Christian Dior S/S 2013 Paris

And this is quite Christian Dior (or possibly YSL Dior). Not Galliano Dior. Not Bohan Dior.
Yes! :heart:.. that's exactly what I'm getting from this, it is very much along the lines of what we've seen him doing at Sander, struggling at one point in his exploration of womenswear and obviously going back to the roots of modern attire, which is Dior, especially the YSL years with all of those elements that are classic and getting a subtle adaptation with newer shapes, detailing. Raf did it before and is doing something similar here, and I love how he's respecting the huge history (even recent one) but giving a thoughtful (and humble) continuity instead of focusing on making a narcissistic spectacle that screams 'I'm here!', which is so common in fashion (just look at Hedi).

I was expecting more or less something like this.. a very Raf collection and with that clash of traditional and modern that he showed for the HC collection. I love that if you take each piece apart, it's not hard to guess it's by Dior.

Any review from the heavyweight yet? That's is the only few opinion I value!!

I think some looks are simple, and some pieces if we saw them worn we wouldn't guess they're Dior (speaking about the suits), but mostly the collections is so Dior, I get Christian vibes in most of the cocktail dresses, this collection is different, quite simple, quite glamorous, and quite feminine.
and for the people who say it's boring, don't all of those hideous dresses in the collection make it FAR from being boring?
I still believe that Raf can do better, let's see the next seasons, that's a good start IMHO

This is pretty awful. Not awful on the scale of Gattyen's first Dior effort, but still so. If the clothing was flattering I could at least understand, but most of it isn't and what's worse is that there are pieces where the lacking quality of craftsmanship can actually be seen. I liked a few pieces, the ones that really accentuated the waist (even though we've seen them time and time again), with those full printed skirts, as well as some of the initial tailoring. Generally speaking, the collection is far too predictable. Raf needs to bring something new to the brand's iconic 'new look', instead of rehashing styles of old.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just think that if I would erase all the Dior tags from this collection, it would be really hard to identify the designer behind it. And that´s pretty sad for a high-end fashion label, because they heavily rely on identity.
You could tell me this collection is from a Mango or a H&M show; and I could believe it.
I love minimalism...but minimalism must not be an excuse to just launch basic garments.

the first half was so boring, like an extension of the July couture show but the 2nd half was absolutely beautiful. Those final dresses are to die for. They're so fresh, something I've never seen before.

The clothes are average at best, if I did not know this was Raf,I would not give this a second look it honestly looks like a banal version of something oscar de la renta would put out lol. I love Raf at Jil Sander , but not this! The bags and accessories are also very lack lustre.

I'm sorry but I just can't...I wanna show you 3 looks from last season Gaytten's Dior show (image credit: stylebistro)

Christian+Dior+Fall+2012+5NBzQeYlwTbl.jpg
Christian+Dior+Fall+2012+Hf7pAJz88ptl.jpg
Christian+Dior+Fall+2012+HlGcOeBI6QUl.jpg

so basically the embroidered top paired with skinny pants showed in the couture show that EVERYBODY LOVED because it was "oh so minimalism and oh so Jil Sander and oh so Raf" was already done by Gaytten but of course nobody cared :rolleyes:
And what about those last 3 dresses of this new collection...they look so similar to those I posted...why is everybody so obsessed with Raf then since he's been doing the same stuff Gaytten did only 6 months ago?Where's the innovation and the new Dior everybody is looking about?Images speaks for themselves!

I miss Galliano. The clothes & styling are so unflattering and messy.

To Disco,

I certainly prefer Oscar over this.

To all those complaining about posters not knowing what Dior really was,

It seems you don't either as this certainly is not it.

This is some hodgepodge of malformed notions of "The New Look" and strained attempts at "modern elegance," or whatever verbage that'll be used by critics to cover up the shortcomings of this collection.

My distaste for this collection has nothing to do with the fact that the clothes look poorly composed and thought out, seem bulky and unflattering, lack a logical, rational design philosophy or a finesse in handling the fabrics, or that the best parts look like money makers off the party dress rack at BCBG.

No, it comes from the fact that Simons has utterly failed to provide a compelling version of the modern Dior woman. Of course it has its merits, just as Pilati's collections did, but he also failed to provide a compelling version of the modern Saint Laurent woman. But at least his collections, as off brand as they were, still had conviction. If LVMH hired Simons to get what he was doing for Jil Sander then they must feel cheated, those collections were far more appropriate and signifcant to the Dior brand then these last two awkward moments Simons has given us.

I give him another season to turn it around before the media hype wears off and LVMH starts to dog him for the drop in sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
I damn the day Galliano took Dior. He destroyed most of Christian DNA in it. Now, every freaking designer that takes Dior will be compared to him. People should compare Raf to Dior NEVER to Galliano. Galliano was the ultimate drama queen. Dior isn't about drama, never was. I would see Grace Kelly wearing this but NEVER something by Galliano.

That being said, I don't like this collection. The HC one was way better than this. He's stepping a dangerous line... a "fresh, funny and young" one. Those shiny/metallic fabrics with bright colours are AWFUL. Something Gaytten would use for sure. He's giving attention to the critics and trying new things. And I don't like it. I loved the floral long skirts and the suits, thou.

Please, Raf... keep it classic not dramatic!

To Disco,

I certainly prefer Oscar over this.

To all those complaining about posters not knowing what Dior really was,

It seems you don't either as this certainly is not it.

This is some hodgepodge of malformed notions of "The New Look" and strained attempts at "modern elegance," or whatever verbage that'll be used by critics to cover up the shortcomings of this collection.

My distaste for this collection has nothing to do with the fact that the clothes look poorly composed and thought out, seem bulky and unflattering, lack a logical, rational design philosophy or a finesse in handling the fabrics, or that the best parts look like money makers off the party dress rack at BCBG.

No, it comes from the fact that Simons has utterly failed to provide a compelling version of the modern Dior woman. Of course it has its merits, just as Pilati's collections did, but he also failed to provide a compelling version of the modern Saint Laurent woman. But at least his collections, as off brand as they were, still had conviction. If LVMH hired Simons to get what he was doing for Jil Sander then they must feel cheated, those collections were far more appropriate and signifcant to the Dior brand then these last two awkward moments Simons has given us.

I give him another season to turn it around before the media hype wears off and LVMH starts to dog him for the drop in sales.

:flower: great post!

I'm sorry but I just can't...I wanna show you 3 looks from last season Gaytten's Dior show (image credit: stylebistro)

so basically the embroidered top paired with skinny pants showed in the couture show that EVERYBODY LOVED because it was "oh so minimalism and oh so Jil Sander and oh so Raf" was already done by Gaytten but of course nobody cared :rolleyes:
And what about those last 3 dresses of this new collection...they look so similar to those I posted...why is everybody so obsessed with Raf then since he's been doing the same stuff Gaytten did only 6 months ago?Where's the innovation and the new Dior everybody is looking about?Images speaks for themselves!

This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->