Christian Dior S/S 2013 Paris

I am really fed up of fashion critiques using minimalism to cover up banal and boring clothes lol. I have gone through this collection many times and all I see is refined boredom.

It's funny how people are implying that the word "minimalism" is an excuse. I'm certain everyone has a valid reason for using that word.

Last edited by a moderator:
underwhelming. I appreciate simple collections, I just think Raf has much more talent to show, then this.

well I used that word beacause it looks like that!! at least to me, simple, clean, nice, chic and I cannot understand why is crap

Is raf wearing a Helmut Lang denim jacket?

The most exciting moment on the runway for me. :lol:

I'm so tired of retro modernism and somewhat artificial modesty he presented over the last couple of seasons at JS and now Dior. I couldn't possibly hate it, I appreciate the construction, but it doesn't touch me the way his work usually did, I really miss the subversive element in his cllections. :( Really looking forward to the day he leaves the retro silhouette behind.

The first 6 looks are quite brilliant, his tailoring is always immaculate and the styling with the neck scarves is charming but i can't get behind the full skirts...they're hard to pull if you aren't a model.

Overall, i don't love this as much as his couture collection.

This is so awful, more awful than Dolce and Gabbana.

There's a certain moment, when I needed to say that ... But it seems OBVIOUS to anyone here that you don't like minimalism in Fashion, nor that you like Jil Sander, Raf Simons etc. so why even bother looking at these collections and just say oh this is disgusting, this awful ... Especially, if you don't explain why you feel this way ... You have to explain, one day, your point of view - even though as stated it is quite obvious you prefer what is vulgar, dell Russo-sequence and expensive stuff, because expensive stuff are always good, right ?
:innocent:

OMG, I'm so tired of these comments .... :doh::ninja:
So now I'm gonna look at the show ... Sorry to interrupt ...

* mods, I know we have to keep it calm but geez that guy ...

Definitely a major image shift from the eccentric Galliano, but these clothes will sell. They're chic, understated, sophisticated...

^
Or they actually like the clothes?

:shock: WFT!?! What is this!?!
Totally NOT Dior - neither Christian Dior-Dior, nor Galliano-Dior. There isn`t even consistence in the collection itself - it is all over the place.

What a TOTAL MESS! :yuk:

Thanks for trying, Mr. Simons - it`s time to leave and make space for John Galliano`s return!

John Galliano era was wonderful, full of luxury, theatrical, beautiful, but he's not going back, Raf Simons is a complete new era, modern, minimal, extraordinary, remember that Raf is doing Dior, not John Galliano. For me this was great, except that orange dress at #107 (I agree with you on that one)
And for those who say this is not Dior. They need to see what Dior really is.
Bravo Raf Simons!

^
Or they actually like the clothes?

Oh no, they could never. They are obviously paid. How could anyone like this? Bring back the tacky, unwearable drama of the last 4 seasons and all of Galliano's issues & sh**ty personality. Because Karl is simply not enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
"he is going to", when in 4 seasons ? Jeez, when you have so much power and oportunities, every collection should be breathtaking. If you Google Christian Dior, you will find incredible volumes, he is one of the best couturier ever with Balenciaga and Givenchy. Galliano used to work those volumes, in his own fantasy and rules.

Do you see incredibles volumes ? Do you feel the DNA of Raf Simons, the Belgian fashion designer known for this cutting edge silhouettes ? If you call those itsy-bitsy "I am going to sell well" dress strong pieces, good for you. I except a lot and I will stay honnest with my thoughts:flower::flower::flower:.
I'm not an idiot in terms of Galliano's work. But you know what? He's not designing for Dior anymore! You would think that after a year and a half people would get over it, but he seems to be happy now. He's got time on his own which he hasn't had in fifteen years. But Raf is following the DNA of the HOUSE, not Galliano. Galliano had his own way of working. He always has, every designer does. And this collection will sell well because the clothes are made perfectly and it's very accessible.

You need to do some research about the House of Dior. Because frankly you don't seem to know anything about it.

Hey guys remember that Galliano was GREAT doing drama collections and make showstopping gowns but he was also capable of doing excellent minimalism collections just like SS07 or SS06 (which is like the perfect example of doing simple clothing without going drama and overembellishments)

At Dior, a Triumph of 21st Century Modernism
By SUZY MENKES

PARIS — It wasn’t enough to hear Robert De Niro drawl from behind his beard: “I liked it.” Nor for the supermodel Natalia Vodianova to spread an enchanted red-lipstick smile at the end of theChristian Dior show on Friday.

It was the roar that went up backstage behind the wafting pastel curtains, echoing the clapping in the graceful interlocking salons, that proved the designer Raf Simons had exceeded all expectations.

His Dior show for summer 2013 was a triumph of 21st-century modernism, with all the codes of purity and simplicity challenged. In the designer’s hands, rigid lines melted into rounded shapes, tailored coats broken out into pleats and luminous fabrics reflected, literally and metaphorically, a change of mood.

“I am rethinking the idea of minimalism and it can be sensual and sexual, fun and free,” Mr. Simons said. “I looked back to Mr. Dior’s period after the war and then at the whole idea in the ’60s and ’70s of psychological and sexual freedom and liberation.”

The Belgian designer was dressed as far as could be imagined from the fanciful outfits of his precursor, John Galliano, wearing, symbolically, a denim jacket from Helmut Lang, the founding father of minimalist fashion. It was from 1996 — the year that Mr. Simons started his own label of streetwise men’s wear.

For the famous Parisian couture house, the designer pulled out of the Dior archives, to which he had paid a stiff but reverential bow at July’s couture, ideas that all made sense for a contemporary woman.

His first success was to turn the famous curvy Bar jacket of 1947, a sensual shape that marked the end of wartime austerity, into something spot on for today: a pantsuit with all its 1980s androgyny redrawn with a compass instead of a square.

The curvy lines appeared as shapely coat dresses or as a fantasy of organza covering the torso like whipped cream. Many of these parachute-light materials were shot through with reflective effects, which also appeared as an iridescent strip cutting through the tailoring — not to mention the eyebrows twinkling with sequins.

This futuristic feel made even that most classic of couture outfits — the black sweater with a ballgown skirt — look hyper-modern, as Christian Dior’s beloved roses glowed in a pattern with an intergalactic sheen.

Mr. Simons had played with the ball skirt during his time at Jil Sander, but he admitted backstage that he had felt constrained at that house by such specific streamlining, founded on “a white shirt.” The Dior version was his personal interpretation of new millennial modernism, which included painting the audience’s famous gilded salon chairs black.

Apart from the excellence of the different concepts and the way that they were respectful of women’s bodies and independent attitudes, this was one of the best regenerations of the spirit of a heritage brand seen on the runway since Karl Lagerfeld first reinterpreted Chanel almost 30 years ago.

“What I am hoping for is beauty — and the continuation of Dior’s history,” said Bernard Arnault, the chairman and chief executive of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, Dior’s parent company.

His wish was amply granted.
nytimes

Or because of Toledano's money.

I'm sorry but this is just plain stupid. Just because journalists are giving positive reviews to a collection you didn't like, they're being bribed? Whatever happened to different opinions? :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->