Dolce & Gabbana F/W 10.11 Milan

while i agree with many who feel this collection hews a bit too closely to their last, one must admit that these boys have pulled off the true fashion trick: creating an entire aesthetic they can call their own. we don't look at this collection and say, "this is so michael kors" or "this is so balenciaga." and it's important that they own what's there's because it's good. for many seasons, we have seen their stuff so quickly and thoroughly knocked off by high street because they so blindly followed trend and whim, but in this season about getting back to one's roots and serving up bonafide investment pieces, they have given them the stuff legends are made of.

Stefano and Domenico are seriously running out of ideas.

Stefano and Domenico are seriously running out of ideas.

come now. fashion's impatience remains notorious. just one year ago, so many criticized them for being all over the map. painterly vamp to country bumpkin to pajama chic to marilyn madness in less than four seasons. not to mention a crazy array of themed menswear lines, bridge lines, launching a cosmetic line, AND two new fragrances. let them have their retrospective: they have certainly earned it as they've been at this for TWENTY FIVE years. that's longer than many of their critics in this forum have been alive.

00480m.jpg
00170m.jpg

00120m.jpg
00160m.jpg

style.com

What a deftly combination of polka dots&animal prints!:clap: I likeeee it!

^^ I don't remember anybody criticizing them for doing those collections. They were (and are) good collections and I think that's what people noticed. I mean, the Spring 2008 was everywhere.

The quote that pops into my mind is 'Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable we must change it every six months.' The Spring 2010 collection was good, but designers shouldn't reuse the same ideas no matter how long they've been in the business. Many designers have been in the business longer, and haven't done two collections that are practically the same in a row.

It's unacceptable in my opinion. They had it right the first time and they shouldn't do it again, because it usually won't be as good as the first time. Case in point: Givenchy Spring 2007 and Spring 2010. Both good collections with quite similar influences, but Spring 2007 was much better in my opinion.

*shrugs*

^^ I don't remember anybody criticizing them for doing those collections. They were (and are) good collections and I think that's what people noticed. I mean, the Spring 2008 was everywhere.

just go do a simple search for those seasons, you'll find the criticism in those threads. also, cathy horyn and others did not have too many nice things to say about some of those collections....especially the schiaperrelli-esque marilyn one.

Many designers have been in the business longer, and haven't done two collections that are practically the same in a row.

seriously? many well-established house put near-identical runway shows on season after season. from ralph lauren to paul smith to max mara. yes, i understand dolce and gabbana stand apart from brands like that. but they're not the first to put on awfully similar shows in a couple of seasons in a row. one could easily switch out the trademark ralph lauren shimmery slip dress from season to season without anyone noticing.

I'm beginning to warm up to this collection. I mean I find it incredible how they sent out a well crafted collection of beautiful clothes that just embody what the quintessential Dolce look is. It's not my favorite Dolce collection & it's definitely not the most creative from what we've seen from them, but it's indeed executed beautifully and I do appreciate this collection for that.

There's something durable about the fabrics they use, which I like. And the patterns, as expected, are good and detailed. I just feel bad for any model/real female who has to face snow or sleet on those hemlines.

The collection really reminds me on the SS10 one...they are practically the same...this like a bonus...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waffleninja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->