Gareth Pugh F/W 10.11 Paris

Not a fan of the hair and makeup but LOVE the jackets. Want the jackets. Need the jackets!

I always see people say that his old stuff had no market and was unwearable and thus he had to change... but I own quite a few of his old pieces from circa 2007... and I find them really functional and wear them all the time. Theatrical, whimsical design is not synonymous with unwearability or impracticality. he could have progressed and matured his signature look without putting the fire out entirely.

I actually like where he is going with this. It isn't bad to be "commercial" when you are still able to have a point of view. He is able to still express his aesthetic but still make some money and that is commendable. These pieces are extremely wearable looking clothes and seem to be very well made. I bet people are going to be all over this.

this is slowly morphing into rick owens....but i still like it!

more from daylife:

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

x610.jpg
x610.jpg

x610.jpg

I LOVE THIS!! the make-up is done exceptionally well.

Saying he has become commercial is way too harsh. This collection shows maturation in his style, he is growing up as a designer. He has made a name for himself because of his outlandish designs however now he is showing us that he can also produce a fully wearable collection too. I love this collection, it’s a great step forward for Pugh ^_^

Its not as if this line is any cheaper than Owens, so why would someone want to buy RO light when they can just get the real thing?

IDK, I have never been a huge Pugh fan.

This collection basically shows he CAN actually design ready to wear. You won't make any profit off costume pieces.

It looks amazing.

This doesn't look anything like Rick Owens to me. Just because Owens uses leather doesn't mean its patented or that only HE can design with it. This is an absolutely amazing, structured collection (although it may not be your taste) And when you think of it, you can say any collection looks like it came from any other collection. Fashion is a trickle down affect and recyclable. If you need proof of that look at how all the 80s stuff came back in style.

Say what you want about Pugh, atleast he's not as predictable in terms of design like...oh..say Balmain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woah. I'm really not into this slightly architectured stuff, but I really like this. It's dark, it's modern, it is tailored. And so cool. I tend to agree with those who see Rick Owen in here, but I guess they have quite similar style overall (not saying the same, but they both do seem to have a vision that touches the one of the other). But since they execute it differently I'm fine with that.
So I'm really looking forward to see more pictures!

^ If you can't see even passing similarities to Rick Owens' work I'd suggest taking a closer look at his archives. They're nearly impossible to miss, and have nothing to do with fabric.

I like it though it feels like i've seen it before. That make-up is horrible; its like someone took a blow torch to the models foreheads!:lol:

I am very familiar.

Maybe you should look at how many other random collections seem to copy other designers. I haven't seen this kind of work from rick owens. Yeah it's black and structured so? You are all complaining about something that happens, ALL the time.

I don't think we say he's copying anyone's work (at least I am not). It's just that there are resemblances, a vibe that seems similar. Nothing wrong with that, and I'm definately not complaining since I like the work of both :huh:

^^ I totally agree spike, Gareth is trying to be something he's not and Im so bored of it. There is literally nothing at all new here from him. Black leather - check, geometric lines - check, long unattractive silhouettes - check, this seems to form the basis of his entire design vocabulary.

I'm sick of people using this creativity vs commerce argument. Yes one needs to sell clothes but thats what the showroom is for. Shows are supposed to be shows and they are supposed to make you dream... This is making me do anything but!

Every time a designer moves to Paris it seems like one more death nail hammered into the coffin of theatrical showmanship!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->