Gucci F/W 2015.16 Milan

I think part of the reason why this doesn't work and Hedi Slimane at Saint Laurent, or Tom Ford back when he revitalized Gucci, Galliano at Dior, Phoebe Philo at Celine, even Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli at Valentino all did/do is because those people all delivered something that WASN'T being done anywhere else. Whether it was glamour or theater or sex drugs and rock'n'roll or hedonism or romance or strictness, those specific designers had something to say that nobody else was saying at the time and were able to say it uniquely enough that, besides redefining their respective brands, they managed to lead the fashion dialogue as opposed to contributing to it. That's so not the case here, and it wasn't the case with Giannini either, but in Michele's case he's so clearly deriving a look from other, better designers -- Miuccia at Prada, Consuelo Castiglione at Marni, etc -- that it's very hard to take this seriously as any sort of authoritative "start of a new chapter."

This is just Prada/Marni/No. 21 for people who are too afraid to commit to the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna say just two things of the entire collection: WHY? and HOW? :blink:

This is like Alessandro was thinking: "Ok, let's make rich hipsters look like homeless people" and this was the result.

At Gucci, a New Philosophy
By VANESSA FRIEDMAN

MILAN — It began with a new beginning.

As Alessandro Michele’s first show as creative director of Gucci — possibly the most anticipated of Milan Fashion Week, certainly the one with the highest stakes — opened the Italian fall women’s wear season, even the entry seemed a declaration of intent.

All black, it served as a portal to ferry the audience to the main theater, where the traditional black velvet bleachers and central catwalk had been replaced by central bleachers framed by an industrial metal catwalk. And on each seat: a sheet of paper that mused on time and disconnection, framed by two quotes — one from the Italian philosopher Giorgio Agamben and one from the French philosopher Roland Barthes — and titled after the latter: “The Contemporary is the Untimely.”

It might not have entirely made sense, but on one level the point was easy to understand: This was not your grandmother’s (or even last season’s), Gucci anymore. Except actually it was.

In his debut women’s wear collection, Mr. Michele delved into an imaginary attic trunk full of vintage treasures, recombining the elements for the girls and boys of a haute flea market world.

There were see-through point d’esprit blouses paired with below-the-knee pleated leather skirts; pink and red chevron minks and floral print trouser suits; rose-speckled chiffon tea dresses and red crepes with asymmetric tiers of pleats. There were Lurex skirts and sweater vests, p*ssy bow shirts and lace mini-dresses and rabbit coats; there were male and female models on the runway who looked almost interchangeable.

It was all merchandised to the nth degree, with nerdy oversize tortoise shell eyeglasses, knit beanie hats and brocade turbans, floral hair combs dripping wisteria, rings on every finger, canvas double G chain-strap bags, horsebit loafer/slippers and clogs lined in fur at the back, hairy bedroom slippers fit for Cousin It, and, and — and it was all, said Mr. Michele backstage before the show, intended for sale. And then he said something else.

His boyfriend, he said, likes to read him excerpts from his own books, and that’s where Mr. Michele first heard the Barthes and Agamben words. “I’m not really interested about philosophy,” he admitted, right before he also said he was “a lot nervous.” His connection to the relatively abstruse texts, in other words, was a human one.

Which was also the thing about this collection: while it was dressed up in the language and atmosphere (and expectations) of the Next Big Thing, it actually had the unpretentious feel of the comfortably familiar. It wasn’t Fashion, it was fashion; a parade of pieces with a nostalgic romance that could be plucked from a wardrobe, or plunked into one, with ease.

In this, Mr. Michele shares an approach with Nicolas Ghesquière of Louis Vuitton and Phoebe Philo of Céline, both of whom have been much applauded for their willingness to make clothes. (This sounds ridiculous, but in the through-the-looking-glass logic of the runway world makes sense: It describes pieces that put the wearer, as opposed to the concept, first).

The results are easy to buy, in both senses of that word. But at this point in the swiftly turning fashion cycle they are not, by any definition, actually new.
nytimes

GUCCI: ROMANTIC ATTIC CHIC
By Suzy Menkes

"What I am trying to do is to put something poetic into a powerful, iconic brand. I am really inspired by different time periods, and that's something we are missing in fashion," said Alessandro Michele backstage.

This was just before he unleashed his romantic, girlish look, putting his beating fashion heart into filmy fabrics, flower patterns, coats with a pretty decoration at the back and furry loafers that you can bet have brought orders texted in to Gucci already.

The show was an absolute volte-face from the streamlined, crisp, urban Gucci of the last decade, when Alessandro was working under Frida Giannini.

She has now left, and Alessandro convinced François-Henri Pinault, CEO of the Kering luxury group, to give him the chance of a lifetime.

And who wouldn't succumb to this great romantic? With his dramatic black curls, intense enthusiasm and vision that encompasses the Renaissance and sweet floral prints, along with the idea of a modern woman who runs to answer her lover at the door wearing a dress that is part nightgown and part Victorian frock.

"I love Jane Eyre," said the designer, referring to the heroine of Jane Austen's best-known novel. This style can best be described as "attic chic" hence a tailored, flower-printed jacket with the mark of a fold at the hips, as though the garment had been locked in a trunk for half a century.

Berets perched on the head suggested a young French woman from an earlier era.

The show was engaging in its passion and visual energy. It was not a triumph - that would suggest a more pushy, in-your-face collection, rather than this dream of a gentle woman wearing semi-sheer dresses, handcrafted knits and back-to-the-Seventies trouser suits, or tops and pleated velvet skirts.

All were distinguished by appetising colours, like a ginger coat with fondant-pink fur cuffs, or a petal-like asparagus green skirt with a lilac blouse and red flowers in the hair.

The clothes - including those for men - stood out as young, logo- and status-free, fitting into the dynamic of Hedi Slimane's Saint Laurent.

But is it Gucci? A bag with a Napoleonic bumblebee? Shoes bobbling with fluffy fur baubles? A whiff of the brocade and velvet from an opulent past?

The question is better asked like this: what is Gucci? Is it primarily a leather company that makes clothes (like Louis Vuitton)? Is it the hot and sexy look that Tom Ford invented in the Nineties, his heyday now a generation ago? Did Frida Giannini's chic and slick look better catch the essence of Gucci? And above all, are Alessandro's wild, romantic dreams going to stop the fall in Gucci's sales and profits?

"We are very excited. Alessandro is like a hidden jewel, he was under the radar," said Marco Bizzarri, Gucci's CEO, sitting with François-Henri Pinault and his wife Salma Hayek, who was already wearing a trouser suit with navy jacket and wine-red pants from the new collection.

"Business will grow, but we must maintain creativity," Bizzarri continued. "Even big luxury names cannot do something average."

I don't know about the finances, but I warmed instantly to the new designer, for his passion, his enthusiasm and his intelligence.

It has been a long time since luxury seemed so romantic. Alessandro put his heart in the show, and it showed.
vogue.co.uk

What did I just watched.... :ninja: besides all of the 'inspiration' taken from at least 4 of his fellow designers.

Gucci went from sleek, modern, alluring and a sexy but subtle woman, to a frumpy girl that has ill-fitting clothes, doesn't like to party, doesn't go to great restaurants or gets invites for memorable parties because she likes to stay in the house reading for her cats and has no sense of confidence or notion of sexiness.

Those pants with the dropped crotch, look awful ... they are so draggy that the last model can't even walk in them! My favorite look was the dress with the plunging neckline with the bedazzled bird intertwined.

Also those fugly 'hairy' shoes makes the models look like they are dragging dead dogs... :ninja: and the rest of the shoes look so orthopedic and... sandals for winter, that's useful.

Regarding the menswear also presented in this show, no matter if you gay or straight, I think the majority of men doesn't want those frilly shirts, loose suits, satin bows and all of those delicate clothes, at least in my opinion, because you can't go to work looking like you are wearing pajamas, well.... honestly I think that Alessandro has sunken the house for both genders.

Casting wise he is doing the Hedi type of casting, hiring people who don't usually walk in fashion shows, so their walks are really awkward and that's something that makes the collection even weirder and hard to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Milan Fashion Week Gucci review: Alessandro Michele makes small steps in the right direction
By ALEXANDER FURY

There are certain things you expect from Gucci. Well two, actually: sex, and sales. After reaching near-bankruptcy in the early nineties, it spun into acquisition overdrive, founding its own luxury conglomerate which was then absorbed into the now-Kering group.

The other brands under the then-Gucci group - Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Stella McCartney - were cool, but not especially commercial. Gucci was always the behemoth - it contributes more than 60% of Kering’s total income, and revenue for the label in 2014 stood at £2.26bn. Gucci is the second-highest luxury house on Forbes’ 100 most valuable brands - above Hermes, Cartier or Prada, and only below Louis Vuitton.

But that £2.26bn revenue is actually representative of an annual drop of 1.1% in sales, the latest in a two year decline. Evidently, Gucci’s brand of sex isn’t selling as well as it used to. The result? Well, several. The Gucci CEO Patrizio di Marco departed the company in December; the creative director (also his partner) Frida Giannini left less than a month later. Giannini’s formula was, in a word, formulaic. She stuck tight to the curves Tom Ford cemented as the house’s signatures - the curves of women in sexy, clingy, slightly seventies dresses; the curves of masculine muscles in buttock-cupping trousers and tight jackets; and the curves of the Gucci double-G in accessories. It was reliable, but became predictable. Hence Gucci’s sales stagnation.

And hence the installation of Alessandro Michele, a former assistant to Giannini, as creative director, after an interim menswear collection seen as a dress rehearsal and presented following Giannini’s premature departure in January (she was scheduled to stay on until March - this collection would have been her last).

That’s the back-story - one so complicated it recalls the mid-nineties intrigues and murders that kept the Gucci name in the gossip columns rather than the fashion pages. It’s also one hell of a legacy for Alessandro Michele to live up to - or maybe, live down. Hence the fact his opening gambit for Gucci seemed, for want of a better-term, anti-Gucci. Or at least non-slick.

The Gucci press release for autumn/winter 2015 opened with a quote by the Italian philosopher Giorgio Agamben. It closed with another by Roland Barthes. It was evident that the new creative director Alessandro Michele wanted to forge a distance between his Gucci and its past. Watching Michele’s parade of lived in, pre-creased clothes, of heavy brocade coats, pleated chintzy chiffons and knackered furs in mildewed shades of soured cream and peat brown, you were struck by their absolute break with Gianini’s tenure, and the Gucci look we know, and used to love.

So there’s one goal achieved.

Buried in there were plenty of references to Gucci - the double-G pattern canvas, a cash-cow which until recently was being phased out in an urge to heighten Gucci’s luxury cachet, made an appearance (and multiple reappearances) in chain-strapped envelope bags. There was even a direct throw-back to Fordean Gucci, to a slithery satin shirt in vibrating turquoise worn with hip-hugging trousers. Fords was tugged open to the navel over greased flesh; Michele’s was chastely fastened. The message? Times have changed.

Overall, there was the feeling this show was about selling you clothes, rather than Gucci’s previous, pre-packaged sexual buzz. Contrary to immediate impression, there was stuff here for the existing Gucci woman (all that see-through stuff, all that Gucci monogram canvas). However the intention was to appeal to more than those apparently ever-decreasing circles. A wise move. It’s early days - for Michele, and for a new era at Gucci. This was a small step, bravely, in the right direction. Hopefully, it’s the start of a giant leap.
independent.co.uk

This collection is to Gucci what mennonite clothing is to Victoria's Secret.

The new Gucci woman looks a lot like Lisa Simpson´s teacher (Miss Hoover:(

lisa_simpson_miss_hoover.png

Alessandro Michele really must have strong contacts in the fashion industry just to be allow to deliver a collection like...this. I don´t see any talent as a fashion designer in him.

The collection is like a forgotten random Trussardi collection from 2003, mixed with some Prada prints here and there.

From sex in the 90s, to total anorgasmia in 2015.

pic font http://die-simpsons.org

Something that journalists need to learn about Alessandro Michele is bravery to actually write what they really feel about this collection, I don't believe them, I'm not buying those reviews, I know that times have changed, but this collection it was not a triumph like Suzy Menkes wrote.

Something that journalists need to learn about Alessandro Michele is bravery to actually write what they really feel about this collection, I don't believe them, I'm not buying those reviews, I know that times have changed, but this collection it was not a triumph like Suzy Menkes wrote.

Amen.

This looks like a Miu Miu collection. Quit disappointing and already seen. The majority of the models look like middle school kids, which has nothing to do with Gucci's vision or the brand itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->