I have just seen it.

For those who don't want to read my rant: every bit of hype this movie is receiving is deserved and the expectations are met. It's an instant classic that bears repeat viewings. Go see it.

For those who have a bit of time
:

The four things that made the movie so amazing to me (by increasing order of importance:(

4 - The special effects: CGI and Fxs are double edged swords. When overused or when used to cover the absence of a plot, you get Transformer 2, 2012 or Matrix Revolutions. You need to have the right balance between spectacular and eye-pleasing, and know when to stop piling it on or it comes off as overwhelming and gimmicky. Cameron was very clever: he used the Fx to serve his story not to pump it full of steroids like the three examples I mentioned.
The animated characters are fascinating to look at, with every subtle expression and body language realistically rendered .
The visuals (especially the fauna) are simply awe-inspiring. When the movie end, you will be sad to leave such a magical universe.

3 - The main characters: Cameron is one of the few directors in Hollywood who truly loves and respect women. All his movies have strong, independent yet fully feminine characters and Avatar gives one of his best so far (Neytiri, played by Saldana). All the main female roles are meaty and compelling, and I really related to that.
Sam Worthington is incredible: quietly charismatic, subtly sensitive, charming, funny and incredibly sexy even as a blue cat-man. Those who saw him in Terminator know that he can shine even when given crappy material, so imagine him in that.
As for the other characters, there is a decent amount of character development given the genre, but the baddies are really caricatured and one-dimensional (money guy wants money, army guy wants to blow things up, yawnnn). But it doesn't spoil the movie and, as I said, the women truly shine in it.

2 - the storytelling: I say story telling not story because the plot is basic and you already know what will happen and how it will end just by watching the trailer. But it's irrelevant as what matters is not what the story is but how the story is told. And it's told beautifully: the dialogues, the pace, the music: everything is just pitch perfect. There isn't a moment of dullness, there isn't a single scene that does not advance the character's development or the plot.
It's the kind of movie that can be watched over and over.

1 - The Alien culture: the humanoid are acted and voiced by African-American actors, and their dress, facial features, way of life and religion (animism and shamanism) are all unmistakably pan-African. I found this amazing.
For once an American director who can look at traditional African cultures with a admiring eye, without paternalism or condescension.
I mean, do you remember that Spielberg movie Amistad where the Africans (supposedly at the center of the story) were treated like props, without even having their language translated? That's pretty much how Hollywood looks at Africa, so the respectful and inspired way Cameron built the whole Na'vi culture, and made it so appealing was really the high point of the movie, and one of the reason this movie is groundbreaking in more ways than just visually.

^i just watched it as well and i have to agree on all accounts, absolutely breathtaking movie
(although the na'vi reminded me more of the native american culture than african) but i like that they weren't portrayed as simple or backward people but rather like their culture albeit minus all our technical luxuries is richer and more complex.

Leona Lewis I See You Avatar Movie Official Music Video Full HD

Aww c'mon you gotta be kidding me, all the good showing times @ my local imax are sold out :angry:

the na'vi reminded me more of the native american culture than african.
I think that's a fair point and watching it again yesterday I saw the native-American influence more clearly. The Flora of-course, is definitely more Americas than Africa, and also the male warriors hair cuts and head gears, plus the language. But the jewelry, women hair-styles, and all the rest still looked pan-African to me. Although, if you think about it, those two cultural families have so much in common that you can see whatever you want to see and still be right.

On another note, I just read an article comparing Avatar to a Disney movie. I think that's a great analogies, it really is a Disney movie for adults.
Plot-wise, it's Pocahontas meet Dance with the Wolf. It has a simple, universally appealing story with moralistic tones with the obligatory love story, and lurid, lush settings: the Disney formula.
But in my mind this is not an insult, on the contrary. The movie made me feel the same way Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin made me feel when I was a kid, and that's a great feeling.
I wish there were more Disney movies for adults. :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from the midnight screening.

EPIC. There is no other word for it.

I think this person on Twitter said it best:
"ghoseb: Avatar Single handedly slices cinema into 2 eras- the Pre Avatar era and the Post Avatar era.. Mr. Cameron - Take a bow."

Be right back...changing my "avatar" :wink:

Didnt see the movie yet but I thought some scenes were really similar
Ferngully Zack et crysta - Un aussi beau rêve

I really want to see this movie.
The reviews here are good. Visually breathtaking and all.

I suspect this movie will be an enormous money-maker. :D

The Twilight fans will take revenge for breaking their record. :D
But movies like that will be watched by everyone. Every age, every gender. This is going to break records.

i actually don't think it will break any records, at least not on opening weekend. many people aren't into the "blue cats" look and the massive CGI, but everyone that's seen it has said it'll change the movies forever and that it's a feast for the eyes (when you watch it in 3D) so i believe it's gonna make a lot of money but rather in the longrun than in the first week. (which is the opposite with NM which was huge in it's first week and then it's numbers dropped above average)

The Twilight fans will take revenge for breaking their record. :D
But movies like that will be watched by everyone. Every age, every gender. This is going to break records.

definintely !

not a fan of those kind of films, at all !!!
but i can tell you, i won't miss this Avatar ...
everbody around me wants to see it !!!

something i just remembered:
my whole cinema burst out laughing when quaritch (i think it was him) said before they were about to attack the hometree "we're gonna fight terrorism with terrorism!"...it was such a bush thing to say, just i snide little remark on politics :lol:

I just saw the movie in 3D and it's fantastic! I may be biased since I love adventure sci-fi films but I really liked it. Sam Worthington & Zoe Saldana make a great duo.

it was so good visually :heart:
watched last night [00:35 showing!], exhausted after work, but didn't fall asleep [often happens].
it's definitely worth seeing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luxnova
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"