TWO pages only?
i'm shocked.
i was expecting a lot more posts about this movie on here.

i have to admit, seeing the trailer i wasn't looking forward to seeing it..with the "blue monkeys" and all. BUT IT WAS AMAZING.

according to imdb.com Cameron initially wanted to start on this shortly after the release of Titanic, but back then no one wanted to fund the film due to the massive CGI effects (i'm guessing its cause it was a new thing).
and so, after 10 years the film is finally released.

nearly 3 hours long, Avatar managed to take my breath away.
i suggest to anyone who's planning to go watch, go to the bathroom before watching.

one of the best movies i've ever seen.Touching and inspiring. I want to live in Pandora!

*Might include spoilers*

I thought it was very, very good.
James Cameron revisits his sci-fi fascination that he explored with Aliens.
Sigourney Weaver (Aliens..) was a character I just loved with such classic quotes as, "Where the hell is my cigarette? Hey, what's wrong with this picture..?" *indicates to self* and on being shot: "This is going to ruin my whole day." I really thought these lines and her kind of humour were really original.. the only time I could think of such humour being used to such a.. funny effect was completely coincidentally in Aliens with the dry and sarcastic troops.
Parts of the film had a Peter Jackson quality about them - that sort of magnificence he tends to employ - such as when the tree fell down there was a huge wide shot that reminded me a lot of the collapsing of Barad-dûr in Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King.
It was a beautiful film with amazing imagery and a fantastic cast, though maybe the implausible scenes which could've only been done with computer animation should have been left to Disney.

Last edited by a moderator:
TWO pages only?
i'm shocked.
So am I.
In the Last Movie you saw thread, Avatar is hardly ever mentioned but when that cr*p-fest New Moon came out, it would pop up every three posts.

Anyway, having seen it in 2D and 3D (regular screen) I can vouch that the visuals are so extraordinary that they work in both cases. Simply stunning to look at either way.
And I'm excited because tomorrow I will see it in IMAX 3D, at last! I assume that will be the ultimate experience so I'm done after that (too much of a good thing...)

Also, for those who really, really loved the movie and want more back story I recommend downloading the screenplay (google it).
It offers a lot of details on Jake's life back on Earth (a plot-line that has been cut out of the movie), as well as extra info on Pandora fauna/flora and the Na'vi. It's also fun to see how different the original screenplay is from the final product (different names/plot/timing).

I have seen it in 3D -regular screen, aswell. And wow beyond impressed, it was magical, the last time i had so much fun watching a movie was when i was little, and i seen The Wizard of Oz for the first time. That is so not exaggerated, my older sister kept saying "woah" throughout this movie, it was hilarious. Was looking forward to it, but honestly wasnt expecting to like it this much, and be so entertained.

Also is it just me or has this movie really not been as hyped as usually big budget movies like this are? Maybe i am living under a rock, but i seriously didnt get raped by all the media promo pr blitz for this movie ala Twlight & New Moon. Which i guess is why appreciated it even more, i only seen a trailer, and read Ebert's review of it beforehand.

And yes, i am taking other friends to see it again.

The behind the scenes video is great, I love seeing how it all came together.

I do agree that this film seemed a little underrated compared to the Twilight series, which is a shame but hopefully with the positive reviews so far more and more people will get into it.

My favorite quote from the movie that I can recall is when Grace (Sigourney W.) is being carried to the white holy tree and she's sort of in a daze and she gazes up during this whole desperate situation and says "I need to collect some samples" :lol::blush: Sad how it ended though.

i saw it last tuesday, i fell in love, its an amazing movie, i really cant wait to watch it in 3D, but when i went it was sold out...
i expect to see this movie at least 3 times in theaters^_^

Also, for those who really, really loved the movie and want more back story I recommend downloading the screenplay (google it).

do you remember which website you got it from?
i'm not familiar with the searching/downloading of this kind of stuff on google.
much appreciated, ty.

ugh, the more i look deeper into the cast and James Cameron the more i'm falling in love with this film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur3WRyR0T5Q
James Cameron is truly an inspirational director. He doesn't seem like he's just in it for the money and fame.

I just finished watching Titanic (1997). Just like for Avatar he and his crew put so much effort into making a film it just makes me appreciate his work so much more.
i don't think he's given enough credit for everything he's done. on the other hand, you flip through magazines or channels on your television and see TWILIGHT everywhere (don't get me started on those die-hard fans)...ugh this just kills me.

Not a very good film, but a highly enjoyable one. The screenplay was crap basically. Simple story. One note characters. Lame dialogue. But the visual effects were stunning. So beautiful in fact that it almost made you not care about the weak storylines. Plus, the whole thing was just a lot of fun. I saw it in 3D and I'd recommend it.

^not Oscar worthy or revolutionary (plot/story-wise), but I would argue that any movie that manage to pull you in its universe for nearly three hours and entertain you for all that time is a very good movie regardless of its weaknesses.

That said, I agree that some characters and plot-lines were simplified to the extreme.
However, I think that Cameron had to keep it simple because of the money that was involved. With around $ 400 millions to make back for the studio, he had to make a universally appealing movie 'not too hard' to understand (if you read the script, there was more characters, more complexity to how the story was presented, but Cameron eventually striped that down to the basics).
Selling 'primitives' blue aliens as the heroes is tricky (so many people seem to be put off from seeing the movie because of them), much trickier than selling the Star Wars universe with its human heroes, for example.
It's not like he could have made Ghost in the Shell with that kind of money.

I just hope that, now that he has a franchise, and the technology to make the next movie cheaper, he will feel freer to challenge the audience and deliver a better written movie.
I'm hopeful: Cameron is good at sequels.
do you remember which website you got it from?
Try thepiratebay.org/browse :flower:. If you have trouble getting it, I'm OK to directly send the .rar file by e-mail (PM me).

^not Oscar worthy or revolutionary (plot/story-wise), but I would argue that any movie that manage to pull you in its universe for nearly three hours and entertain you for all that time is a very good movie regardless of its weaknesses.

That said, I agree that some characters and plot-lines were simplified to the extreme.
However, I think that Cameron had to keep it simple because of the money that was involved. With around $ 400 millions to make back for the studio, he had to make a universally appealing movie 'not too hard' to understand (if you read the script, there was more characters, more complexity to how the story was presented, but Cameron eventually striped that down to the basics).
Selling 'primitives' blue aliens as the heroes is tricky (so many people seem to be put off from seeing the movie because of them), much trickier than selling the Star Wars universe with its human heroes, for example.
It's not like he could have made Ghost in the Shell with that kind of money.

I just hope that, now that he has a franchise, and the technology to make the next movie cheaper, he will feel freer to challenge the audience and deliver a better written movie.
I'm hopeful: Cameron is good at sequels.Try thepiratebay.org/browse :flower:. If you have trouble getting it, I'm OK to directly send the .rar file by e-mail (PM me).

James Cameron is dat chu? ^_^:lol:

Maybe I played too much fantasy RPG's but I can't seem to enjoy this movie. I find many similarities. Not that similar, but still...

Just back from the IMAX 3D. It is totally worth the ticket price even if you've already seen it in regular 3D because there is no loss of light in IMAX which means the image is as clear as 2D but the sheer size of the screen (as well as the 3D of course) transports you inside the image, like a virtual reality program.
It's a hard crash back to hearth after that.
James Cameron is dat chu? ^_^
Nope, but he should cut me a check considering how much times I've seen it. :lol:
Sorry if I come out obnoxious. I don't usually stan for movies and it's not even as if I consider it the best movie ever made, but I'm unusually enthusiastic about the whole experience.

But I'll shut up now.:ninja:

Last edited by a moderator:
so there will be a sequel? I knew it from the way Jakesully opened his eyes in the end, lol.

^it's supposed to be a trilogy and the next movie is apparently no prequel. me and my brothers were already wondering what could happen next
and so many people who never go to the movies watch this one in the cinemas (over here) it's massively popular overseas(or to me here at home). and you can't compare avatar and New moon, avatar seems to be making just as much money this weekend as last, whereas NM was dropping like a rock after the first week. plus it was a sequel with a huge tween-fandom. if the numbers at "boxofficemojo" are correct avatar made 614million dollars after only 10 days NM made 662million in 38 days (worldwide).
i don't even want to start comparing stories (avatar was already lacking, but NM has NO message to speak of), acting, effects or story-telling, it's two completely different leagues:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->