Jil Sander F/W 10.11 Milan

It doesn't bode well when a designer looks to Tomb Raider as a source for feminist inspiration. If this was Simons trying to appease Sander's real women centered tradition than he needs to start thinking about real women. The clothes that were wearable, and I don't mean those camel toe inducing jumpsuits or the discombobulated dress-coat amalgams, could have been left to the showroom. Dare I say but with these past two collections my confidence in Simons has severely diminished.

It doesn't bode well when a designer looks to Tomb Raider as a source for feminist inspiration. If this was Simons trying to appease Sander's real women centered tradition than he needs to start thinking about real women. The clothes that were wearable, and I don't mean those camel toe inducing jumpsuits or the discombobulated dress-coat amalgams, could have been left to the showroom. Dare I say but with these past two collections my confidence in Simons has severely diminished.

Those sorts of women could buy Simons' take on Chanel skirt suits. And I think they would bite, because no one with much taste, given the recession, would want to be wearing a brand new, obviously real Chanel suit.

(I still don't quite see the Tomb Raider and Anna-in-Chanel elements meshing well together, but he certainly gives something for different demographics with this approach)

So disappointed....I had high expectations of Raf Simmons/Jil Sander, but this collection isn't even fulfilling basic conceptual criteria of his previous work. All the Tomb-Raider/Anna Wintour references sound suspiciously tacked-on as an after-fact to try to lend meaning to outfits that weren't put together with any considerable effort. You don't need themes or metaphors when you send out a great collection. Hope he brings back his old self next season.

the first eight looks are just gorgeous! so well tailored
but the rest...don't know what to say. disappointing..?

clean and elegant, and even some colors and patterns. wonderful collection!

Those sorts of women could buy Simons' take on Chanel skirt suits. And I think they would bite, because no one with much taste, given the recession, would want to be wearing a brand new, obviously real Chanel suit.

(I still don't quite see the Tomb Raider and Anna-in-Chanel elements meshing well together, but he certainly gives something for different demographics with this approach)

I don't think so. Women who buy Chanel suits will just opt for less decoration, not confusing imitations.

I don't think so. Women who buy Chanel suits will just opt for less decoration, not confusing imitations.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because I don't consider women who buy Chanel suits to be a major consumer of Jil Sander clothes. Sure, the Chanel woman and the Jil woman are probably in the same socio-economic class, but Chanel is far too stuffy and ostentatious for the Jil woman. I think the original commenter who I replied to was trying to say that there isn't much for a modern businesswoman (a demographic Raf/Jil plays well for) in this collection, and that's where I saw the Chanel-type suits key.
I could easily imagine the sorts of women who would never step foot in a Chanel boutique but would find a pared-down, reinvented Chanel-type suit from Jil Sander to be an attractive buy this Fall. But maybe that's just me.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because I don't consider women who buy Chanel suits to be a major consumer of Jil Sander clothes. Sure, the Chanel woman and the Jil woman are probably in the same socio-economic class, but Chanel is far too stuffy and ostentatious for the Jil woman. I think the original commenter who I replied to was trying to say that there isn't much for a modern businesswoman (a demographic Raf/Jil plays well for) in this collection, and that's where I saw the Chanel-type suits key.
I could easily imagine the sorts of women who would never step foot in a Chanel boutique but would find a pared-down, reinvented Chanel-type suit from Jil Sander to be an attractive buy this Fall. But maybe that's just me.

I think she'll just buy a pared-down Chanel suit instead, is what I mean.

I like it overall and I absoultely love the first outfit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->