Prada F/W 2011.12 Milan

Ok.. I am going to have to be the one to say it. I really do not like this collection.. it felt lazy and uninspiring. It's like ok, you have the usual "ugly just to be ugly clothes" with the different prints and fabrics, the styling did not help anything either. It's very reminiscent of the shapes of the 60's but it's.. boring.

01070m.jpg
00030m.jpg

00760m.jpg
00770m.jpg

00790m.jpg
00800m.jpg

00840m.jpg

Well, this is pretty much 1964-1966. From the shapes, big buttons right to those unbelievably gorgeous stringy furs.

In fact, a lot of it looks better than the 60s to me. Nicer materials for one thing.

I'm just glad that I didnt see the horrid lurex sweaters from the menswear collection! This is much much better. I'm so loving the plastic fish scales!

retro futuristic outlines are really cool ! love that crazy touch of prada

The collection is genius, I'm having an instant crush on Prada this season.

In fact, I think this is one of the best Miuccia's collections ever. While it's all beautifully classic, it keeps a perfect balance of the twisted weirdness. I also love the idea behind it, it's somewhat so Prada for me.

And although model talk is not allowed, let me just add that the casting complimented the show in the best possible way.

The collection is genius, I'm having an instant crush on Prada this season.

In fact, I think this is one of the best Miuccia's collections ever. While it's all beautifully classic, it keeps a perfect balance of the twisted weirdness. I also love the idea behind it, it's somewhat so Prada for me.

And although model talk is not allowed, let me just add that the casting complimented the show in the best possible way.

Yes!I agree!!
Favorite Prada collection ever! :clap:
Bravo Miuccia :lol: you finally got me too :lol:

The collection reminds me of Fahrenheit 451 with Julie Christie. That sort of retro sci-fi feel and the dresses with the low-belts seem very London in the 60s King's Road inspired. The scale pieces intensify the quirky and delightfulness of the collection. Somehow, despite all Miuccia's different elements: multi-colors, different patterns, both sexy and sweet silhouettes, various textures, etc. this collection still seems very cohesive -- that's the work of a real genius. I could rave on and on. I FREAKING LOVE IT!

Miuccia is so creative. yes, maybe she inspired in sixties, but got the clothes very fresh touch. love that theme and final dresses with "fish-scales" are wonderful. but don´t like egg-shape coats with snakeskin prints.

Hate the boots. I hope the boots do not transfer to the high street, or will will see some awful "creations" all Winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem with this collection isn't that she took the 60's mod aestethic... What makes me iffy is that everything I like about it is purely 60's. What makes it Prada are a few details and choosing of materials, that after reading her quotes I get more the reason why she did it so vintage. I love the scales dresses (would kill for one), love the eyewear and the aviator inspired caps. The square coats are nice, but too much retro. Back around '03-'04, when she did the square coats they felt 100% Prada, even though they had a strong vintage base.
I also thought having the models carrying the bags like that was a brilliant move, they will appear in every shot! Detail for beauty? There's the bag, at least peaking.

I absolutely adore this collection! The hats are disgusting and the snakeskin stockings are far from my favorite, but they add some character to the outfits that I feel may be needed. I looove it regardless.

^Unlike the mens collection, this was superb, classic Miucca.
Interesting twist on Mod and innocence, fake and illusion, air and water.
Prepare yourself for a flood of editorials with scale-dresses and everyone walking in trompe-l'oeil python boots.

I still haven't made up my mind about this collection.
I really don't know what to think of the boots. Will there be shoes in stores or just them.
I like the fabrics and the colours but I still have to digest the collection as a whole.

leave it to prada to give us something so completely opposite of what she gave us for spring/summer 2011 (stripes and curlicues anyone?) and so completely opposite of what she gave us for fall/winter 2010 (any takers for ruffles and plaids?) yet something that fall so neatly into the prada ouevre as to almost appear boring. this collection will look so at home in some of her older boutiques as this collection summons that same quirky off-kilter spirit that some of those older -- lipstick skirt, bowling bag, et al -- collections evoked. even the fake fur recalled that purposely ugly cave man collection of some years ago. the python follows from the crinkled spring summer collection from a couple years ago.

of most interest remained the hard-to-digest acid mix of python, sequin, sparkle, and shine that so many of these looks juggled. it's so different (and reminiscent of that neon teddy boy dior collection from fall 2004), yet so interesting to look at. and that's her strong suit in the end.

00570m.jpg

style.com

The more I look at this collection, the more I love it.

It goes so far with twisting the things we know so well is such an unique and fascinating way. I adore her take on python skin, as much as I didn't use to like it, I'm getting obsessed with this texture thanks to her bags and those boots, which, as somebody in style.com video pointed, are a genius twist on her trademark socks&heels combo. Same with the fur or sequins, it's done in such a quirky and special way.

Take Frida Giannini and her proposal of fur and python just one day before, feels tacky and dated, while Prada's bizarre fluffy fake fur and trompe l'oeil boots are as amazing as ever. With such exquisite show in Milan, I'm extremely curious for Miu Miu in Paris.

this collection is so good! and what i love about prada is that we always get this strange feeling, like a distorted message. i watched the video and i felt this was about war. the girls looked like innocent dolls, diminished in the proportions of the jackets and buttons, but then having this strictness, holding the bags like guns and wearing aviator accessories. but always delicate, innocent, almost sweet soldiers of evil. my friends watched and had totally different feelings from me. that's what i love about miuccia! and of course, a big bunch of high quality amazingly wearable clothes. with the departure of so many geniuses, miuccia is the genius of the moment.

this was an interesting take on making womanly dresses more 'innocent' though i am still yet to be completely sold with this collection. i just have a feeling that i'm looking at Miu Miu doused by the spirit of Marni, regurgitated by Prada.. but i suppose that's where the play on dressing comes. this was simple enough, as Horyn quoted someone it was basically about a coat and a boot, and it is, but again this is Prada where the eye is often deceived. the coats were to die for especially numbers 4, 8 and 16.. the checkered ones looked great as well although abit kitsch. the drop waist however makes me wonder how flattering these would look since the style is not for everyone. and there were ugly pieces too; no matter how many designers reinvent this look shagfur coats always look gorilla-ish to me. some of the scale dresses just looked odd, and the python too lurid. i really wonder how these would translate off runway.

maybe i'm just reading into this too much but i see a lot of rave reviews here on this thread, as if everyone were walking on tiptoes around this collection in fear of being proven otherwise (by commercial success) lest a negative comment slip. perhaps we've all learned our lesson from Spring 2011? :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rachelmartini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->