Lady GaGa (November 2010 - June 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little disappointing after the epic scale of Judas and BTW, but she looks AMAZING, can't deny that even with the simple concept. Apparently there were issues on set and Kahn didn't direct in the end, so maybe it deviated from the original plan. Can't wait for the fashion credits. Any easy IDs so far?

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard this song is really about her grandfather?? Anyone know the story behind it?

A little disappointing after the epic scale of Judas and BTW, but she looks AMAZING, can't deny that even with the simple concept. Apparently there were issues on set and Kahn didn't direct in the end, so maybe it deviated from the original plan. Can't wait for the fashion credits. Any easy IDs so far?

She said,
fashion from the last collection of the legendary Gianni Versace.
And its quite easy to identify.

boomer edge of glory refers to the moment of reaching the other side of life. so death yes but also "winning in life" like she said. Hence the glory.

disappointed with the video too. Where's the concept and visuals for the story behind it?! first of all set looks so fake and reminds me of an 80's video with a group choreograph on the street. is it work hard for the money?

she does look great thought

i like simplicity of The Edge Of Glory video. it gives me Flashdance vibes and the set makes me think of Michael Jackson's The Way You Make Me Feel } all good things in my book ^_^ and i always love pink lighting!

I guess we figured this out already, but The Associated Press just Tweeted-

That's vintage @Versace Lady Gaga wears in 'Edge of Glory.' Donatella Versace says Gianni would have appreciated Gaga's talent.

I like the video, it's not her best by any stretch of the imagination but the simple 80's take is refreshing from her over-the-top spectacles. It makes one focus on the most important thing...the music. I know there was trouble on the set and that's unfortunate but sh*t happens. I honestly was not here for the rumored mermaids and surgical procedures (though I enjoyed her Le Grand Journal performance).

Gaga doing her old choreography, stomping the pavements of her hometown (loved the cement kiss), chilling with Clarence and looking amazing >>

Of course that is just my opinion based on what has been presented- maybe with Kahn at the helm all that extra ish would have worked out fine. Yet no one will ever know...lol.

Tumblr

Now with that being said, I have been lmao at some of the responses I have read from fans, stans and dislikers (so glad I was away from home when the video aired last night).

There has been, she's a wh*re (?), her career is over (say what?), she needs to take a break, its times for this era to be cut short et cetera. I mean really...its a MUSIC VIDEO! :lol:

Also to me it seems that instead of Gaga putting so many of her ideas into the video (ala Telephone...which I still enjoy), she decided to interpret them for the stage. A simple video gives her room to mix things up and not have one expecting her to try and recreate what the video looks like.

Sure she could have done that with a more complex video (shes done it before) but I just find it interesting that her performances of TEOG have similarities of some of the murmurings on how the video would have looked:

AI: Cliff Jumping
Germany's Next Top Model: "Beauty Is A Lie" - Sex, Money, Vanity
Le Grand Journal: Mermaid Tank/ Surgical Procedure

*shrugs*

i thought the video was beautiful. *shrugs* i dont want to see a big allegorical concept for a swansong about victory and dignity. Mermaid at Brooklyn bridge?? really??. I'd fire him too.

I'm with Eccentricity, I don't want to see big allegorical concepts, I'm tired of them. This is the best Gaga video IMO (although Poker Face is so bad that will always be one of my favourites).
It's all so 80s! Represents very well the new album. And nice use of Versace.

I love Gaga's whole look in the Edge of Glory video. She has never looked better:smile:

Thank you for the videos!!! She is so talented and such a sweetie. She makes everything look effortless

No problem and I concur. :flower:

fuwaax.gif

F**kyeahladygaga

I was glad the video was simple and not over the top weird, I just kinda wished it had a little bit more of a story to it. I always get a road trip feel when I hear it or even along the lines of what she did for that commerical in your gif.

Ya know, I wouldn't have minded if the video was similar to the commercial but all in all it's good for what it is imo. It's funny that while a lot of fans don't like the video, many critics have been praising it.

My favorite review:

Video Review: Lady Gaga, "The Edge of Glory"
by Sal Cinquemani

There wasn't a whole lot of buzz preceding the premiere of Lady Gaga's new video, "The Edge of Glory." And following the overwrought and shoddily edited "Judas," I expected it to be the first Gaga video since "Bad Romance" not to receive its very own write-up here on The House. Even after the first viewing of "The Edge of Glory," there didn't seem like much to write about. The video is unexpectedly simple, surprisingly low-concept. Gaga looks good and it's shot beautifully, but what else was there to say?

But then I watched it again. And again. In fact, I found myself coming back to it again and again last night, its references—or maybe just my projections, but no matter—slowly starting to reveal themselves. The intentionally barren, old-Hollywood backlot sets recall Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel" and Janet's "When I Think of You." There are even shades of Singin' in the Rain. The bombastic "Edge of Glory" may have begged for an equally grandiose visual treatment, but the pretense on display here perfectly complements the track's garishly '80s sonic milieu.

The most obvious Reagan-era reference, however, is Ken Russell's 1984 sex thriller Crimes of Passion. Gaga emerges from the window of her crimson-lit boudoir like Kathleen Turner, except she's sporting Terri Nunn's two-toned, new-wave hairdo and the red glow isn't coming from a blinking neon sign outside—it's coming from within. The light seems to follow Gaga wherever she goes, seeping through door cracks and windows, stalking her as she turns the corner. There might not be any deeply hidden thematic meaning here, but the art direction is breathtaking, the video's cool, gray-blue-black color palette carefully calibrated by Gaga's vibrant lipstick and nail polish, a red painted stripe on the curb, and the gold of her jewelry and the studs on her leather, not to mention Clarence Clemons's brass.

The similarities between "The Edge of Glory" and Robyn's "Call Your Girlfriend" are also hard to dismiss: Both are indebted to Janet's "The Pleasure Principle," with minimalist sets, freestyle dancing, and artificial light playing key roles. The concept for "Call Your Girlfriend," though, would have worked better for last year's "Dancing on My Own," and it seems to leave less room for symbolic interpretation than it does in Gaga's video. And while Robyn's one-take format could have given "The Edge of Glory" a more obvious technical element for critics and fans to gush over, it's partly the clip's editing that makes it works so well. Early in the video, there's a long take of Gaga strutting through her red-light district, ostensibly courting her next john/beau/whatever ("I got a reason that you should take me home tonight"), and a shock of black hair falls in her eyes; wisely, she doesn't touch it, and then you realize she's started to walk backward, coyly turning her back completely and beckoning us to follow.

Popjustice called the video "boring," and suggested a series of changes that could have "saved" the clip. (Saved it from what? The judicious eyes of queens who want elaborate costumes, cheesy narratives, hoards of backup dancers, and...mermaids, apparently? It's all reminiscent of Beyoncé's fans' inane uproar over Sophie Muller's great video for the singer's "Déjà Vu" a few years back.) There are moments when Gaga's lip-synching is only half convincing, but that too only adds to the proceedings' deliberate air of artifice. Is Gaga a fashionista living a double life like Turner's China Blue? Will Clemons and his sacred saxophone try to save her soul? Who cares? The video is a stylistic triumph. Gaga reportedly had "creative differences" with original director Joseph Kahn, leading to his departure from the set, and that hideous Versace silk shirt and mustard-colored cap are further evidence of the pop singer's questionable taste when left to her own devices. But Gaga's still the only mainstream artist today churning out music videos that are worth picking apart the morning after.

Slant Magazine

^ great photo, Libra :flower: that pink!
i love her look this video : outfit, hair & makeup

i wished she had more energy during her lip syncing parts. that's why you gotta do everything 100% so whatever clip ends up being used would be very good, if that makes sense

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know, I wouldn't have minded if the video was similar to the commercial but all in all it's good for what it is imo. It's funny that while a lot of fans don't like the video, many critics have been praising it.

I wouldn't have minded if the commercial was used as the music video. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notaschoolshooter
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->