Model Casting F/W 14.15

Noticed that too. What do you think about that strategy? Has it hurt Marine last seasons winner? Manuela walked a lot but has only gotten one campaign and few eds. Should it be quality over quantity? Does anyone pay attention to top catwalkers in the industry and does that get them noticed or only if they do more selective shows?

I guess it depends, runway and print aren't always mutually inclusive and the demand in print goes straight to the newest girls that did the most hyped shows. Marine and Josephine LT were hardly at any big campaigns or eds. That case certainly isn't true for every model though, some still reap the rewards like Elisabeth, Sasha & Malaika did. I'm pretty sure Gracie Van Gastel didn't do so well with her shows during SS14 but she manages to land a VI cover then a Prada campaign. Amanda & Vanessa's management are probably the best examples because they keep these girls at a selective pace, only with the most important clients, but I understand not every model has their kind of backing. If you look at the pattern, in the end, quality over quantity still reigns.

There's also the matter of whether the model is better suited for print than on the runway, like Sam Rollinson for example. Mr-Dale put it articulately in his post

Last edited by a moderator:
exactly. she is magic in real life. with immaculate work ethics and the perfect body. And she truly loves what she’s doing. not every models mantra...

Why skipping shows if you have a show list like this? Everytime there is a new chance to impress, bond closer to a creative team or to get to know a new designer - all this can lead to strong long term ties.

nowadays the life span of a model is so short and unpredictable you have to meet as much people of the inner fashion circle as possible. if you concentrate only on a few exclusive names (who are the most unloyal to their former muses - just look at Prada and Calvin Klein) you might be the next Cindy Bruna.

Maybe it,s not the most exclusive way - but who apart from Freja, Christie and Kate is truly exclusive anymore nowadays? Naomi for Philipp Plein anyone?

look at girls like Imaan Hamman, Vanessa Axente, and Irene Hiemstra girls who don't walk a ton of shows yet do so well outside of the runway. Manuela seems to only do well on the runway which is like the perfect runway filler girl (Alyona Osmanova and Yulia Yulia Kharlapanova) but doesnt seem to do well when it comes to booking editorials and print. Runway is the only thing that keeps her relevant. It will always be quality over quantity imo.

Bland girls seem to fit every aesthetic. Or at least the styling can mold them into something close to the aesthetic of the show.

I guess the definition of a "bland" girl is someone without particularly exceptional or irregular features. Having an easily mouldable look definitely means you can fit the aesthetics of many different designers therefore have the opportunity to walk in many shows. Which makes sense when people say they haven't really noticed some of the blander top walkers, as they have been moulded for each show.

I disagree when people say Nastya Sten is bland though. You only have to look at backstage photos to see she is extremely beautiful.

^Exactly. And yes, Nastya is absolutely stunning. She does sometimes get lost in the styling, though. Or get easily mixed up with Maja and Harleth.

I guess it depends, runway and print aren't always mutually inclusive and the demand in print goes straight to the newest girls that did the most hyped shows. Marine and Josephine LT were hardly at any big campaigns or eds. That case certainly isn't true for every model though, some still reap the rewards like Elisabeth, Sasha & Malaika did. I'm pretty sure Gracie Van Gastel didn't do so well with her shows during SS14 but she manages to land a VI cover then a Prada campaign. Amanda & Vanessa's management are probably the best examples because they keep these girls at a selective pace, only with the most important clients, but I understand not every model has their kind of backing. If you look at the pattern, in the end, quality over quantity still reigns.

There's also the matter of whether the model is better suited for print than on the runway, like Sam Rollinson for example. Mr-Dale put it articulately in his post

Maybe in the end the show quantity isn't important.

The more traditional pretty girls such as Malaika, Elisabeth, Sasha and Gracie can walk a lot of shows, not always quality, and still get print work and campaigns anyway.

A jolie laide girl such as Amanda or Vanessa should walk only quality to get attention and nurture their particular brand of beauty and create a special demand.
Marine and Manuela should be more selective maybe as Sam is doing.

Surprised how Cat McNeil disappeared again, I think by choice, as did Josephine Skriver.
Just don't think that is ever wise, at least walk top shows for exposure.

Yea it looked like Cat purposely didn't do it and I find that a strange strategy, if it is a strategy at all..
She's been pretty active the last few seasons then seemed to vanish again.....:blink:

Josephine isn't at a stage yet to just sit out half a season, she needs to be doing key shows......

I guess so but even a good debut season doesnt guarantee your follow up season will be good. Fashion is fickle for whatever reason. On top of my head is Marine and Tian Yi. BOOM one season and then..ehhhh.

No of course not I was just saying that seems to the pattern for success for the majority of girls who've found it (i.e. Frida, or even Jac, Constance, Julia Nobis).
Strong first seasons, tonne of shows for exposure then follow up season still strong but a pull back on shows and 3rd season some brand loyalty starts to show, more selective, better quality.....that seems to be what happened for alot of these girls who are big now.

Marine....? Ooof....
She's an interesting one int'she..

Models who walked 50+ shows: (feel free to add any I missed out)

Nastya Sten: 63
Manuela Frey: 61
Josephine Le Tutour: 60
Elisabeth Erm: 60
Lexi Boling: 56
Ola Rudnicka: 54
Sasha Luss: 54
Waleska Gorczevski: 53
Larissa Hofmann: 52
Harleth Kuusik: 50

Post 330 says Manuela had 63?

there are quite a few girls like marine who really slowed down this season..esther heesch, holly rose (i thought she'd do more?), josephine skriver, kate bogucharskaia, katya r

Well only Esther was really in Marine's league though. Josephine was done years ago, Kate was never A-list to begin with and Katya never walked a lot of shows.

I'm just glad Esther hasn't been around to cause me to fall asleep even more than I already was.

I know people have said this before, but it is crazy how quick new models come and go, girls from 2/3 seasons are already fading :/

It's amazing to see how well Kasia and Hanne still do after walking since 05/06.

How about Maria Bradley? She walked everything the past couple of seasons. Now only a handful of B shows in NY and she skipped the other cities. Slowing down too fast?

It's amazing to see how well Kasia and Hanne still do after walking since 05/06.

Exactly....me and a couple of others touched on how good Kasia is in her thread recently. It's so incredible how she (and Hanne) can walk all the best shows season after season while so many others come and go....
Their consistency, in such a fickle business, is unbelievable.

Well only Esther was really in Marine's league though. Josephine was done years ago, Kate was never A-list to begin with and Katya never walked a lot of shows.

Josephine had a great last season and parlayed that into VS

Exactly....me and a couple of others touched on how good Kasia is in her thread recently. It's so incredible how she (and Hanne) can walk all the best shows season after season while so many others come and go....
Their consistency, in such a fickle business, is unbelievable.

Especially amazing with Hanne's walk.

If I could compare among the asian girls that I followed, I can say Women did a really great job with making Sun Fei Fei's work very selective ever since they got her from Elite. She is a special girl, no doubt, but so was Ming, Sui He, Tian Yi, Lina Zhang and many more, but none of these other girls were selective at the height of their buzz. So I think out of all the asian models working the runway at the moment her Agency's selectiveness (and of course her her ability to shine in whatever campaigns she had booked (DSquared2, Valentino, Prada) kept her career at a good pace while other much buzzed about girls career slowed down tremendously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->