Model Casting F/W 16.17

Sad to see Miu Miu's screwie castings put a total anticlimax to what should be the best season yet... :(

I actually thought that maybe Miuccia was up to something, but the styling was all over the place. You look at some girls like Fei Fei and Frederikke and despite the messiness of the styling, you know they're wearing Miu Miu. They carried it, but then you look at the others, it's like they're wearing coats from Walmart.

This is true! On Gigi, Kendull and all the other attention-calling Models the clothes looked originally like Topshop. They made everything looking so cheap, that can't be the goal of a Brand like Miu Miu.

At this point Gigi and Kendall were not even the most shocking...
It was such an outrageous mix of girls. No one went together.
You see girls like Estelle Boersma, Iris Landstra, Susanne Knipper, Noa Vermeer, Julia Nobis, Sandra Schmidt... with Jasmine Sanders, Irina Shayk, Emily Ratajkowski etc thrown in between. Nonsense and emetic. I have nothing against booking this type of girls for a show but for Miu Miu, it was wrong in all levels possible.

Just curious: does Anna vrc really count as model of colour? I'm aware of the cultural side of this, but just speaking of her physical appearance she looks as white as me... (No offence...)

Anna and the Hadid sisters are all mixed race but pass as white. We shouldn't invalidate their heritage because they are white passing. You can acknowledge that white passing POC have more opportunity than non white passing POC and benefit from white privilege, but it doesn't mean they are not POC. It's complicated.

I'm already crossing my fingers and hoping North won't be tall enough to be a model.

^no one of them has a look that would make them able to be successfull as Models if they where "normal" Girls From nowhere...but i guess that's nothing new.

I'm already crossing my fingers and hoping North won't be tall enough to be a model.

well judging by her parents it would be a miracle if she was

no doubt they'd find a way but actually, i do like to hope and think this is a fad (like paris hilton) and we'll all be laughing about it in a few years time B)

Hailey didn't even walk for Miu Miu, why are people mentioning her :lol:

that's the only positive tbh

well judging by her parents it would be a miracle if she was

no doubt they'd find a way but actually, i do like to hope and think this is a fad (like paris hilton) and we'll all be laughing about it in a few years time B)

Paris didn't even infest HF as much as these people are doing now though, sure she did walk for heatherette or whatever.. and her vogue cover was kinda cool but was that not it?

this IG phase is 10x times worse than 2005 pop culture!

I thought Taylor opening Miu Miu was fitting. Could have done without Irina, Emily and even Adriana but the rest wasn't as bad as everyone is making out.

I don't get all the hate for Taylor. She's been doing the fashion week circuit for a while. She's done quiet well during fashion week, she's not a new face. Wasn't she a top newcomer during her first season? She did Chanel, Versace, Kenzo and Dolce & Gabbana then, I can still remember.

just so sad…

What Gigi and Kendall’s Fashion Month Says About the State of Modeling Now

Everything Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid do is scrutinized. Their Instagram updates, street style, and off-duty #KenGi escapades are all news fodder, and the duo are never more closely watched than during fashion month. Yet in between music video appearances, app launches, and being chased by the paparazzi, Jenner and Hadid are still hard at work being models, doing the circuit of American and European shows, and the manner in which they tackle their jobs says a lot about their status and the way in which the industry is evolving. And for Fall 2016, they each walked only a handful of shows—Jenner, 12, and Hadid, 9. Compared with the season’s top walker, Lia Pavlova, who appeared in a staggering 71 shows, their lists seem small, but each appearance capitalized on their star power for maximum effect.

For many models, the runways offer an opportunity for exposure to editors, casting directors, stylists, and even top-tier photographers. Models walk upwards of 50 shows in a month, not because it is financially advantageous—compensation varies based on designer, brand, and mutual prestige—but because it puts them on the radar of people who could select them for big work down the line. Both Jenner and Hadid, of course, have reached the point where the clients who want them know them by name and don’t need to engage in the daily grind of back-to-back bookings. The same can be said for peers like Lara Stone, Joan Smalls, and Karlie Kloss, each of whom joined KenGi on the catwalk this season, the only difference being the light-speed momentum that propelled Jenner and Hadid to such status.

Much like the celebrity designers invading Fashion Week with their blockbuster runway spectacles, Jenner and Hadid have the unique ability to turn each show into a media event, and brands are wising up to the opportunities that can provide. Tommy Hilfiger smartly turned Hadid’s opening spot on its runway as a chance to utilize her social skills, having her take over its Snapchat feed on the day of the show. Balmain introduced the world to its Hair Couture line of hair extensions by having the duo swap hair colors in a move that launched a thousand beauty-focused headlines. Even when Hadid and Jenner aren’t promoting something, their ubiquity provides designers with added opportunities online—Donatella Versace doesn’t take to Instagram to post about just anyone. The selective approach may also serve a financial purpose, with Jenner and Hadid keeping themselves scarce: Any brand that wants them will have to provide special incentive or pay premium. To steal a line from the original supermodel, these girls aren’t getting out of bed for less than $10,000—though you may want to add on an extra zero to account for inflation.
vogue

I think Gigi's a bad model, but other than that, I don't see anything wrong with their business model. Any fashion brand would have to pay top dollar for Gisele, Naomi, etc. as well.

what i want to see are hard numbers that show these girls actually help in sales

^I second that. It would be better to have actual proof of the benefits of having a big following. However, I think it is too early to make a statement so I guess we will have to see in the future (unfortunately:angry:).

Yeah....I mean, most of these girls' fans are teenagers and very young adults who don't have much money of their own. They aren't going to drop $2k on Balmain heels they saw Kendall Jenner wearing. I imagine most of their sales come from the same sources they always have.

It's like how Gucci nearly went bankrupt a few seasons ago. Some of the most famous rap lyrics circling around pop culture incorporated the word "Gucci" in them....yet Gucci wasn't actually selling. Just because the youths are aware of a label and know that it's generally considered "cool" doesn't mean they will buy anything.

The unanswered question which complicit sources like vogue.com will continue to evade because it's serves them well to pretend that followers translates into $$$.

There has already been some information given about magazine sales and if people wouldn't spend $5 on magazines they wouldn't normally buy, I doubt they're trying to get clothes or accessories which are 100 to 10,000 times that amount.

The young adults in that 1% wealth bracket who have grown up with their mothers and grandmothers wearing Chanel, etc. don't need to be influenced by instamodels to buy luxury goods.

I don't get why people think this is complicated. There is heightened brand visibility with these castings. People are STILL talking about Miu Miu and Balmain. Who was talking this much about Balmain before Olivier hooked up with the Kardashians? You can find a million books and articles talking about brand visibility translating to sales. You can't quantify how much sales a specific model is generating for a brand, but you can certainly look at money spent on hiring that model and see the ROI.

I am also confused at the insistence here that all moneyed people grew up in some sort of stuffy, uppercrust country club environments. There are plenty of young girls who have money that didn't grow up with "their mothers and grandmothers wearing Chanel, etc.". There is new money (I hate that term but there you go). The friends and peers of the Jenners and Hadids can afford this stuff and are not turned off by them walking.

Of course I was referring to old money being that 1% and generations of their family wearing Chanel doesn't imply "stuffy, uppercrust country club environments". Are these brands specifically aiming at new money consumers? I would still think that they don't need heavy-handed influence to buy luxury goods.

But it still stands that people, moneyed or otherwise, aren't going out of there way to buy low-end products such as magazines so how does one figure that heightened brand visibility by using these models for more expensive products have been generating sales?

I do understand make up brands hiring girls like Kendall and Gigi. There's a good chance that if a normal girl sees Kendall Jenner advertising a lip gloss then she'll go out and buy it. Not too sure about clothes, though.

But any show these girls walk in or campaign they star in = big publicity which can only ever be a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->