Model Casting F/W 14.15

Isnt it dangerous for your modeling career to be walking so many shows, big and small, because that makes you less exclusive. Popular, yes, but being too available is also not good. Unique beauty, selective luxurious showlist is the way to go I think.

Being in a position to be selective is a luxury afforded to those who've paid their dues at the front end.

I think (from what I've seen) that it's best to do as many shows as possible right at the start to get that exposure.
Taking Frida Gusatvsson (just as an example), I think she did 67 shows during her first full season (spring 2010) and then fall 2010 pulled it back a bit but still did a decent amount + the majority of which were A-list and that gave her some kind of clout as she started to book quality over quantity and then spring 2011 even more so..
Then once you've kind of established yourself you have more freedom, you're in a position to select, you don't need to do so many castings, you start to solidify relationships with the designers and you have that leverage because you've done the hard yards so to speak, you've proven yourself to that point and now you have power in other areas of course with your print, editorials, campaigns etc...

Daria Strokous I've noticed has pulled right back, it was only last season or fall 2013 where she was still walking a heap of shows (majority of bluechip of course) but now I think she's pretty good position wise with her runway career. She's directly booked and is very selective and when she does make an appearance it's that much more special and exclusive.

Is that how it works? Someone with more knowledge like Cold or teaars could probably give better insight...

Also...........don't recall much of Manuela either.
What's that saying? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same thing with Larissa H. :lol: Did she do a lot of B and C shows, or?

^^Yes, I believe that's the gist of how it works. ^_^

Manuela is one of my least favorite models... I'm not surprised no one remembers her in shows.

Larissa did do some B and C shows, but she booked a lot of blue chip shows too.

I didn't either…can't believe she walked that many shows. I'm honestly surprised she's still even in the game.

If you haven't had the pleasure of meeting/working with Manuela, she has one of the most infectious and memorable personalities. Unique look, solid walk, easy fit for clothes - designers and casting directors love her. Very special girl. Not surprised she walked so many shows, but I do think her mgmt should be more selective going fwd.

Marine walked 65 shows last season but this season she only did half of it and missed a lot of key shows. I hope she doesn't turn into Kel immediately.

It really is the strangest thing. I think it could be a lot of things: too much exposure at once, bad proportions, possible health issues (won't say more, but her look this season was very different from her look last season - I think we here on tfs all loved her new look, but maybe designers were not too thrilled about it). Maybe it's none of those at all. But yeah, looking at her showlist, the number of shows isn't all that bad, it's when you look at which shows she did you see she walked barely any of the key shows. Most of the "good" shows she booked were either ones where there was a huge cast of girls, so a lot of girls booked them, or ones where the casting was just not that selective.

I just googled each one of them and I literally don't remember seeing half of them in the shows. :blink:

Every season it surprises me who walks the most shows - a lot of times it's the girl with the very bland, forgettable look that you'd least expect. Nastya is such a perfect case in point. Remember a few seasons back when Tilda was walking 70+ shows a season? Was utterly baffled. But I'm not the casting directors, so I have no idea why this happens so often.

Bland girls seem to fit every aesthetic. Or at least the styling can mold them into something close to the aesthetic of the show.

Surprised how Cat McNeil disappeared again, I think by choice, as did Josephine Skriver.
Just don't think that is ever wise, at least walk top shows for exposure.

Yup, Cat was by choice. she's booked good print work lately, though... so I can't complain. yesterday on her instagram she said she is "missing fashion week so much" ... i don't know what that's supposed to mean if she took a break by choice.

Yup, Cat was by choice. she's booked good print work lately, though... so I can't complain. yesterday on her instagram she said she is "missing fashion week so much" ... i don't know what that's supposed to mean if she took a break by choice.

But she booked good print work because of her comeback seasons, why chance that?

I think (from what I've seen) that it's best to do as many shows as possible right at the start to get that exposure.
Taking Frida Gusatvsson (just as an example), I think she did 67 shows during her first full season (spring 2010) and then fall 2010 pulled it back a bit but still did a decent amount + the majority of which were A-list and that gave her some kind of clout as she started to book quality over quantity and then spring 2011 even more so..
Then once you've kind of established yourself you have more freedom, you're in a position to select, you don't need to do so many castings, you start to solidify relationships with the designers and you have that leverage because you've done the hard yards so to speak, you've proven yourself to that point and now you have power in other areas of course with your print, editorials, campaigns etc...

I guess so but even a good debut season doesnt guarantee your follow up season will be good. Fashion is fickle for whatever reason. On top of my head is Marine and Tian Yi. BOOM one season and then..ehhhh.

^^I feel like Cat will be okay since she was already highly established before her comeback. She just needed to announce her presence.

If you haven't had the pleasure of meeting/working with Manuela, she has one of the most infectious and memorable personalities. Unique look, solid walk, easy fit for clothes - designers and casting directors love her. Very special girl. Not surprised she walked so many shows, but I do think her mgmt should be more selective going fwd.

exactly. she is magic in real life. with immaculate work ethics and the perfect body. And she truly loves what she’s doing. not every models mantra...

Why skipping shows if you have a show list like this? Everytime there is a new chance to impress, bond closer to a creative team or to get to know a new designer - all this can lead to strong long term ties.

nowadays the life span of a model is so short and unpredictable you have to meet as much people of the inner fashion circle as possible. if you concentrate only on a few exclusive names (who are the most unloyal to their former muses - just look at Prada and Calvin Klein) you might be the next Cindy Bruna.

Maybe it,s not the most exclusive way - but who apart from Freja, Christie and Kate is truly exclusive anymore nowadays? Naomi for Philipp Plein anyone?

MANUELA FREY
FINAL SHOWLIST
F/W 14.15 TOTAL: 63
OPENED 4 | CLOSED 2

NEW YORK TOTAL: 17
OPENED 1 | CLOSED 0
3.1 Phillip Lim
BCBG Max Azria
Carolina Herrera
Donna Karan
J.Mendel
Marchesa
Michael Kors
Narciso Rodriguez
Peter Som
Ralph Rucci
Richard Chai Love
Thakoon
Theory (O)
Tibi
Tim Coppens
Vera Wang
Yigal Azrouël

LONDON TOTAL: 12
OPENED 0 | CLOSED 1
Antonio Berardi
Issa (C)
Jasper Conran
Joseph
J.W. Anderson
Margaret Howell
Marios Schwab
Mary Katrantzou
Matthew Williamson
Peter Pilotto
Preen by Thornton Bregazzi
Todd Lynn

MILAN TOTAL: 9
OPENED 1 | CLOSED 0
Angelo Marani (O)
Aquilano.Rimondi
Dolce & Gabbana
Emporio Armani
Etro
Marni
Missoni
Prada
Roberto Cavalli

PARIS TOTAL: 25
OPENED 2 | CLOSED 1
Acne Studios
Aganovich
Akris
Alexis Mabille (O)
Allude
Ann Demeulemeester
Carven
Cédric Charlier
Christian Dior
Damir Doma
Elie Saab
Etam
Gareth Pugh
Giambattista Valli
Haider Ackermann
Iris Van Herpen
Maison Rabih Kayrouz (O)
Maxime Simoëns
Moncler Gamme Rouge
Nina Ricci
Olympia Le-Tan
Roland Mouret
Sacai
Véronique Leroy
Wunderkind (C)

I wasn't questioning her personality or work ethic at all! She seems like a very sweet girl who loves what she does. But honestly, she would stand out more if she didn't walk every single show on the roster. I mean, 25 shows in Paris alone seems a bit excessive in my opinion. That should be her total show count for the whole season if she wants a nice, selective run. I just hate seeing girls do well for two/three seasons and then burning out completely.

Marine walked 65 shows last season but this season she only did half of it and missed a lot of key shows. I hope she doesn't turn into Kel immediately.

Omg, I hope not :cry:
I noticed immediately she was booking less this season, which is quite strange. She's stunning so I'm really confused.

Once again most of the top walkers are from Society and Elite. Nastya, JLT, Manuela, Harleth. No idea where Larissa Hofmann came from, such a random frontrunner.

One thing I noticed is that Society & Elite milk their top walkers for shows, it seems they don't care much for selectivity. If they could get the girl to happen they will let her walk as many shows as possible. They've become that kind of agency that's just so aggressive they will probably start a 20 girl package deal in every show real soon, now with Kendall in the picture.

valery kaufman did 53 shows this season (i think, by my count anyway :P) that's a lot, and she did some great shows :D really happy for her

valery kaufman did 53 shows this season (i think, by my count anyway :P) that's a lot, and she did some great shows :D really happy for her

Yep, she rebounded nicely after it looked like she was on her way out. Wonder what propelled her.

Once again most of the top walkers are from Society and Elite. Nastya, JLT, Manuela, Harleth. No idea where Larissa Hofmann came from, such a random frontrunner.

One thing I noticed is that Society & Elite milk their top walkers for shows, it seems they don't care much for selectivity. If they could get the girl to happen they will let her walk as many shows as possible. They've become that kind of agency that's just so aggressive they will probably start a 20 girl package deal in every show real soon, now with Kendall in the picture.

Noticed that too. What do you think about that strategy? Has it hurt Marine last seasons winner? Manuela walked a lot but has only gotten one campaign and few eds. Should it be quality over quantity? Does anyone pay attention to top catwalkers in the industry and does that get them noticed or only if they do more selective shows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->