Models Who Are Jolie Laide

Would you say that a lot of the girls from Paul Rowland's hey day at Supreme would fit this description of Jolie Laide? I'm thinking Hanne Gaby, Alice Gibb, Cecilia Mendez, Lisa Gregrusson, Dafne Cejas and Hilde Gifstad. These girls are often described as "intellectual beauty" but do you think there is a little bit of a crossover into Jolie Laide with this aesthetic?

Would you say that a lot of the girls from Paul Rowland's hey day at Supreme would fit this description of Jolie Laide? I'm thinking Hanne Gaby, Alice Gibb, Cecilia Mendez, Lisa Gregrusson, Dafne Cejas and Hilde Gifstad. These girls are often described as "intellectual beauty" but do you think there is a little bit of a crossover into Jolie Laide with this aesthetic?

Dafne Cejas yes, Hanne Gabby not really and the others no. Cecilia Mendez is not jolie laid at all. She's actually kind of cute and refined looking.

Hearing you say this makes me realize I far prefer the term "intellectual beauty" to the term "jolie laide." Many of the women mentioned so far represent an unusual take on beauty, but for me, it's still beauty regardless -- nothing ugly about it. It's the sort of beauty that challenges you, that you have to chew on and digest. But for me, that's what makes it "intellectual."

"Jolie laide" strikes me as a bit pejorative.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Jolie laide" is an interesting notion. I think these girls were bullied at school, with other children telling them they were ugly. To me they have something really intriguing. It is cool to see that fashion takes an interest in girls like this, rather than just focusing on classical beauty.

^^ absolutely, I think that's the main thing that sparked my interest in the fashion industry. the fact that hundreds and hundreds of girls (and boys) who were bullied and told they were ugly as children get pulled into an industry that praises and appreciates their look, flies them around the world and pays them ridiculous amounts of money. I believe the bullying a lot of them faced in school helped create and build the mantle that they carry, giving them that certain humble confidence that some call the it-factor. and I do not consider vanessa axente to be jolie laide at all. a blind man can see she's beautiful. BUT the twist is.. theres a certain sadness in her eyes that's quite captivating. plus she has a bit of an overbite that makes her all the more gorgeous.

"Jolie laide" strikes me as a bit pejorative.

Yeah I see what you mean. Maybe "atypical beauty" would be a little better ? Anyway they have something more than average girls. I remember Amanda and Michelle babin fron ANTM. They fit this category. They were really special. They are not my favorites "awkward" model, but it makes no doubt that they are made for this job :smile:

^^ absolutely, I think that's the main thing that sparked my interest in the fashion industry. the fact that hundreds and hundreds of girls (and boys) who were bullied and told they were ugly as children get pulled into an industry that praises and appreciates their look, flies them around the world and pays them ridiculous amounts of money. I believe the bullying a lot of them faced in school helped create and build the mantle that they carry, giving them that certain humble confidence that some call the it-factor. and I do not consider vanessa axente to be jolie laide at all. a blind man can see she's beautiful. BUT the twist is.. theres a certain sadness in her eyes that's quite captivating. plus she has a bit of an overbite that makes her all the more gorgeous.

Yeah and also...there are some who aren't even jolie laide and considered more conventionally beautiful yet they were bullied for being this and that, one that comes to mind is Karmen Pedaru I think she said kids at school used to call her ugly.
Pffff....can you imagine? :shock:

Vanessa probably isn't jolie laide but she's just off to the side of being classically beautiful or rather, pretty.

Yeah and also...there are some who aren't even jolie laide and considered more conventionally beautiful yet they were bullied for being this and that, one that comes to mind is Karmen Pedaru I think she said kids at school used to call her ugly.
Pffff....can you imagine? :shock:

Vanessa probably isn't jolie laide but she's just off to the side of being classically beautiful or rather, pretty.

I think anyone who is extraordinary looking whether it is "unconventional" or "conventional" or "classical" or "intellectual" or "jolie laide" or whatever category was probably bullied in school. I've heard so many models from Gia Carangi to Cindy Crawford to Tyra Banks to Claudia Schiffer to a lot of modern day models were bullied. It's because there's something that stands out from the crowd and that's what makes a model a model!

helena severin
motw_helena_pola06.jpg

motw_helena_pola04.jpg

models

^ Definitely. And she fits right in with the aesthetic of every brand she walked for this season.

Really?
I actually think she's pretty, in a normal kind of way (especially in that first picture).
Maybe those are just good photos :rolleyes:

^Yeah, I never saw Helena as some super unconventional beauty.

^^Helena has an austere quality though I don't think she is jolie laide. I don't think "unconventional" is jolie laide either. Helena lacks the jarring asymmetrical quality of jolie laide girls. I think some people could interpret her look as "plain" but not bad looking but not the traditional idea of pretty.

When I first saw the title, Alla Kostromichova came to mind. She has a harsh look but it's so striking that I wanna keep looking at her.

dont forget the Argentine Team!!!
Magda Leguine , Carla C, Sabrina I, Dafne, Milagros, Tati and MIca right now :smile:

^ Oh yes, apart from Carla and Tati, they definitely are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->