Models Who Are Jolie Laide

Does Gisele Bundchen count? I often hear people who are not entirely immersed in fashion/models say that they don't "get" Gisele Bundchen's fame as a model because she doesn't read as pretty to the average or conventional eye. I've heard all kinds of comparisons for her to certain animals, some say the model version of Sarah Jessica Parker to too masculine to Fabio.

She takes great pictures--pretty pictures but she herself is not what many call "pretty" but ugly. Pretty but ugly? She fits the description from that nytimes article.

That is an age old argument that one.
You must remember that the average eye being outside of fashion looking in wouldn't get alot of these girls, let alone Gisele. These are people who don't get the fashion industry and are ignorant as to what makes a good model. These are people who take the assumption that being a model is to simply have a bright, pleasant face on top of 4-foot long legs when we know all too well that just is not the case, at least in high fashion.
Gisele is a mega success for a reason and it isn't just because of she looks good to the people in the thick of this industry.
Also, those people favour the conventionally pretty and beautiful, the girls in Sport Illustrated, the Rebecca Romijn's and the Marissa Millers (snore......), that is ultimate beauty to them so anyone outside of that ideal yet who is a model, they're going to have a problem digesting.

Kendall Jenner is a great example of this.
How many people who don't understand fashion would say that she would be a great model?
Pretty much anybody with a good enough eyes that can appreciate her typically pretty face.
Yet here (in these forums)....people are quite quick to vocalise their resistance toward Kendall being a successful model because our ideals are so different......we can see all the reasons why she wouldn't be as opposed to all the reason why she should be.

I think, in fashion anyway.....there's the real world and then there's this world.....and it's in this world where girls who are jolie laide or at least not conventionally pretty, are considered more beautiful and to be honest, it's those girls that are the successful ones in the real world too....(Karolina, Alessandra, Karlie, Maria Carla, Stella, Shalom, Kate...)

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ I think you took my post too deep to heart. I was just stating an observation and questioning whether or not Gisele would be considered "Jolie Laide." The subject was not about how Gisele shouldn't be a model--I personally like Gisele Bundchen but it is true that she is not necessarily just "pretty" and many find her "ugly" yet she takes beautiful pictures. Part of her success is that dichotomy and that she never takes a bad picture. There was no "argument" stated in the original post just a mere question :lol:

Some other girls I thought of are An Oost and Freja Beha.

^^ I think you took my post too deep to heart. I was just stating an observation and questioning whether or not Gisele would be considered "Jolie Laide." The subject was not about how Gisele shouldn't be a model--I personally like Gisele Bundchen but it is true that she is not necessarily just "pretty" and many find her "ugly" yet she takes beautiful pictures. Part of her success is that dichotomy and that she never takes a bad picture. There was no "argument" stated in the original post just a mere question :lol:

Some other girls I thought of are An Oost and Freja Beha.

Not sure what went wrong there but............in turn I think you've interpreted my response in a way that suggests I was heated :blink:
Absolutely not......it was just a simple point of view.

Gisele has her amazing body and her natural sex appeal going for her, which almost contradicts any sort of laide in her face. That's my opinion. In high fashion editorials when styled correctly, I definitely think Gisele is more laide though.

Masha Tyelna comes to mind, but I'm not sure if she's actually jolie laide.. I see that term as meaning a face that is less than even unconventionally pretty, with unattractive features, but that nonetheless wows as a whole with those features in combination. However aside from Masha's eyes her face is pretty bland - big eyes amidst bland, weak features - and once people got used to her eyes there was nothing else to keep them interested, and she disappeared very quickly. Her brief popularity seemed based upon the novelty factor of the eyes alone rather than the whole of her face pulling together to create the memorable jolie laide look, such as Kelly Mittendorf has.

1342532601-2773392150.jpg

pimg.tw

I suppose everyone's definition is going to be quite different, but I feel like a lot of the names listed don't quite apply, maybe?

I think there's a difference between someone unconventionally pretty or beautiful and someone who is JOLIE LAIDE.

For me, the definition is someone who is really not beautiful in the slightest (facially) but manages to - with a great body, great style, great attitude, sex appeal - make themselves incredibly alluring. Charlotte Gainsbourg, Jamie Bochert, Carine Roitfeld, Irina Lazereanu, Karen Elson, Anjelica Huston, Lou Doillon, Sophia Coppola, Daiane Conterato, etc. Someone like Gisele Bundchen I just don't think applies. Is she "conventionally" pretty? Maybe not - but I don't think she could ever be categorized in any way as "laide" - even before the nose job.

I suppose everyone's definition is going to be quite different, but I feel like a lot of the names listed don't quite apply, maybe?

I think there's a difference between someone unconventionally pretty or beautiful and someone who is JOLIE LAIDE.

For me, the definition is someone who is really not beautiful in the slightest (facially) but manages to - with a great body, great style, great attitude, sex appeal - make themselves incredibly alluring. Charlotte Gainsbourg, Jamie Bochert, Carine Roitfeld, Irina Lazereanu, Karen Elson, Anjelica Huston, Lou Doillon, Sophia Coppola, Daiane Conterato, etc. Someone like Gisele Bundchen I just don't think applies. Is she "conventionally" pretty? Maybe not - but I don't think she could ever be categorized in any way as "laide" - even before the nose job.

Yes to all of that ^
And Jamie Bochert.....ab-so-LUTELY!!

Totally forgot about Masha. She was all over the show (pun intended) circa 2008-2009 :huh:

Agreed, these are the types of girls i would consider Jolie Laide. Not the likes of Karolina, Gisele, Vanessa Axente or Sasha Luss
I wouldnt even add Freja who i think is conventionally beautiful but just androgynous

freja1.jpg

http://fashionbaby.dk

Karolina isn't marketed as a jolie-laide model, though she very well could be.

ILUZvWh.jpg

thegloss.com

I agree that Karolina with that nose would be.
Same for Vanessa Axente.
Gisele, Freja, no. No one said Sasha Luss is.

Yea I'm all for Karolina being jolie laide.
I actually find her to be quite unusual looking when not caked in make up. It's her mouth for me..

Freja....no way.
Gisele....just not conventionally pretty that's all.

^^and with her nose, lips, teeth, jaw, eyes... most everything. :lol:

^ Haha...
Well when I said mouth that included those lips and all those teeth..... :lol::lol:

Sorry KK, yeah you're still amazin..

but since she was marketed to be a VS girl from 2000-2008, we tend to forget what she looks like under the makeup, hair, and tan. she's jolie-laide underneath it all. which is truly great, how she can morph like that.

ukExdyj.jpg

blogmodelmanagement.com

but since she was marketed to be a VS girl from 2000-2008, we tend to forget what she looks like under the makeup, hair, and tan. she's jolie-laide underneath it all. which is truly great, how she can morph like that.

Not that I'm trying to disprove anything but to be honest every single girl looked jolie-laide on that LV casting board from a/w 2010 with that harsh/bad lighting and no make up.

Not that I'm trying to disprove anything but to be honest every single girl looked jolie-laide on that LV casting board from a/w 2010 with that harsh/bad lighting and no make up.
definitely yes, but I still think her features are Jolie-laide in other photos too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cclicker9
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"