Prada F/W 09.10 Milan

Looking at the show pics I wonder how on earth this collection will translate onto "normal" people. the models are tall and have beautiful slim bodies and yet these clothes make them look dumpy and frumpy at times. What hope for the rest of us mere mortals - even assuming we could afford them!!

Okay i dint like this collection at first but i like some of the looks the jackets and the bags look nice :flower:

Those boots ruin the collection :ninja:
Some dresses look quite nice...But without those shoes.

This has nothing to do with offering a "new" sexy. This is her reponse to the testosterone overload this world has seen and the upcoming consequences we are just starting to experience. It's obvious her influences were in places where masculinity plays the biggest role.
What an absolutely wonderful analysis.:heart:

when the first pictures started showing up I absolutely hated it, but after going through the whole collection again I love it! the skirts, jackets, and bags are amazing. the only thing I don't like are the fisherman boots

don't really get the garter-rain boots, not crazy about the velvet/brocade-y numbers either but love the colour palette, and as a whole I like the different ideas in it. :smile:

Huh? Facing up to reality? With $10,000 fur vests? With $7000 "waders"??

Let's face Reality - designer fashion is *never* about the bread and butter reality, it's a luxury, it's escapist. It's probably a fantastic dream of Miuccia Prada herself to nurse this particular "Outdoor/Country/Gladiatrix/Warrior Women" fantasy. Where else would you wear those thigh-high boots except to a party? It's like Marie Antoinette playing Country Girl milking cows with her fake "village".

All else aside, this is another relatively normal p-a-p collection spiced up with fur dresses and thigh-high waders and wool shorts. Most of it is just wearable suits, velvet devore and embroidered brocade coats, "Anna Wintour" stuff, but you need some "extreme" elements to feed to the press, so they have something to write about, eg. the new Warrior Woman. In fact, she has done this before, in her previous acid fur Urban Warrior collection, which was more convincing, consistent and innovative, and which started the trend towards textures. It was panned at that time but the texture trend remains with us today.

word

i like it although it' kind of a mix of old past collection for me in terms of silhouettes, fabrics, etc...

The concept of wearing Fisherman's thigh-high rubber boots is NOTHING original.

Martin Margiela used the same exact boots for one of his earliest collections, back in 1989...yes, that's right...1989...almost 30 years ago.

Miucchia also used plenty of burned velvets...also, very early vintage Martin Margiela.

The only part of this collection that isn't very early Margiela is.....she didn't cover the models' faces for the runway show...like Margiela once did, years and years ago.

The concept of wearing Fisherman's thigh-high rubber boots is NOTHING original.

Martin Margiela used the same exact boots for one of his earliest collections, back in 1989...yes, that's right...1989...almost 30 years ago.

Um, unless I've fallen through a wormhole, wasn't 1989 20 years ago?

Anyway, yes, I vaguely remember them in magazines at the time.

Fashion's cyclical, nothing's new.

The heavy wool suiting, wellies, and the frizzy up-do evoke the wartime UK "land girls" or "Women's Land Army" , who volunteered to do the heavy farm work when all the men left to fight the war. You could call that empowering.

Back then, I'm sure it was empowering for girls to go and work on the land for their country (my great aunt was a land girl and I think she quite enjoyed it), but not now and even then, it was the going to work on the land that was empowering (if it was), not the clothes they had to wear to do it.

Now it's a regurgitation, a pastiche of the 1940s (and 1930s), via the '80s and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not empowering; for me, anyway.

Maybe if there was another just war in progress, it might be. But the only 'war' we're facing now is a war on (mostly male) bankers' greed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The red leather trench is gorgeous and I adore the studded looks/accessories. I love that Miuccia never gives us the same thing, it's most definitely commendable.

from pre fall I think Prada should be somting polite and delicate but she very surprise me by the colosium warior. and I'm still love that!!
Make me feel so hight again!!

pics from style.com

Back then, I'm sure it was empowering for girls to go and work on the land for their country (my great aunt was a land girl and I think she quite enjoyed it), but not now and even then, it was the going to work on the land that was empowering (if it was), not the clothes they had to wear to do it.

Now it's a regurgitation, a pastiche of the 1940s (and 1930s), via the '80s and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not empowering; for me, anyway.

Maybe if there was another just war in progress, it might be. But the only 'war' we're facing now is a war on (mostly male) bankers' greed.

Do you think the "war" the world is dealing with (not just bankers greed, but greed in general) is not enough? The war hasn't changed. It simply has gone from physical to mental. I think it's being illustrated here. Like you stated before, empowerment starts from within. And sometimes empowerment is more about "cleaning house" than actually exerting your power, however it may be. If you think that the world running circular is a matter of regurgitation (which to you is disempowering), then you must be living an insanely innovative life.

When Prada said the party's over, come on, look around, the party IS over. Just like the party was over before each of the past wars occurred.

Do you think that a mental war is not justification enough to want to feel protected and strong? A mental war can be just as destructive as a physical one.

We are in sobering times, and this always separates people into two camps: idealists and realists.

Prada is offering a realist point of view IMO. You cannot always count on reality to offer a pretty, "well-fitting", or empowering picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->