Prada S/S 11 Milan

i was just talking to a friend about this collection... i think it's the first prada collection in which form was "harmed" (bad word here, i'm not a native speaker, sorry) by the idea. many pieces lack something that i find important, although it may sound a bit simplistic for some: beauty. this usually never happens at prada imo, but this time something bothered me, and it was not a "good" bother. i tried to find many words to describe some looks, and i could not escape from the word "ugly" - not "sexy", "pretty" or "interesting" ugly, just downright ugly. the masculine shoes are horrendous. it is bold indeed, but sombreros and coloured fur are just too bold for my taste.
what i like is the idea, the colours, a few looks and, as i said before - the soundtrack. the soundtrack is genius.

a huge no to me. some looks are actually bearable but the biggest part of the collection is quite annoying. that's actually bad for me to say it because i usually adore prada.

I think this collection is great. The colors are so vibrant and fresh and I absolutely adore the silhouettes. Very gorgeous stuff. And so fun too.

For every season, Prada has been like that. 1st look, you ask miuccia, 'Why? Why design these clothes 'like that'' Then, subsequently, when you looked at it again, and see it on real people, editorials. You'll know why Miuccia decided on these. She's a maestro. True designer. She doesn't just design clothes for the obvious.

I can't believe this is Prada.
I digested almost every look coming down from the runway... and I loved 'em all :P

There's so different aesthetics going on here... and she caught me with all of them. From the 'cool' stripes to the exotic South American glamorama to just simply clean minimalism.

I must say my favorite section was the simple black dresses towards the end of the show. Those dresses captured the whole idea for me.

Yes, they were effortless cool.
Yes, they were elegant.
Yes, they were minimal.

Bravo! :clap:

To sum up my feelings about Mrs. Prada's collection, She is like a painter who painted a masterpiece.

What a stroke of genius this collection is. It really touched me emotionally. I can go on and on passionately describing what I love about this collection. But I will just keep it to myself ; )

It's 2011, with this collection in my opinion, you can really see a true glimpse of the future with both optimism and pessimism.

Hmmm...whatever happened to some of the first comments, including mine?

Wanted to say this is a very safe collection, almost recession-proof. It is nothing stunning, but there's great tailoring here, almost strict curvilinear shoulder-neckline-sleeves-old Balenciaga-ish, lots of wardrobe staples. I didn't notice anything ugly, even the shoes were sensible. The cut is also very easy to wear, flattering to most figures, with fuller sleeves, tiny waists, and pencil skirts. Brazil feels right for now, and the designs are modern, sexy yet slightly exotic. Not a collection to stay awake for, but not a shabbyc ollection by any means.

Plus, she has the sense to *not* make her models wear huge ridiculous hats.

I believe that with this collection Miuccia wanted her clothes to speak through the prints and colors rather than the cut and tailoring, so I can understand what she's trying to do here. In that sense, she is actually making a bold statement in the current fashion climate.

this is absolute worst since her disastrous and lazy SS07 (that one was real lazy though)

Well, there's clearly a thought behind this ugly clown attire. Perhaps it's a way of forcing people to be ugly and step away from the quest for physical perfectionism.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually love this collection. It seems to be a mix of Milano's overdoing it and American sportswear, very cool and fresh. It's so whimsical and so cerebral, with complex and fascinating details, very Prada!

overall i think this is a pretty good ss collection. it is funny and fresh and mature but not being old or too young. not sure how i like the cut of the suits but i think the big angular sleeves can work well in many closets. i love the dresses mostly. it is simple and minimal with a twist of embroidery. i especially love that nonchalant black dress at the end with the slit on the side. so simply done and so effective in its laid back sexiness. i would love to sport that look next summer

But how will all this look on the average 5'4 size 8/10 woman? hmmmm

Well, actually, it probably won't look like anything, will it? As this is Prada, so most people will, presumably, just carry on buying the leather goods and sunglasses and leave it at that.

I think all a Prada R-T-W collection really has to do, these days, is to continue to spark interest in the brand (good, or bad - doesn't really matter that much) and even though I, personally, enjoyed this collection, as it reminded me of things my rather daring (for the time) grandmother might have worn, in her youth; even if I hadn't (and even if no one had), it wouldn't really matter too much.

BTW, I'm still not sure what the big deal is about monkeys and bananas? :blink:

Phoebe for Chloe did monkey motifs in S/S '02 and banana prints (that weren't too dissimilar from these, at all) in S/S '04 (and that collection also contained horizontal stripes, BTW) and various other people have done one, or the other, before and (in the case of monkeys and other fruit, anyway) since.

What I feel is different from what I've seen lately (although, certainly not different from what has ever been done), is the juxtaposition of these playful prints with far more sombre and conservative silhouettes and the addition of the baroque elements.

That is a fairly new take, I think?

Or, at least, an interesting reprise of something we haven't seen much, for quite some time.

I find this collection very ugly in a beautiful way. I can't help but be smitten.:wub: I love the eurotouristy vibe of this along the silhouette. and I really love the prints and the bold colors. I especially likes the second half of the show, the first half is very hard to digest and what I think most are reacting the strongest to.

I love how she's given us something completely different from what everyone else has been doing.

it will certainly get your attention, weather you like it or not. at least it's not bland or just nice.

Well, my humble opinion is that not only do I think this collection is one of the highlights of the season, but also a highlight on Miuccia's career. Such irony in this collection and the presentation was fantastic aswell... But then again, just my humble opinion.

i think there's so much thinking behind the styling and every detail. this fascinated me from the very first moment! i feel she designs from a very rational, intellectual place, and not from ocasional artistic inspiration. that's what i love about her.

Every season the same thing goes on.. still I think this is one of my fave thread just because of the discussion taking place in here ....

Miuccia was very smart to keep using the prints .. wasnt EVERYONE in love with the swallow MiuMiu prints which everyone wants ... ??? Now she's doing with bananas ... after the fashion world was like "Eeeeew, strawberries print" Now she's confident enough of her skills to go and proove us wrong by doing bananas ... so tongue-in-chic!!!!

Now, about the overall collection .. there is something very, very, VERY brasilian on Miuccia's take for SS 2011 ... honest to God, the clothes, shapes, colors (and accesories to a lesser degree) SCREAM Sao Paulo Fashion Week ... esp the color palette is the one who triggered memories of many brasilian designers ... (of course, after it has been filtered thru the Miuccia lens).

Prada, the label and their RTW collections are something more intuitive and even beyond ... it makes you feel something (just like art) ... thats why people immediately and viscerally either love it or hate it ... Miuccia leaves me baffled ... I read somewhere in here she cant draw or saw and LOOK what she does season after season ... perfectly polished and styled collections and not only that .. in every single one of them its like she's taking the challenge of turning something ugly into beautiful ... in her clothes there's tension but they're cohesive enough ... to me thats where Miuccia's talent is ... to sprinkle that fairy dust of TASTE on everything to make it hers and have the clothes speak and have a point of view ... after this show ... EVERYONE will immediately recognize next seasons Prada clothes .. it doesnt need a double take even ... the rest of the designers? Some may and some wont ... but this entirely collection will be as memorable as everything she's done ... because, the trained eye knows how intellectually pallatable everything shown in here is ...

Well, actually, it probably won't look like anything, will it? As this is Prada, so most people will, presumably, just carry on buying the leather goods and sunglasses and leave it at that.

I think all a Prada R-T-W collection really has to do, these days, is to continue to spark interest in the brand (good, or bad - doesn't really matter that much) and even though I, personally, enjoyed this collection, as it reminded me of things my rather daring (for the time) grandmother might have worn, in her youth; even if I hadn't (and even if no one had), it wouldn't really matter too much.

BTW, I'm still not sure what the big deal is about monkeys and bananas? :blink:

Phoebe for Chloe did monkey motifs in S/S '02 and banana prints (that weren't too dissimilar from these, at all) in S/S '04 (and that collection also contained horizontal stripes, BTW) and various other people have done one, or the other, before and (in the case of monkeys and other fruit, anyway) since.

What I feel is different from what I've seen lately (although, certainly not different from what has ever been done), is the juxtaposition of these playful prints with far more sombre and conservative silhouettes and the addition of the baroque elements.

That is a fairly new take, I think?

Or, at least, an interesting reprise of something we haven't seen much, for quite some time.

it's just surprising in the environment of minimalism on the one hand and seventies on the other. it's not shocking in general so much as contextually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zland96
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->