Prada S/S 11 Milan

it's just surprising in the environment of minimalism on the one hand and seventies on the other. it's not shocking in general so much as contextually.

Oh, I see - but didn't Miuccia do (albeit '70s YSL inspired) apple motifs, for Resort, at Miu Miu?

So, surely, they (and the animal motifs [tigers, swallows, cats...] she's been doing, for the last few seasons, at Miu Miu) are part of the context we're talking about?

Also, what about the S/S '08 Fairies? That's only two years ago - is that really so long ago that we're now shocked by monkeys?

Not to mention the strawberries at YSL, of course.

Oh, I see - but didn't Miuccia do (albeit '70s YSL inspired) apple motifs, for Resort, at Miu Miu?

So, surely, they (and the animal motifs [tigers, swallows, cats...] she's been doing, for the last few seasons, at Miu Miu) are part of the context we're talking about?

Also, what about the S/S '08 Fairies? That's only two years ago - is that really so long ago that we're now shocked by monkeys?

Not to mention the strawberries at YSL, of course.

again, it's about context for both the house and the season: perhaps the trends of season will re-organize themselves around this prada show making it look of-the-mainstream, but i don't think so: the prada of spring/summer 2008 fell more in line with the moment because we concerned ourselves with artiness and dreaminess all season. richard prince did bags for vuitton, dolce and gabbana sent out girls with flowers painted on their dresses, marc jacobs' show went from back-to-front, christian dior sent out girls in pajamas, and everyone used prints back then from ralph lauren to dries van noten to balenciaga to balmain. so she still gave us something bold, but it felt more of-the-moment. this collection does not tie in neatly to anything going on right now. it's definitely not minimal. it's definitely not seventies. but it feels so RIGHT NOW that it makes you want to "get it." seriously, she basically used the chiquita banana lady as an inspiration point here....

(source: poptimal.com/tag/chiquita-banana/)

Attachments

• Carmen_Miranda.jpg
    Carmen_Miranda.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2
I was just thinking...banana prints,bright colours,sombreros...is this Prada or Agatha Ruiz De La Prada? :rofl:

Best collection thus far.

There's always a plaintive aesthetic that leaves me underwhelmed upon first impression about Prada, but once she's made her impact on me-- it's a lasting impression. She's amazing: There's such restraint about this collection despite it's whimsical and idiosyncratic style.

Let's see if any of the Paris collections can top Prada this season...

Its not a bad collection. I love the bold bright colors and some of the shoes are to die for. As for some of the pieces, Im not feeling them. And by pieces I am talking about the banana prints.

i'm glad not even her husband appreciated the collection. what a crazy household they must have....(btw, does someone have WWD access for the rest of this story?)

Prada Shuts Down Runway Rumors
Posted Monday September 27, 2010

Prada firmly denied speculation Monday that it would alter or nix the spring/summer collection it paraded on the Milan runway last week. The rumor went that Prada’s chief executive officer Patrizio Bertelli was unhappy with the colorful and graphic range, which received good reviews from critics and retailers. According to sources, Prada cancelled some writing appointments in Milan for American retailers, saying the company would bring an enhanced offering to New York at the end of October.

(source: WWD)

Playing with fruit is a dangerous thing. Just as mass market branding picks up on fruit because it's of a distinct form and colour and so easily recalled - Apple, Orange - so the lazy eye in the age of the twitter snap judgment will fall to rest on the most simplistic association.

Just as that YSL collection wasn't 'about' strawberries, so this one isn't 'about' bananas. But it's an association you may well get landed with. The strawberry collection, the banana collection. It's how we end up coming to label and recall it because it's easy and simple to do so.

I can't agree with you Mike that there isn't any, at least engagement, with minimalism or 70's in this collection. Whether one comes to read the references as played with a straight bat or rather a playful deconstruction by way of dialogue is the interesting question but the references are definitely there.

That opening section for instance - clearly minimalist silhouettes almost borrowed from somewhere in Costa's recent history but then on first reception the bright palette seems to subvert the association. (Then you see Jil Sander and it's almost as if Raf turned the subversion on it's head by adopting it and made the first section look like it could have been part of the Sander show - clever)

And all that Bolero and Iberian influence kind of feels 70's doesn't it.

For me what this collection is about is this play of extreme contrasts, a sort of instant deconstruction. You bring a motif then you immediately subvert it with it's opposite. Minimalism - brights; strictness - fruitiness; childlike joy via cartoon prints - sombre death via funereal looks; and so on.

And you're left with a void, nothing solid, everything in flux, reversable in upon itself, a disconnect of broken signifiers and a mirror held up.

That all of that might be lost on most observers as it gets labeled and remembered as the 'banana collection' is sort of delightfully on point.

Playing with fruit is a dangerous thing. Just as mass market branding picks up on fruit because it's of a distinct form and colour and so easily recalled - Apple, Orange - so the lazy eye in the age of the twitter snap judgment will fall to rest on the most simplistic association.

Just as that YSL collection wasn't 'about' strawberries, so this one isn't 'about' bananas. But it's an association you may well get landed with. The strawberry collection, the banana collection. It's how we end up coming to label and recall it because it's easy and simple to do so.

I can't agree with you Mike that there isn't any, at least engagement, with minimalism or 70's in this collection. Whether one comes to read the references as played with a straight bat or rather a playful deconstruction by way of dialogue is the interesting question but the references are definitely there.

That opening section for instance - clearly minimalist silhouettes almost borrowed from somewhere in Costa's recent history but then on first reception the bright palette seems to subvert the association. (Then you see Jil Sander and it's almost as if Raf turned the subversion on it's head by adopting it and made the first section look like it could have been part of the Sander show - clever)

And all that Bolero and Iberian influence kind of feels 70's doesn't it.

For me what this collection is about is this play of extreme contrasts, a sort of instant deconstruction. You bring a motif then you immediately subvert it with it's opposite. Minimalism - brights; strictness - fruitiness; childlike joy via cartoon prints - sombre death via funereal looks; and so on.

And you're left with a void, nothing solid, everything in flux, reversable in upon itself, a disconnect of broken signifiers and a mirror held up.

That all of that might be lost on most observers as it gets labeled and remembered as the 'banana collection' is sort of delightfully on point.

on this score, we'll have to agree to disagree....:flower::flower::flower:

i still hate that strawberry dress -- even after anna dello russo paraded around in it one day during milan fashion week -- and i think the power from the prada show came in how far it stood apart, not how well it fit into the moment. i'd never do the strawberry -- although i did get one of those free strawberry manifesto bags when they were doling them out -- but prada's making me consider the banana ^_^

This show Very Nice
the best of milan
but, However, too many brands to choose
I love Dolce & Gabbana & Fendi & MaxMara,The Show, too

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this collection was mindblowing in endless ways; it was so full of references and I think what makes it so interesting is the juxtaposition of these very references.

There was a Spanish flavour and a colorful approach to fashion mixed in with a sort of Wall Street American woman who wears her sneakers to work and changes into heels later. And on top of that she had some kind of flapper-esque vibe in the shapes of the dresses, and the carrying of furs, and the hairstyles - all of this ending in restraint in a strong assemblage of simple, classic Prada, shift dresses.

And don't even get me started on the shoes! Absolute genius. The menswear sneakers were an interesting take on casual luxury. I like how steady and powerful they made the girls walk. It is infinitely refreshing to see a woman able to walk, with force and purpose, in a pair of shoes, no?
spot on! i'm totally in love with this collection. each and every bit of it.:blush:

I felt a wave of joy while watching this collection. When dissecting the looks one by one, however, there were many aspects of the clothes I did not like. For example: the great, easy dresses would be marred by distracting tassels on the hem for me. The vibrancy and joy of the prints of the outfits coming down the runway in the video seem garish and heavy-handed when they are in the photo. I am a sucker for stripes, so that will be a win for me (stripes always bring me back to that original swimsuit Barbie and, of all silly things, "The Bold and the Beautiful" title sequence and all of that early 90s Beverly Hills glam), but the black pieces were equally a let-down. FANTASTIC show, but the clothes were on the whole not what I would want to wear (except that flirty orange stripe dress).

The sunglasses look like something out of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. In fact, this seems to be a very Umpa Lumpa friendly collection.

As much as I usually adore everything that comes from Prada, I still don't like most of this.

But I must admire that it was very impressive of Miuccia to put out such unexpected and bold collection with all those YSL inspired shows around. That's what I love about her presentations so much - you can love it or hate it, but you will remember it and it'll cause a stir anyway.

I also think that this collection will look fantastic in print, there so many strong outfits like the banana/baroque monkeys pieces or the little cabaret dresses on Daphne and Tati. Plus I adore the furs, they give such an unique, quirky twist to the minialistic designs.

well, this collection has already landed on the red carpet. i must say, it's quite a transformative collection....

FP_6041545_TRG_Mendes_Ferrell_OtherGuys_111110.jpg

(source: redcarpet-fashionawards.com)

^yes, suits her
jackets would be a better challenge :P

i found the colours and some prints a bit overbearing in this show, i think it doesn't work with a lot of skin tones. despite that the fit looks fresh and i love the embroideries. Would be nice to see people dressing like this

i know that designers leak their pieces long before the hit the store racks, but i feel like i've seen this prada collection everywhere -- and on women who have their pick of the litter as far as fashion goes -- before the resort collection has even collected dust on the shelves.

13m.jpg

style.com

I think it's a little ridiculous that some celebrities are wearing S/S 2011 clothes, when is not even winter yet.

To be entirely honest, I liked the collection. I'm late in commenting here because I've decided to review the collections slowly this season but all in all I think that there are some pretty solid pieces and alot of problems people have with it, is the styling.

To me I see alot of beauty with a tweak that makes it garish. For example some of the lengths of the dresses to me read too long but the dress it self was beautiful. I ended up with a lot of this would be beautiful if. All of this came during the 2 minutes I spent clicking through the collection on style.com the day after it showed.

When I saw Shala Monroque wearing it on Jak and Jil, only a few days after showing it I knew I'd love the collection. And I do, it's so hedonistic to me. I feel like of all the collections, this one will be one that will influence other collections and trends for the seasons to come. To me, designers have been wanting to change up things but some were/are too timid and now that Miuccia has done it they'll feel free to jump on board.

Oh and did the boaters remind anyone else of the Balenciaga shoes?

monkeyprada.jpg

jakandjil

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenixavier
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->