US Vogue April 2019 : 'A Celebration of Global Talent' by Mikael Jansson

Yalitza got Teen Vogue, W and Vanity Fair. These are already high accomplishments.

Y’all be hating because of the absence of Yalitza, as if her presence on the cover will change your mind about Anna. Please.

And I can’t with those who clamor for diversity, but when it’s given, it’s apparently “disingenuous”. I mean you really can’t win.

Also, these media outlets bashing Vogue while letting Glenda Bailey off the hook. I mean that pretty much sums up credibility.

The covers are alright, actually. The casting and the combination of different people on each cover are quite interesting.

Are people still upset over Johansson playing that role? Would anyone in their right mind turn down a big amount of cash? Give that woman a break. If you need someone to whine about over that awful movie, it's the casting directors. As for this cover, I don't see what the controversy is about? It's diverse, it's spring romantic and it's pretty. The women are random and I only ever heard three names out of the bunch but whatever. I need to see this Karl tribute and it better be worthy unlike that tragedy Farneti put together.

In this day and age, we can demand more from actors and celebrities, especially from Scarlett Johansson, because of her star power, and she can turn down the role and not suffer any consequences because of it. Given the lack of Asian faces in Hollywood, she should have done her bit part by not contributing to the issue and by turning down the role. Whether the role eventually goes to an Asian face is another issue - she would not be responsible for the latter: this depends on casting directors, but also the directors, producers and the studios.

That said, I'm pretty indifferent toward seeing Johansson on this cover.
Besides, again, Angelababy's landing on US vogue, i believe, is largely due to her relationship with Dior, with whom FBB rarely cross path.

Coming from a Hong Kong girl, I'm happy to confirm that Angelababy doesn't have any talent at all. She is incredibly well-connected though, so I am not surprised about the cover. I'm also very certain that you're all correct that they probably wanted to get Fan Bing Bing first. :lol:

Love Yalitza but Eiza G probably makes more sense as a Mexico representative? Yalitza just came out on the scene and like someone said she doesn't seem interested in an acting career.

I have to laugh. Anglababy is NOT a talent, not to mention representing China.

Same feeling when I saw her on the cover, because she can't act or do anything except being the candy for paparazzi. I really don't her, she can't act ( I have seen her stuffs ). It's quite embarrassing compare to other women on the cover. All I can say is if Vogue pick a typical asian face on the cover, the Chinese will make a fuzz and complain they are racist and stop the stereotype of Chinese representaion.

Yalitza got Teen Vogue, W and Vanity Fair. These are already high accomplishments.
A digital ‘cover’ for Teen Vogue is no way on the same level as a Vanity Fair or W cover.

Lol Angelababy is famous for her famous plastic surgeries and her denial of all of them. I agree with others FBB would have been a better cover choice.

It's just interesting that Angelababy now have an American Vogue cover (which is a triumph considering no other Chinese actress has one, not Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi, nor Maggie Cheung), yet she never graced Vogue China. Watch how Angelica Cheung will now be pressured to give way, lol.

Tragic cover story.
However, I personally prefer this to their usual 'models of the moment' routine.

I wish the personalities/talents were more relevant. The cast is bland. No offence to AngelaBaby, whom I think is one of the most beautiful women, but if we are talking globally then... Gemma Chan maybe? Elizabeth... Vanessa... again love them both, but choose one maybe?

Gemma Chan is British....
The idea is to have 14 women from 14 different countries. So switching AngelaBaby for Gemma would not have made sense as they are not from the same country.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see Gemma featured as she is fabulous. Happy to see Vanessa Kirby though as well. Both are great.

Love Yalitza but Eiza G probably makes more sense as a Mexico representative? Yalitza just came out on the scene and like someone said she doesn't seem interested in an acting career.

Totally i agree with you, could be great to see Yalitza on the cover story, but it seems Anna choose Eiza because she has appeared many movies in Hollywood than Yalitza. That's a difference between their, this editorial looks ok & the covers are bland & boring.

tigerrouge summed up my thoughts to a tee, so nothing much to add here. The covers feel very disingenuous and forced, not to mention that the casting is (as ever with US Vogue) utterly random. You can feel Edward's influence all over this, tragic to see Anna scraping ideas from her former employee instead of leading from the front as she should still be doing!

I do like several of the images in the cover story (particularly Lea) though; Mikael's photography is just beautiful as ever.

is that Angelababy the asian Kim K?

What is this?! Having the white women front and centre on both covers is so grossly racist. Sure you could say that the American actress would be front and centre on US Vogue but why did they choose the whitest actress ever to be the American ‘representative’? F*** that! And I just can’t agree that this supposed show of diversity is better late than never. It is worse because so much time has passed and Vogue still can’t get it right? Yes it’s just a magazine to some, but to others it’s still a type of mainstream media that could really help to advance real diversity. It’s painful seeing Vogue so horribly stuck in the past.

It's true that having the white actresses in the middle and actresses of colour on the side in BOTH covers isn't right. What kind of message does that send? Some may argue that we should just shut up and be happy we have diversity., but at the end of the day although subtle and unnoticed by most, this kind of thing is important and needs to be challenged.

^that's what sealed it for me, the two covers done the same way. Both 'diverse' covers needed to have the non-white women hanging on like accessories? The white women are massively imposing too. A lot of people get frustrated like 'oh, Vogue can't win! They have diverse cover stars and still everyone complains.' But when the message is as mixed as this, it's clear that it's a disingenuous, tone deaf effort that wasn't run past anyone but the same individuals who haven't cared about diversity for the decades they've already been in power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NavidNoor
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->