US Vogue May 2021 : Amanda Gorman by Annie Leibovitz

^^^ The headband is childish and I would hate it on anyone. Just my opinion, obviously by no means is the cover going to be reprinted without it now. And I am fine with however Ms. Gorman wishes to present herself to the world but on Vogue I do wish they would present their cover stars in a different or unique way that the person isn’t normally seen in or in their natural settings. If we want to bring poetry and more “depth” into the matter I would have loved to have seen Maya Angelou on the cover whose book I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings really was inspiring to me when I read it and the many other poems such as “In and Out of Time” and “They Went Home...” are ones that come off the top of my head that I remember really liking. And if Maya Angelou had been on the cover how great it would have been to see her presented in a unique, artistic and creative way that she wouldn’t normally be. For me Vogue is a way to interpret what is happening in the world through an aspiring fantasy that doesn’t exist beyond the photographers studio. Not many people, no matter the color of their skin, are going to walk around their home in one of John Galliano’s creations from Dior in the early 2000’s. Unfortunately Mrs. Angelou is no longer in this world so that will never happen.
If we want to keep the headband Amanda is currently wearing, why not remove the dress she is wearing and put her in some voluminous floral print dress, take her beautiful braids and shape them into flower buds to mimic the headband (which I hate), and photograph her in a natural setting like a garden. And then instead of “Fashion, We Missed You,” and replace it with something like “Blossoming, A Young Woman sharing her Voice” or “In Full Bloom, How Amanda Gorman reflects on the world...” perhaps also along with the typical interview have her write a piece about fashion. Perhaps she did write a poem for this occasion and it hasn’t been released yet.
Now that I have tried to give more depth I am reminded of a T-shirt I used to wear with a quote from The New York Times discussing fashion...”Shallow, Superficial and Wonderful...” I am generally a shallow and materialistic person as is fashion which is why I am so attracted to and work within this world.
And now to move on to new matters with this issue...the editorial with Mr. Green is gorgeous. Very stunning. He is proving his talents are starting to find a better grounding and can replace the very much missed work of Patrick Demarchelier. How I wish the picture with Adut in the Valentino couture had been the cover. Almost any of these shots would have been a better cover.

^^^ The headband is childish and I would hate it on anyone. Just my opinion, obviously by no means is the cover going to be reprinted without it now. And I am fine with however Ms. Gorman wishes to present herself to the world but on Vogue I do wish they would present their cover stars in a different or unique way that the person isn’t normally seen in or in their natural settings. If we want to bring poetry and more “depth” into the matter I would have loved to have seen Maya Angelou on the cover whose book I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings really was inspiring to me when I read it and the many other poems such as “In and Out of Time” and “They Went Home...” are ones that come off the top of my head that I remember really liking. And if Maya Angelou had been on the cover how great it would have been to see her presented in a unique, artistic and creative way that she wouldn’t normally be. For me Vogue is a way to interpret what is happening in the world through an aspiring fantasy that doesn’t exist beyond the photographers studio. Not many people, no matter the color of their skin, are going to walk around their home in one of John Galliano’s creations from Dior in the early 2000’s. Unfortunately Mrs. Angelou is no longer in this world so that will never happen.
If we want to keep the headband Amanda is currently wearing, why not remove the dress she is wearing and put her in some voluminous floral print dress, take her beautiful braids and shape them into flower buds to mimic the headband (which I hate), and photograph her in a natural setting like a garden. And then instead of “Fashion, We Missed You,” and replace it with something like “Blossoming, A Young Woman sharing her Voice” or “In Full Bloom, How Amanda Gorman reflects on the world...” perhaps also along with the typical interview have her write a piece about fashion. Perhaps she did write a poem for this occasion and it hasn’t been released yet.
Now that I have tried to give more depth I am reminded of a T-shirt I used to wear with a quote from The New York Times discussing fashion...”Shallow, Superficial and Wonderful...” I am generally a shallow and materialistic person as is fashion which is why I am so attracted to and work within this world.
And now to move on to new matters with this issue...the editorial with Mr. Green is gorgeous. Very stunning. He is proving his talents are starting to find a better grounding and can replace the very much missed work of Patrick Demarchelier. How I wish the picture with Adut in the Valentino couture had been the cover. Almost any of these shots would have been a better cover.

I actually don't like the headband either LOL. I love everything you've said, you actually had interesting things to say instead of having to go low and omit to simply calling something "ugly" and writing it off. I appreciate when people paint a picture of what they would have done differently. I do agree, some more volume in her dress would have been nice, but i'm loving those prints and patterns.

MOD NOTE: While conversations on the note of racism and racial prejudice in our present-day are integral towards sustaining a civilized community, we do not allow the derailment of thread topics, nor do we allow the direct targeting of forum members, and will continue to delete posts which do not abide by our Forum Rules.

Both covers are stunning & when i see the title "Fashion's Back" that's to state includes glamourous editorials. Hope that this issue will not be a boring "lockdown" portfolio.

MOD NOTE: While conversations on the note of racism and racial prejudice in our present-day are integral towards sustaining a civilized community, we do not allow the derailment of thread topics, nor do we allow the direct targeting of forum members, and will continue to delete posts which do not abide by our Forum Rules.
So that means people can post racist and ignorant stuff, but other members can’t call them out for their racist and ignorant stuff?

And how can we hold the moderators accountable for their moderation? And how diverse is our pool of moderators at the moment?

So that means people can post racist and ignorant stuff, but other members can’t call them out for their racist and ignorant stuff?

And how can we hold the moderators accountable for their moderation? And how diverse is our pool of moderators at the moment?
Racism is not allowed nor tolerated, period, and we highly encourage any and all posts of that nature to be reported to us so action can be taken. Amanda Gorman is indeed most notable for her inaugural speech, and I agree that her culture and poetry should be acknowledged, as it is directly related to her - comments about what does and doesn't constitute as racism, on the other hand, doesn't, and therefore is off-topic.

EDIT: Regarding my previous statement on the necessity of conversations revolving around race, I personally don't find a problem with opinion statements on the execution of one's heritage/background to distract from the central conversation of a thread, so long as it continues to remain on-topic (racist comments are not allowed - often derails into unrelated political conversation) and doesn't result in targeting/attacking amongst members (which can also be ignited by racism); otherwise, action should be taken. Consistently putting down one's physical appearance is also not tolerated.

Please refer to the following threads to issue concerns against moderation:
https://forums.thefashionspot.com/threads/bullying-between-tfs-members.402940/ (re: harshness against members)
https://forums.thefashionspot.com/threads/the-board-is-dead.381947/ (re: inactivity in forums)
https://forums.thefashionspot.com/threads/hypocrisy-of-acceptable-posts.388695/ (re: unfair treatment by mods)
(+ our general Suggestions thread...) https://forums.thefashionspot.com/threads/tfs-suggestions-thread.179779/

I am a woman of color, and, although I would prefer not to disclose the personal identities of those outside myself unless preferable on their end, can assure you & all other members that there is absolutely no racial bias in regards to moderation. All disagreements can be issued privately or publicly, and, while it will be deleted if issued in an inappropriate thread, will be discussed as necessary to provide resolution.

Last edited:
Racism is not allowed nor tolerated, period, and we highly encourage any and all posts of that nature to be reported to us so action can be taken. Amanda Gorman is indeed most notable for her inaugural speech, and I agree that her culture and poetry should be acknowledged, as it is directly related to her - comments about what does and doesn't constitute as racism, on the other hand, doesn't, and therefore is off-topic.

EDIT: Regarding my previous statement on the necessity of conversations revolving around race, I personally don't find a problem with opinion statements on the execution of one's heritage/background to distract from the central conversation of a thread, so long as it continues to remain on-topic (racist comments are not allowed - often derails into unrelated political conversation) and doesn't result in targeting/attacking amongst members (which can also be ignited by racism); otherwise, action should be taken. Consistently putting down one's physical appearance is also not tolerated.

Please refer to the following threads to issue concerns against moderation:
https://forums.thefashionspot.com/threads/bullying-between-tfs-members.402940/ (re: harshness against members)
https://forums.thefashionspot.com/threads/the-board-is-dead.381947/ (re: inactivity in forums)
https://forums.thefashionspot.com/threads/hypocrisy-of-acceptable-posts.388695/ (re: unfair treatment by mods)
(+ our general Suggestions thread...) https://forums.thefashionspot.com/threads/tfs-suggestions-thread.179779/

I am a woman of color, and, although I would prefer not to disclose the personal identities of those outside myself unless preferable on their end, can assure you & all other members that there is absolutely no racial bias in regards to moderation. All disagreements can be issued privately or publicly, and, while it will be deleted if issued in an inappropriate thread, will be discussed as necessary to provide resolution.
Thanks Armani! I appreciate your response!

I love Amanda, but after seeing Adut and Imaan pictures together, I wish they would have gotten the cover. Or have them have their own covers shot by Ethan.

I don’t blame Lila for this mess. I put all the blame on the photographer. Don’t understand what Anna sees in him.

Every month, US Vogue churns out one of these weak 'conceptual' editorials that's a complete waste of everyone's time, and tries to pass it off as content worth paying for.

Got my copy about a week and half ago. It's 148 pages, underwhelming content as usual. At least there is a fashion editorial (with Adut and Iman by EJG). There's another bag editorial by Alex Harrington that is a complete snooze fest, dull and everything a fashion editorial shouldn't be. On a good note, I think the paper/printing quality improved, it does look better and the paper feels heavier, making the 148 page issue much thicker. Well that's all I can say for this issue.

Anna starts her note by comparing Giorgio and Amanda, she talked about the 'Bring Back the Fashion' editorial and ends with Amanda. The whole issue ends with a badly shot and cropped Jill Sander sparkle flats on a blue background. There you have it, US Vogue May 2021!

Forgot to mention the last editorial 'Practical Magic' by Stephan Ruiz, also starring Adut and Ugbad, very basic shoot by Camilla Nickerson.

Pathetic on so many levels. To think a team of professionals got paid to produce this...
Exactly! Makes me upset because the team of EJG editorial got paid the same (I guess) and has the high fashion elements that we want to see in vogue

I thought worse, the cover story is in perfect Vogue style, Ethan's editorial also, very US vogue, Lily Moss's editorial is terrible like all Nigel Shafran editorials and alex harrington is not suitable for US Vogue. Stephan Ruiz's editorial Its good, there are models, there is fashion, but the credit for this also goes to tonne goodman and Camilla nickerson faithful in their style, I hope to see in the next issue an editorial signed by Grace coddington who together a tonne and Camilla are the triad of Vogue US, despite everything they manage to do a good job.it would be great to have Jessica diehl on the team of editors (who did a great job at Vanity Fair)

Nigel Shafran makes me sick to my stomach and I will never get tired of hating on him. Disgusting, disturbing and highly offensive and I can not believe that his work is actually getting published in Vogue. Embarrassing for everyone involved. UGH! Why? He's literally the worst fashion photographer I've ever seen in my entire life and you can't tell me it's artistic it's literally so ugly and pointless and I never want to see it again. Gross. :yuk:

Camilla Nickerson's editorial with Ugbad could literally be a reprint and no one would notice. There's an identical story with Adut and Ugbad published in Vogue every other month and it's just boring. I guess it's the new jumping-against-the-grey-backdrop for them. At least the jumping was dynamic... That being said, Imaan and Adut look great!

EJG story is literally the only content even worth mentioning here. Fabulous story!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->