US Vogue May 2021 : Amanda Gorman by Annie Leibovitz

Love this. I wish the first cover would be a better layout or something the would make the photo pops. Otherwise, this is a very solid (if not predictable) cover choice. I have to say though the editorial looks GREAT! I felt like this is actually very quintessential Vogue US and it's really nice to see that done on a new and fresh subject like Amanda.

On the cover choice, I don't think it's too soon to put her on the cover. The post about her on during inauguration by Thai media gained quite a lot of engagement. While many wouldn't be aware of her but this is very on brand with the new Vogue and definitely Anna chose the right direction for it.

Or telling James Corden he's her 'favorite human being ever created' :ninja:. She's 23, btw.. I think it's more celebrity culture than naivety at play here. And don't get me wrong, I have no reason to doubt she's talented.. I haven't read her any of her books, just the poetry that has been publicized and.. just not the style I'm into.

I suppose dsmag's point is about the good ol' center of the universe complex that's common among Americans, but, I'll just say that this seems like a continual complaint in US Vogue threads "does she merit a cover? never heard of her here in Italy!". Just like Vogue Arabia will feature characters that are relevant to their society and that most of us have never heard of, American Vogue is no different and needs to be able to communicate to potential readers (the kind that see this while waiting to pay for their groceries..) by featuring people that they might know not necessarily because they're huge international stars, but through domestic.. hype.

'Human' is such an overused word nowadays, especially on social media, lol. But I still like her though (only watched a few of her interviews).

Lol, I keep reading your theory on why foreign members shouldn't feel as though they have a stake in US Vogue, but here's the thing. They (US Vogue) set themselves up as the type of 'be all and end all' magazine, the ultimate authority that can cater to both native and global tastes. I imagine they have pockets of readers across the globe because do you know that US Vogue can be found in 90% of countries I've travelled to? There's no reason for a supermarket in Vietnam to sell US Vogue unless it's a matter of supply and demand.
That global reach is the reason why they're so obsessed with English actresses and globally hyperfamous pop stars. It's also the reason why the Pope and foreign politicians are prepared to do interviews with the magazine and why they could brave that May cover with global actresses, many of who American readers wouldn't know or wouldn't be able to watch/understand their films. And it will always be the reason why everyone's level of fame/worthiness will be called into question when they appear on the cover.

If this isn't the most American statement, I don't know ...

Did I lie, though?

frankly I wish that weren’t the case, since our politicians and government are often despicable and embarrassing. It’s not conceited to state the fact that American politics get more coverage, globally, than just about anyone else, though.

I don't think that is something a national television network can afford to broadcast at its entirety in most countries, it's too expensive, not to mention mega cringey unless you are from that country yourself (what non-Brazilian person could stomach a 2-hour bombastic, chauvinist and pentecoastal-ish event featuring a bunch of Brazilians singing and screaming 'whoa woo woo Brazil, the land of the GREATEST!!'? ..exactly).

:rofl::rofl:

*wait, editing this: can someone break down for me the meaning of Armani making an appearance in the cover? is it a white flag or.. am I way behind the news? didn't he have some beef with American Vogue? where's Lola? :lol:
In 2010 was huge beef between Italian brands and Anna about Milan fashion week:

Are Anna Wintour’s Oscar Plans Interfering With Milan Fashion Week?
Prada, Fendi Extend Milan Fashion Week
Fab Flash: Drama Surrounds Milan Fashion Week Schedule

Armani was pissed of Anna. He threatened to split the show into several parts and each part would be on a different day.

Next dram was in 2014:
Giorgio Armani hits out at Vogue editor Anna Wintour after she snubbed
Armani stopped buy ad in american vogue.

she’s on the cover because she’s photogenic.
She has contract with IMG models.

Did I lie, though?

frankly I wish that weren’t the case, since our politicians and government are often despicable and embarrassing. It’s not conceited to state the fact that American politics get more coverage, globally, than just about anyone else, though.

It could depend on the country you´re in? cause I´m in Spain and there´s more news about Germany and France than the US, I think that the last news was Biden falling on the plane steps and that was because it was funny.

It could depend on the country you´re in? cause I´m in Spain and there´s more news about Germany and France than the US, I think that the last news was Biden falling on the plane steps and that was because it was funny.

My boyfriend is from Spain (now living in the US) and listens to Spanish news podcasts every morning and I hear American politics and culture mentioned very often. I’m not saying every country is obsessed with America, but if a president of another country tripping on some steps is making it into your local news, that kinda proves my point.

My boyfriend is from Spain (now living in the US) and listens to Spanish news podcasts every morning and I hear American politics and culture mentioned very often. I’m not saying every country is obsessed with America, but if a president of another country tripping on some steps is making it into your local news, that kinda proves my point.

I watch the morning and evening news on tv and they hardly mention the US, mostly related to the pandemic but so are mentioned many other countries. The video of the steps, I saw it on a bloopers/funny stuff tv show, not the news. Back when Trump was in office, the country was mentioned more often because of his crazy antics. My US culture/politics news I get on facebook groups with people from there, not my local news.

Trump has been out of office for... 78 days, not exactly ancient history. I’d fully expect France or Germany or other neighboring countries or EU countries to be mentioned *more* often in Spain. My point is absolutely not that the US is mentioned more than any other country in every country, but rather than major happenings in American politics become news in virtually every country. Us getting a new president was probably major news in every country on earth. Whereas most people, globally, could not tell you who the president and Vice President of Spain are, who the king is, many probably don’t even know Spain has a king. Some countries live larger than others, how is this even a discussion? Y’all protest too much.

Is funny how people is debating about if Amanda deserves or not the cover or how known she is around the world. Is a fact that the inaugural day was trending topic worldwide because we like it or not, USA is maybe the most powerful country of the world.

If some of us didn't pay attention to that event, is ok. Maybe we had something more "interesting" to do that morning so, we can care or not.

At the end of the day no matter how commercial Vogue US is around the world or how big is their impact, is still being the US edition of Vogue and like the other editions around the world, is gonna reflect the situation of US and if Anna decides that Amanda is relevant enough in her country, she's gonna put her on the cover.

Whereas most people, globally, could not tell you who the president and Vice President of Spain are, who the king is, many probably don’t even know Spain has a king.

Well all I know is that the King is hot and that Queen Letizia showed her true colours when she tried to make it all about her when she basically denied Queen Sofia one measly little photo op with the girls. Remember this? Yeah, such a tasteless display to be honest. The little girl on the left is quite rude pushing her gran's arm away like that. Must be Letizia's influence.

^ but are your friends like mine and ask you 'how do you even know that stuff?' :lol: (I live for that family's drama: did you know the grandfather now lives exiled in the Middle East cause he was corrupt af? ☕️..).

Back to the exportation of American Vogue: why would they pass on the grand opportunity of tagging along every other American product that is aggressively exported to every corner of the world regardless of whether the people in said places even speak the language?. My point was the content, ever seen the latest release by Laura Pausini or Etienne Daho featured in American Vogue? no, they will feature English or French actresses as long as they have something that has found a distributor in the US, that can be purchased as soon as possible by the market this is directed to: Americans.

YohjiAddict, I think the seriousness also lies on the proximity of the audience. Most of the people in this forum are primarily familiar with celebrities because of their clothes, it does not mean that is their craft (wearing expensive clothes). You can have someone that is excellent at what they do, that advocates for justice in the most serious field there is to bring it into reality (law/international law), such as Amal Clooney, yet the average public that keeps a closer eye on Hollywood than on The Hague, will tell you they just know her for her expensive clothes and hot-ish husband. I do notice some discrepancies in Amanda's PR, but I think that comes down to her US publisher, Viking Books. I really have no idea what level of control she has in all of this, I just know that the standards and subsequent firing of her international translators because they could not possibly translate her poetry due to lacking similar life experiences was baffling and inevitably turns the spotlight on their own client because.. should such strict standards be applied for everyone, I doubt she would qualify to write her own poetry having lived a privileged life in wealthy districts and attending the most expensive schools in the country; her work is mostly based on theoretical knowledge. Again, I think it's great she's making poetry popular for a new generation and writing about things that matter and not serving freakin' 'me, me and more of me' Sylvia Plath stuff but some of the messages sent out by her purist publishers only incentivize the scrutiny.

Any info on the contents??? Anyone?

Her message isn't invalidated or weakened by the sole fact that she's able to wear expensive designer clothing.

IMO, her success, her being able to speak during the Inauguration, her being able to wear designer clothes ++ is part of her message — that the missing link between the black community and success is opportunity.

I'm sure millions of the people she aims to speak to and for are inspired by this cover. Hers is a story of success.

Agreed 100% I didnt know that poets had to shop at Marshalls or Walmart to be taken seriously.

That said I love both covers and the ed and agree with the text on the cover 'Fashion we missed you'

Lies! Everyone knows the whole world is obsessed with *all* Americans!

You a mom and pop
We’re a corporation
We’re the press conference
You a conversation
Oh, why you so obsessed with us (boy we wanna know)

Did I lie, though?

You're absolutely right, we get more press coverage than any other nation. It's just your comments reek of typical 'American who believes themselves to be center of the world.' Going by your subsequent posts, I'm assuming you didn't mean it to come off that way.

I'm not surprised there are many people on this forum who don't recognize her. I've been obsessed with her since her poem at the inauguration. I'm one of the few on here who HAAAAATES these covers, hates the art direction, hates the styling in most of the shots, and hate the photography.

I think they did her dirty. I think this could have been much better, it feels dated, stale. I'm ecstatic she made the cover of Vogue; I just don't love the cover nor the editorial.
Just my 2 cents.

Who is this person?

Awful first cover, where is the fashion? This isn't a heritage magazine.

The second cover is bland but that dress is gorgeous, is that dior? wow that is a beautifully made dress, can't take that from Dior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->