US Vogue May 2021 : Amanda Gorman by Annie Leibovitz

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by JPineapple, Apr 7, 2021.

1. fakeawake

fakeawake Well-Known Member

I just noticed that VOGUE MAGAZINE GOT 50K LIKES. I know guys who show off their abs that get 125k+ likes.

WOW... Vogue is irrelevant.

The US is the Paris everyone else is the Kim.

#81 fakeawake, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Royal-Galliano likes this.
  2. kokobombon

kokobombon Well-Known Member

Wow I´m so offended by this comment and I´m a white GenX person... you ask where is the fashion? it´s a "Louis Vuitton look that celebrates men’s artistic director @VirgilAbloh’s personal African heritage" it doesn´t get more fashion than that imo... and the current Vogue wishes they were as interesting as a heritage magazine...

3. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

That's not really an indication of their irrelevance though, it's more what social media has become. Do good and there will be radio silence. Mess up and everyone will be all over it.

4. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

both of these covers got over 100k likes on the Vogue Instagram page and then hundreds of thousands more on Amanda’s page. Compare that, for example, to British Vogue’s Thandiwe cover which got under 15k likes. It’s not really a sign of relevance. Thirst traps and Kardashians rule Instagram.

5. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Instagram likes are not a place a gauge relevance considering most of those liking are almost like zombies tapping the button and scrolling up. Its mostly socialites and influencers that are keen on that scale since it contributes to their earnings directly.

danawokarrr and Benn98 like this.
  6. fakeawake

fakeawake Well-Known Member

Ok so a bunch of excuses for why Vogue can't put up numbers.

A guy with six pack and tattoos gets more likes than this, that means that Vogue isn't that interesting.

yes where is the fashion, your comment didnt make any fashion appear nor did it make virgil become a real designer.

... So where is vogue making money exactly. nobody is buying the magazine or liking their page...is there another platform im missing? Vogue doesn't create pictures for a vaccum, Vogue isn't a charity that exists to make pics for fun, Vogue wants to be the most relevant thing in the world. The idea that vogue doesn't care about likes reminds me of people saying Beyonce doesn't care about #1s. Everyone cares about being #1 - these are just excuses bc Vogue can't be #1 right now. Vogue is desperate to compete since their advertisers are probably going to IG models and youtubers because the engagement is much much higher... Wait I thought nobody cared about IG? Im confused...

I looked this person up Vogue picked this person excluisvely for likes from the woke crowd, but even they aren't showing up. embarassing. go woke go broke

#86 fakeawake, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  7. matheus_s

matheus_s Well-Known Member

Any review?

8. JPineapple

JPineapple Well-Known Member

If Vogue is irrelevant and don’t sell, why still running?

No matter how bad they do, how pages the issue have or how nepo is (yes Farneti, I’m talking to you). Vogue still being Vogue and no matter how many likes they have, even Kim Kardashian needs Vogue more than Vogue needs her.

9. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

That guy with a 6 pack with a million likes still wants to be in Vogue than they want him in.

10. MON

MON Well-Known Member

What a bizarre logic. If a person thinks that likes=relevance, then it says a lot about that person than US Vogue. It's such a microscopic take on the industry.

Magazines are shifting to digital.. but going digital doesn't mean Instagram. Vogue is a business, it's beyond Instagram. Digital means www.vogue.com

And ps, the discussion in this forum is really declining.

11. conspicuousconsumer

To give my two cents on the matter, the second cover is the better option. I absolutely hate that headband she is wearing. Childish and not glamorous, sophisticated, chic, edgy or sexy at all.
    Now does she deserve a cover? I can’t decide. I’m not the biggest fan of what poems I have read. And to comment on her and actually the American inauguration in general...it was far too religious in undertone for a country that should be separating church and state. However I will overlook this unsuitable event having experienced the abhorrent behavior of the last administration. Sometimes one wishes the British would have won all those years ago.
    Miss Gorman is pretty for a cover not striking or anything but pretty. But it seems most cover subjects recently are lacking in that something special...that pizzazz! However I do happen to view these things with old fashioned ideals of who should be on the cover of Vogue. So don’t be offended by anything I say.
    I wish they would have been more creative with her, maybe a different hairstyle or something more abstract in terms of clothes. Something that she wouldn’t wear outside the fantastical realm of the Vogue universe. I miss when Vogue would give their cover subjects a different look altogether. Not to diminish their character but to add to it. I see her and not Vogue. Probably a reflection more so on the dismal and banal people who call themselves editors now.
    And the cover line “fashion, we missed you!” The fashion has been there, I don’t know what the editors are doing but they obviously should be working possibly at Time or Vanity Fair since they can’t seem to capture a fashion image for the current times we find ourselves in. In a moment of exasperation I simply say chuck them all out, get rid of them.
    Also, who cares about the number of likes when that can easily be bought to make themselves look good. Not important in terms of actual sales of the physical magazine. Also I love that the death of Prince Philip garnered more likes and attention than their other recent posts but again is that just grabbing the attention of random people who don’t understand the very world of Vogue.

12. MagFan

MagFan Well-Known Member

13. caioherrero

caioherrero Well-Known Member

Wow very beautiful edit

14. DK92

DK92 Well-Known Member

kokobombon likes this.
  15. XavierRaphael

XavierRaphael Active Member

so disgusting the racist undertones in this forum, people commenting on how her hair isn't sexy, or her headband childish, the dress "not fashion", so sickening how our conversations cant go deeper than that. Nobody has even discussed her poems. Who cares about Instagram likes, Vogue will always be Vogue. Whether you're buying the magazine or visiting the website, Vogue will always be relevant and i'm happy to see black women, in clothing thats representative of an actual culture that goes beyond "likes".

16. dontbeadrag

dontbeadrag Well-Known Member

^
    While I do get where you are coming from, there are couple of things to address:

1. "Your tone seems very pointed right now". It is quite strange to reflect on other's racist undertones without much back up to the claim and starting your side of the talk with the words "so disgusting".

2. Her poems are sure what got her the cover and her appearance at the inauguration, but this isn't a poetry forum, this is a fashion forum and we discuss sexy/unsexy hair, childish headbands and other aspects of fashion. I have no idea why it is an issue on a fashion forum not to discuss someone's poems, we did not discuss Justin's music when he was on the cover and nor did we discuss Naomi Osaka's tournaments, so why would this case be different?

3. The vast majority of financially eligible population uses social media and particularly Instagram. A lot of fashion houses make the majority of their profit from entry-level products and accessories that people get to show off on social media, and get those likes. I'd say likes aren't essential, but a pretty great metric to measure the relevance.

4. Saying that hair isn't sexy or the headband is childish is racist how? I am sorry, if she is a person of colour, now we are obligated to love everything about this cover and swoon over it? Racism is sure a problem in the contemporary world, but please let's remain sober and separate being logically concerned and being overly sensitive to critical statements.

17. WAVES

WAVES Well-Known Member

18. Serend1pity

Serend1pity Well-Known Member

When you are commenting on her perfectly done and beautiful braids as not being sexy - yes that is prejudice whether you like it or not.

19. Serend1pity

Serend1pity Well-Known Member

This forum can honestly be exhausting as a POC especially as there is an infiltration of people using words like woke you hint that they hate seeing anyone non-cis white getting more covers. Just gross

20. XavierRaphael

XavierRaphael Active Member

Was literally thinking to myself "why is it that whenever there is a POC on the cover, the forum erupts with comments with blatant racism or racist undertones. I've been a member for over a decade and it's become increasingly disheartening to be a POC here. You're right, it's exhausting.

tipi1355, Fiona3 and Serend1pity like this.