US Vogue September 2007 : Sienna Miller by Mario Testino

Caroline!!! Stop jumping!!! Honestly, cant they think of something more original??

well after a very quick breeze through the issue i have this to say:

1. shalom harlow still rocks. fantastic edit! loved the hair.

2. miss trentini must have polaroids of anna wintour* doing it with farm animals or something. cause there is no other explanation for her appearance month after month after month in VIRTUALLY the same edit everytime. whoo! look at me! i'm jumping! wheeee!

3. daria was kind of relegated to the lesser glamour of an accessories edit and that's not cool.

4. sienna miller isn't all that. just meh.

* yes, yes, i know it's not anna who personally books the models. but there is something going on there. imo, there are so many interesting and beautiful models working today and caroline, while a very beautiful girl, is just as boring as watching paint dry.

:ninja:

Perhaps I'm alone on this but I think some of the general redundancy is very much on purpose. Especially when it comes to model selection. Earlier in the year the Vogue team handpicked picked 8 girls and since then at least one or two girls from that group has been featured in each susbsequent issue of Vogue.

Even the other girls in this issue; Daria, Gemma, Shalom, Guinevere, at one point in time they've all been Wintour-approved Vogue favorites. With the US edition there usually is a group of girls who define an era - say 10 or so models who when you look back were collectively in 95% of the editorials. Not too long ago Daria and Natalia were where Caroline is today. There was a period where you couldn't open up Vogue without seeing one of them. Remember the Gisele years? The Frankie/Carmen/Maggie Rizer/Lindvall era? Months and months of glorious Liya? Vogue plays favorites with models and I think thats one of the reasons why they showcase so few girls. They create their dream team and then they pimp them out for a few seasons until its time to create a new dream team. A very conscious effort has been made to familiarize the public with these girls. They say these are the new supermodels and they're going to push them in our faces until either we tire of them or they achieve their goal.

As frustrating as that is I enjoy the solidarity. Once a Vogue girl. Always a Vogue girl.

Though they could have used Hilary Rhoda, Stam and Raquel for goodness sakes.:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Very well said,i didnt articulate it that good.I couldnt agree more,i enjoy the "solidarity" they create aswell,but they could at least mix it up and try new things.
Vogue is all about creating exclusivity,even the famous people they feature is very narrow in its selection,and when you do get in the "Vogue Club" you are garantted their affection.Renee can wear Oscar de la Renta to at least one premiere a year and i bet you good money it will get her on their best dressed list,and assure her coverage. :innocent:

Perhaps I'm alone on this but I think some of the general redundancy is very much on purpose. Especially when it comes to model selection. Earlier in the year the Vogue team handpicked picked 8 girls and since then at least one or two girls from that group has been featured in each susbsequent issue of Vogue.

Even the other girls in this issue; Daria, Gemma, Shalom, Guinevere, at one point in time they've all been Wintour-approved Vogue favorites. With the US edition there usually is a group of girls who define an era - say 10 or so models who when you look back were collectively in 95% of the editorials. Not too long ago Daria and Natalia were where Caroline is today. There was a period where you couldn't open up Vogue without seeing one of them. Remember the Gisele years? The Frankie/Carmen/Maggie Rizer/Lindvall era? Months and months of glorious Liya? Vogue plays favorites with models and I think thats one of the reasons why they showcase so few girls. They create their dream team and then they pimp them out for a few seasons until its time to create a new dream team. A very conscious effort has been made to familiarize the public with these girls. They say these are the new supermodels and they're going to push them in our faces until either we tire of them or they achieve their goal.

As frustrating as that is I enjoy the solidarity. Once a Vogue girl. Always a Vogue girl.

Though they could have used Hilary Rhoda, Stam and Raquel for goodness sakes.:innocent:

That was so nicely put and the font is so pretty...If this were an essay, you'd get an A+. :magic: :woot: Seriously though, very well said. :flower:

:clap:It's beautiful! I love it & the ads are spectacular:woot::heart:^_^
And with all the fold out ads & inserts I don't doubt there are 727 pages of ads...even though I haven't counted:innocent::lol:

I'm so excited for this issue. :lol::buzz: Maybe cause I'm such an ad fan and the editorials look so great. :clap: :woot:

The editorials are alright. I'm not a fan of Raquels' and Cocos', as well as Caroline's... but I love the flapper-esque one. Beautiful! And Daria looks great too, even though it's not that adventurous of an ed.

I'm scanning some of the other features now:flower:

First up 8-pages on Pat McGrath:clap::woot::heart:

jssy4eva you're a sweetheart!!

Oh my goodness I see that Raquel is in this issue...my bad. Though why on earth did they have to use that unflattering black wig :ninja: oh well she's still perfect.

Cant wait to see the scans MMA!!! Thank you as always :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

very well said... I wanted to talk about Gisele and Carmen when everybody was talking about Caroline (because I remember Gisele and Carmen were Anna's fav.)... but back in those late 1990s, I looved Gisele and Carmen and Frankie and Maggie etc. so I never complained back in those days...:lol:
but I never thought about this...
They create their dream team and then they pimp them out for a few seasons until its time to create a new dream team. A very conscious effort has been made to familiarize the public with these girls. They say these are the new supermodels and they're going to push them in our faces until either we tire of them or they achieve their goal.
I like this forum, you're alone behind your computer screen... people are here to clear some stuff up... that's very good...
open my mind...

^Problem is, at least half of the girls they've chosen can't capture anyone's interest unless they've been styled to death and shot from strange angles :wink:

I agree with Luxx, but I disagree with Vogue. I don't think there should be a "dream team" because it only limits the models and subsequently Vogue magazine.

I hate the cover. But I like the eds. Love the Meisel ed. The Craig McDean is simple and nothing new but executed well (I think it´s been a long time that he shot a fashion ed for Vogue, march 05 or something?) The I&V ed is nothing special but I rmemeber David sims shooting simple boring accessories eds when he did his first Vogue US stuff.

my list is exhaustive but here is something interesting... I did only count the name... not really every items (which is more interesting actually)... + I didn't count the vintage and jewels...(though jewels are good annonceurs...)
(now can someone count the ads in the magazine for each of this label in the total?)

Caroline
Marc Jacobs : 5
Balenciaga : 1
Prada : 3
Miu Miu : 2
Versace : 1
Dries Van Noten : 1
Marni : 1
Louis Vuitton : 4
YSL : 1
Lanvin : 1
Michael Kors : 1

Shalom
Miu Miu : 2
Sportmax : 1
Marni : 2
Marc Jacobs : 1
Nina Ricci : 1
Louboutin : 1
Balenciaga : 2
Prada : 1
Roberto Cavalli : 1
Hermes : 1

Coco & Raquel
Alberta Ferreti : 1
Giles Deacon : 2
Marni : 2
Louis Vuitton : 1
Prada : 3
Miu Miu : 1
JPG : 1
Balenciga : 3
Proenza Schouler : 1
Nina Ricci : 1
Dolce & Gabbana : 1
Fendi : 1
Vera Wang : 1
Marc Jacobs : 1
Junya Watanabe CDG : 1

Sienna Miller
Alberta Ferreti : 1
Ferragamo : 1
Armani Privé (HC) : 3
Roger Vivier (HC) : 3
Ralph Lauren : 1
Nina Ricci : 2
Marchesa : 1 (no idea what it is)
Prada : 2
Tse : 1
Chanel (HC – sunglasses) : 1
Miu Miu : 1 (+ 1 men)
Gap : 1
Stephen Jones : 1
Givenchy (HC) : 1
Costumen National (men) : 1
Valentino (HC) : 1 (+ 1 men)

Paris, je t’aime (not counting the vintage items)
Vera Wang : 1
Chanel : 3
John Galliano : 3
J. Mendel : 2
Proenza Schouler : 4
Girogio Armani : 1
Caroline Herrera : 1
Rodarte : 1
Thakoon : 2
Ellen Christine Couture : 1
Oscar de la Renta : 1
Zandra Rhodes : 1