Vogue Paris November 2014 : Adriana Lima by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

There are so many talented young photographers out there ...
There was a time when fashion magazines discovered new photographers, helped them have a portfolio ... But I guess young photographers have other media, now ... There are tons of magazines where they can exercise ...

This is so true! I've been going into a lot of the smaller threads or the combined ones for Marie Claire worldwide etc. and have gone on to google a lot of photographers I hadn't heard of. Ive discovered a lot of great talent. Idk why the major magazines fixate on the same people.

If I were an editor of a major glossy. I'd hire the best stylists in the business and then have them work with a vast array of different photographers. I'd love to see Alex White teamed up with Txema Yeste or Grace Coddington work with someone like Carl Bengtsson.

A top level fashion editor would still manage to keep the level of the shoot high but the different photographers would add so much more variety.

Liz Tilberis did this best. Sorrenti, Sims, Klein, i&v, Testino all were pretty new when she gave them a spot in Bazaar and the work they produced turned out to be world class because the were teamed up with a top notch team of image makers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't know why Bensimon works in here ...
I was very glad when Carine Roitfeld brought back from the past Hans Freuer ... but Bensimon ? I would have preferred Marc Hispard (where is he now ? I guess he's retired, non ? He's been working since the 1960s ... ahah.)

+1! Bensimon is Elle forever. He is not bringing anything to VP. I really don't get the direction of VP nowadays. It is not directional anymore. The cast of models is always impressive and the result is always meh. Every month it is: jeans, L.A, St Barth, "Couture in the streets", "Rock Couture", Mert & Marcus, Testino, Luchford, Sorrenti. Vogue Paris is much more boring than Vogue US.
VP is what Elle was 15 years ago. As much i love Emmanuelle, i can't be satisfy by the mediocrity of VP.

I still don't know why Bensimon works in here ...
I was very glad when Carine Roitfeld brought back from the past Hans Freuer ... but Bensimon ? I would have preferred Marc Hispard (where is he now ? I guess he's retired, non ? He's been working since the 1960s ... ahah.)

I agree with you only because I would prefer Bensimon to remain at Vogue Australia. His work over there is much more captivating, and it feels like he's setting a tone right now for that publication.

There are so many talented young photographers out there ...
There was a time when fashion magazines discovered new photographers, helped them have a portfolio ... But I guess young photographers have other media, now ... There are tons of magazines where they can exercise ...

Agreed completely!

I could easily substitute the words 'models' and 'stylists' for photographers in your statement and have it be just as true.

It has made magazines so generic, and also so stagnant.

Review:

Beauté

"Double jeu"
Photographer: Mario Sorrenti
Stylist: Suzanne Koller
Models: Eliza Cummings, Grace Hartzel, Lexi Boling, Alisa Ahmann, Nadja Bender, Othilia Simon
12 pages

[url=http://postimg.org/image/pnfjfuprh/][/URL] [url=http://postimg.org/image/u4x467q9h/][/URL] [url=http://postimg.org/image/tyyohvl33/][/URL]
[url=http://postimg.org/image/okpevwpol/][/URL] [url=http://postimg.org/image/cpwuxqlm5/][/URL] [url=http://postimg.org/image/72qr8jel7/][/URL]
my snaps

If I were an editor of a major glossy. I'd hire the best stylists in the business and then have them work with a vast array of different photographers. I'd love to see Alex White teamed up with Txema Yeste or Grace Coddington work with someone like Carl Bengtsson.

A top level fashion editor would still manage to keep the level of the shoot high but the different photographers would add so much more variety.

Liz Tilberis did this best. Sorrenti, Sims, Klein, i&v, Testino all were pretty new when she gave them a spot in Bazaar and the work they produced turned out to be world class because the were teamed up with a top notch team of image makers.

So true, but I can see why most magazines are sticking to old hands like glue. 97% of the new photographers have absolutely nothing new to say and their work looks like a watered down version of what's come before...I think that the proliferation of magazines (both off and online) that have come with the rise of the Internet (read: the death of fashion) have also offered so many platforms to these photographers, and once you've seen hotshot X, Y, Z contribute mediocre work to outlet X, Y,Z the prospect of having a new photographer who is elusive and can produce something fresh in one of the "bibles" doesn't seem so likely.

However look at mainstream mags like Details; I adored the September issue. All of the photogs (and even stylists) who contributed were lesser-known at the very least but the quality of the work was A++ because of the art direction, casting and attention to detail. Then again menswear mags seem to have more to offer, almost by default as they have less access to the Meisels and Demarcheliers of this world.

I wonder who/which womenswear publication could take on fresh meat and really conceive a truly high-quality product and stand firmly squared up against stories by McDean, Jansson etc.

Carine pulled it off with Mark Segal for a bit and Anthony Maule was doing beautiful work when he was being pushed by Baron and Angelica Cheung during 08/09...

I agree it will be great to see new talent but then would people really embrace the change? Take tFS for example, every time a magazine has new girls on editorials people complain that they don´t use well known girls. CR Fashion Book doesn´t have "star power" photographers and people complain about it...

Thank you FrenchDelicacy for uploading snaps!!

Isabeli's editorial is beautiful! Geraldine's work is really beautiful and it perfectly translates here.

Hmm, the previews of Natasha Poly's editorial from vogue.fr got me really excited, but after seeing the entirety of it, it confused me. There's so much going on in every photo. There are shots that are messed up by the hair, some by the coats and some by both. It could have worked with a simple background but the beach adds to the mess (the backdrop also looks fake and superimposed). No doubt that Natasha saved the editorial because her face and expressions killed every shot.

Mario Sorrenti's beauty feature is okay as well. Just simple portraits of beautiful women. Nothing out of the ordinary, but still it's beautiful!

Mert & Marcus' editorial styled by Joe McKenna is a disaster. It's a lazy editorial and I'm sorry but Mariacarla added nothing to the photographs. It's as dull as a rock and the only thing that saved it are the colorful backdrops. There's no energy it's something I'd skip if I were to read this in person. I don't know what's happening with M&M but their recent work have been lazy for VP. Those colorful backdrops + mood have been used a couple of times and both produced the same dull result (Natalia's March 2012 editorial, Kate's May 2011 editorial ++) And they should have just given Mariacarla the cover just like how Raquel should've gotten the September cover.

Sasha's editorial is amazing! It's so chic and the styling is amazing! Sasha worked that editorial and killed it! I wish there was color though. It could have been more powerful with the color! Funny how the most beautiful editorial from the bunch happens to be in B&W and the rest of the sub-par editorials are in full color.

I'm torn with Karlie's editorial though. Some shots are nice and some are bad. Some shots remind me of some Hans Feurer. There is something wrong with the layout also. What on earth is up with that shot in the middle of the two pages... It's like they don't want us to see it. This framed style of layout ahas also been used to a Karlie editorial before (is she the one requesting it? kidding)

And I wanted and Adriana editorial but I guess that was too much to ask for. Disappointed with this issue though. It's not a week issue but it doesn't live up to how great the previous issue was

I can't really see every details, so I wouldn't comment upon everything ... But if there is something I have to say is: what are those sh*tty titles ?
La Pirate ? Excuse me, but Natasha in this (beyond ugly - unfortunately not trying to be ugly. i don't mind ugliness, when it is beautifully done) editorial has nothing of a pirate (modern, or not, with a yacht or not in the background)... I can't really picture a pirate wearing furs and these stupid MJ pants ... ALT's proven she's good with styling furs, so what the f is that ?

Haute Couture ? Oh what a "trouvaille" .... When you send the Couture on streets and subway, then Haute Couture becomes something different. Not that "Low Couture" would be good (on the contrary, it would be even worse)... But that is soooo easy ... and ridiculous. The editorial looks good, and I like Luchford a lot. but I would have preferred Lindbergh for this ... because they were obvs going for Lindbergh style ...
oh and I think this leather cap (even though I'm dying to find a good one these days for my Eagle nights-out) is unnecessary, but why not. I'm not the stylist, after all ...

Hors-pistes ? mmmmmmmm .... And why not "Sur les pistes" ? Isn't this good, too ? Why Vogue has to be so borderline and illegal and ridiculously outdated ? First, Hors-piste is illegal, dear, and that girl doesn't look like she's going to ski hors-piste, at all ! She's dressed like she's about to lie on a long chair, sunbathing, while the nanny is looking after the children... and the pictures tell the story of a woman who's mountain hiking (and therefore, the outfits are not the good ones!) ... I would have liked Karlie doing a "raquettes" hike, or maybe see she actually skiing (but maybe she doesn't know how to ski ? i don't know ...)
The art direction looks sooo Bensimon Elle 1980 ... And not in a good way !

Anyhoooooo. Titles are just so bad (why don't people do titles the way iD does ?? I always love their titles....) and like a 2yrs old child chose them.

In regards of McKenna+MCB+MM: this looks damn Sorrenti early years... and this is good! (here the title makes sense to me ... a bit jazzy ...)
I like what I'm seeing from Geraldine's editorial, too. She is good !

I agree it will be great to see new talent but then would people really embrace the change? Take tFS for example, every time a magazine has new girls on editorials people complain that they don´t use well known girls. CR Fashion Book doesn´t have "star power" photographers and people complain about it...

CR Fashion book is a mess. I have to reference 90s Bazaar once again. Liz first put together an A list team with Lindbergh and Demarchelier as principle photographers and then surrounded them with a crop of fresh photographers. The beauty of it was that whether it was a Lindbergh shoot or one with a new name the same amount of care and attention to detail was given to both so you still had a magazine with a singular focus speaking with authority. What I miss most about Liz is the elegance of her magazine. I can't think of a single fashion magazine today I would describe as elegant. I'm tired of edgy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->