Vogue Paris September 2018 by Mikael Jansson & Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by vogue28, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Yes to Naomi and hell no to Kate doing Monroe, yawn. Who is the third cover?

MulletProof and Benn98 like this.
  2. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

So disappointed. That Kate Moss image is hideous, it looks inspired by those God awful Marilyn Monroe's Bern Stern images, that already have been used (what hasn't?) as template for other editorials.
    Naomi's cover is slightly better, but she is just a caricature now, her image is totally sterile, i cannot get excited about anything she in.
    Hope the next cover will save the day.

JessRubik and Benn98 like this.
  3. Armani

Armani Tech Support

Last cover with Christy Turlington by Inez and Vinoodh:

4. AD011620

AD011620 Well-Known Member

I think the both covers are quite horrible... what a massive letdown so far... Christy’s cover is ok...

Benn98 likes this.
  5. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

Wow Kate’s cover is just atrocious, and Naomi is great and strong as usual, but nothing new there.

6. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

That make-up makes Christy look a bit rough, but it's the best cover by far (not that it means much).

Benn98 likes this.
  7. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Wow how can you manage to ruin Christy? HOW!!!

Benn98 likes this.
  8. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

The best cover is with Naomi ! I would have love Christy if the make up did not ruin her beautiful face and I am not into the angle.

9. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

Kate got the worst one.

10. mikel

mikel Well-Known Member

The Christy cover is okay, but nothing special. I do like the flipped ‘G’ though.

11. Valentine27

Valentine27 Well-Known Member

A big disappointment.

12. mepps

mepps Well-Known Member

The Christy cover is the worst ever, but I've never really understood her appeal.
    Naomi's cover is fine, but she can sleepwalk through that kind of shot.
    Kate's MM homage was done better by Meisel and Madonna decades ago. Nice try tho.

13. AD011620

AD011620 Well-Known Member

They already did it once with that awful red dress cover...

14. RMDV

RMDV Well-Known Member

Christy is same old same old for IV - will they give B&W studio a rest already? Although their on location stuff lately hasn't been nearly as good either...

15. phungnam96

phungnam96 Well-Known Member

all the covers, all the legends look... unflattering.

16. Perickles

Perickles Well-Known Member

I'm a little fed up with the 90's supermodels and her children being models as well.

kasper! likes this.
  17. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

^Me too 90's supermodel, how interesting. What about Carmen Dell'Orefice?:judge:

18. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

Naomi’s shot should be the only cover. She is literally shot like a living colossus— a living Empire State Building, or The Eiffel Tower. And just so much fun with the interaction with the masthead. Could be much better and stronger of course, but I’ll gladly take this over the other Vogue covers and their coverstars any time, any place.

Leave it to Emmanuelle to be the only Vogue Editor to be the last woman standing who’s true to HF.

19. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Didn't I ask for a Claudia cover????

Don't think I really like any of them. At a stretch maybe Christy's. With Kate and Naomi's covers it's probably more clearer than ever how they've been pulled through the ringer in terms of images. Immense body of work, a lot of variety too, so it's only natural to expect something special every time they step in front of the camera. But this isn't it.

I also prefer cinematic Jannson more than this one. The story he did with Eva for VP some time ago in a hotel was rather good.

Lastly, can we let these supers just, I dunno, retire quietly?? Not a season goes by without Amber/Christy/Cindy/Kate/Naomi/Eva shoved in our faces. There are so many younger models who could do with booking a VP cover.

modela likes this.
  20. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

While i don't mind seeing Amber, i totally agree with you. I think that VP more than any other Vogue has been influencial in introducing a new generation of topmodels (for me supermodels is reserved to the expected we know).
    We are close to a new decade and it's maybe time to go back to those big names during the 00's rather than always going back to the usual faces...

I don't want to see Daria and Natasha on every cover but what about Kurkova, Zimmerman (i mean considering her contribution to this magazine and to a lot of french brands, it's still annoying to believe that she doesn't have a cover yet)...etc.

The problem with Emmanuelle, even is she has a very HF approach, is that she has a very "commercial" thinking. It's great, a magazine has to survive but it takes Vogue closer to ELLE than anything else.

When she goes on "supermodels" mode, she goes for Naomi, Kate or Christy. I'm surprised she didn't went with Claudia as she was really the one who made an impact here in France.

That being said, even if compared to US and UK Vogue, this is a bit disappointing, i'm still very excited about this issue. One thing about Emmanuelle is that she is very consistent about her vision...For better or for worse, the worse being that August issue.