Who Will Succeed John Galliano At Dior? #2 *Update Raf Simons Offically Hired*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe i am being to negative at the thought of it, but Kane, i cant see him working for Dior. Menkes seems to have heard rumblings about him going to Dior as well. So it must be something going on.....

At the rate these people are going I can apply for design school, attend, graduate, do an apprenticeship, start designing on my own and then put my name in the hat.

Seriously though, IMO LVMH should just give Gaytten a one or two year contract and then if things go well offer him a longer contract or start a new search in a year or two. At this point the position of Christian Dior Creative Director, which should be considered as one of the most revered in fashion, is coming off as picked over / sloppy seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG I hope that's not true...I don't think Dior and Chris Kane would be a good fit...AT ALL!

christopher kane is a good egg with a good head on his shoulders. he is too down to earth to work at dior.

i also think dior should let gaytten do his thing for a while. the last collection was excellent.

Well, when you read Menkes' article carefully you notice that the Kane-thing wasnt based on anything particular just peoples talk. Personally, I think she was referring to older rumors (his name was also mentioned in this thread quite some time ago). Vogue uk made a whole newsstory around it. Actually she mentiones this kind of gossiping too in that article.

Christopher Kane ? *gasp*

I would be literally shocked if that happens. And I am not sure if in a good way or a bad way.

Oh GOD, what is seriously going on with this House? They need to get their s*** together. I'm sick of rumours..it's not even interesting any more. One rumour after the other..it's exhausting. Can we just get the House of Dior back on track please?

I won't accept anyone but Raf for this job. Seriously, the guy is the most talented designer around and he's "unemployed", why the hell would they go for somebody else?

Raf leaving Jil Sander HAS to mean he's moving to Dior; he's far too talented and successful. Kane is being groomed for Versace anyway, non?

I popped on to see if there was anyone a) interesting being discussed for the job; there isn't and b) whether anyone thought there was a conclusion to be soon drawn to this saga; clearly there isn't.

The faff and fiasco has totally turned me off Dior and has left the house looking shambolic. Meanwhile, they seem happy to turn out sub standard collections. What a farce!

christopher kane is a good egg with a good head on his shoulders. he is too down to earth to work at dior.

i also think dior should let gaytten do his thing for a while. the last collection was excellent.

i think i agree! i used to be desperate to see Gaytten being replaced because i just hated everything he was doing but his last couture collection was really a nice surprise, it seems that he only needed time and now i actually wouldn't mind to see him staying a little longer, but just for a while though until they get "the one".. (Theyskens?)

and i don't think that Raf left JS to go to Dior.. it was because the founder of the label wanted to come back, i think that's pretty clear
i'm honestly not too keen on Raf at Dior but he would be kinda perfect for YSL actually, even better than Hedi imo..
and please not Pilati for Dior either! that would be just a mistake, his work at YSL never convinced me :doh:

The assumption regarding Raf Simons' departure from Jil Sander has been that he was headed to Dior. Sounds logical and tidy, but here's what we're hearing. Dior indeed initiated contact and negotiations were moving along swimmingly, aided by the fact that the Belgian designer felt his time at Jil Sander had reached its natural and amicable end. In fact the two parties were close to an agreement until the last round of negotiations, when, according to our source, Simons asked for too high a salary. Dior CEO Sidney Toledano was apparently outraged, halted discussions, and signed Bill Gayten on for six more seasons.

Even if negotiations hadn't stalled, says our source, another obstacle would have been LVMH CEO Bernard Arnault, who, inexplicably, isn't sold on the idea of Simons at Dior. One possible explanation holds that he prefers Brits. Another theory is he thinks Simons' style is too dry and cerebral for Dior's opulent-minded couture clients. But while it's true he has no official couture experience, it's also true that couturiers need only provide a vision, with which the couture studio can handily create a collection.

If true, the above must be disappointing for Simons, whose eponymous line would have benefitted greatly from an LVMH infusion. We also hear he won't likely introduce womenswear into his namesake line, as has been the rumor, which means he'll probably return to focus on menswear, and that's that. Personally, we believe he would have made a brilliant creative director at Dior. He would have tangoed the house into the modern era with skill, artistry and finesse. Plus, with him there is no chance of a scandal—sex, drug, Nazi-related or otherwise.

hintmag

Christopher Kane would be perfect for Dior.

Dior is really becoming a brand that I hate... all of this unnecessary drama is quite foolish

I think its time for some of the CEO's to leave and get people in with a modern and new bussiness persective for the brand.Sidney and Bernard are responsible for the state of Dior.Dior has become uninspiring / gimmicky / celebrity focused and simply stale.They rely too heavenly on styling ( unfortunatly we could say the same about a majority of fashion today)It seems to me that the heads at Dior want the designer to do as they say.All the money they spend on celebrities , but simply refuse to give a top designer a good salary Gatchett is the lowrated version of the lowrated version of Galliano.Christopher has no vision and keeps bringing out the same type of collections.He is an absolute lightweight.They only have themselves to blame for Dior's demise.

^What do you mean "Dior's demise" :huh: ? Business-wise, Dior is doing perfectly well. They made profit under Gaytten and that's what matters. In the end, the customers keep fashion houses alive. As long as there will be people to buy what Dior offers, everything will be alright. I'm not sure those thousands of Asians and Saudi-Arabians customers give a damn about who's the head designer of Dior! They buy Dior because of what it represents (hence the amount of money spent on celebrities/marketing etc).

I think fashion lovers should calm down and put things in perspective before claiming that Dior is dead and blablabla. Dior isn't dead as long as it keeps making profit. And that's exactly what it does. If Gaytten's work meets the customers' expectations and if the cash still gets in, then let's keep him.

Dior will keep on making profit as long as they keep selling those perfumes and cosmetic products. I don't think the financial situation of the house is a point of discussion. Dior is one of the most legendary fashion houses in the world that should lead in terms of creativity and innovation. And it's not doing that right now. Galliano was fired for discrediting the image of the house, not because sales went down. That piece of credibility that is connected to the house has to be fixed. Gaytten for another 6 seasons? I doubt that will do the trick.

I would love Christopher Kane to give it a go.

i agree that Dior is not dead if it keeps selling and also because Gaytten has shown some improvement..
but i dont think the people at Dior are just settling with that otherwise they wouldn't even have bothered to look for designers,
Dior is one of the biggest fashion brands and they have a reputation to keep, i don't think they want to become a random brand that is commercially successful, they probably want to create buzz too and amaze people or at least the critics..

so, according to tarsha's post Gaytten supposedly signed for 6 more seasons!:shock:
i know i said i wouldn't mind that he stays longer but 3 years is too much!!:o
i guess it's nothing official though, as usual :unsure:

Dior will keep on making profit as long as they keep selling those perfumes and cosmetic products. I don't think the financial situation of the house is a point of discussion. Dior is one of the most legendary fashion houses in the world that should lead in terms of creativity and innovation. And it's not doing that right now. Galliano was fired for discrediting the image of the house, not because sales went down. That piece of credibility that is connected to the house has to be fixed. Gaytten for another 6 seasons? I doubt that will do the trick.

I would love Christopher Kane to give it a go.

I remember reading that they did really good in the ready-to-wear and the leather goods, hence why I mentioned it. The financial situation is always a nice bell to ring when some start going crazy stating that Dior is dead or that it should close down until they get a "proper" designer etc (the latter being one of the stupidest things I've ever heard).

Once again, that creativity point is an honorable thing to mention but I'm not sure it matters that much in the end. I wouldn't say that Gaytten doesn't have any, he's just very commercial. And that may appeal to the customers, maybe more than Galliano's work. Times have changed and people are led to more "conservative" or safe choices. I believe Gaytten brings that.

I disagree with you when you say that it should lead in terms of innovation. Why should it? It should lead in terms of representing a certain kind of luxury, a certain kind of savoir faire. And that's what it does.

Finally, is it sad that those who like fashion doesn't find with Gaytten the excitement they had with Galliano? Yes. But let's stop acting as if that poor guy was the worst designer fashion has ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->