The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
@YonianahAliza: Thanks for your view on American Apparel. Looks like I might have to find another brand, sigh. I think it is SO difficult to find the perfect striped shirt. You wouldn't have seen one, would you, since you like striped shirts as well? (not sure if we can shop at the same places though, do not know where to shop when living on Hogwarts - love it :wink:)

Regarding the JCs I really feel like keeping them, even though it is not the most sensible purchase. But they make me feel great, and that IS important.

If I were you I would get rid of everything that you do not love and do not wear. I've done a major purge, and I think I remove at least 2 pieces from my wardrobe every month still, because I have so many things that are "ok". I do not want "ok" - I want perfect. Because I'm worth it :wink: I sell everything that can be sold on a danish site called Trendsales (a bit like ebay, but not with auctions). If you are going to do that you need patience and time to take pictures on the clothes (preferably ON you), take meassurements, answer questions etc. Compared to the time you have to put in to it you are not going to earn tons of money doing it, especially if you are selling higstreet brands, but I do have the time, and that is how I earn money to buy the clothes that I want. One month I earned 380 dollars by selling my old clothes. (half of it was stuff at a mid price point, the other half was highstreet stuff), so it can be a good idea.

Even if you can not sell it, I would get rid of it, cause having a lot of close that you do not wear can make you feel like you have nothing to wear.

Betinapple, I completely agree with you about finding the perfect striped shirt. But since you are in Denmark and I'm in the states (although I wish I was at Hogwarts :wink:) it may be hard to find stores that we both can shop at. Although, you might want to try ASOS's I've seen a few good stripe shirts on the site before. Also, not sure if ModCloth ships to Denmark but I saw some really gorgeous stripe shirts on the site.
Like this one;
4120b4af16602ba7c522de8f6936e407.jpg

ModCloth.com

Also, thanks for the advice. I really do need to purge my wardrobe because I've had some of these clothes for years. And they just don't fit my current style or who I am. I think I'll try and sell some of them but I also know some younger girls who might like some new clothes too. So I'll see if they want them as well. I hate the feeling of having no clothes even with a full closet. It's not a pleasant feeling and only makes deciding what to wear so much harder. So closet purge... here I come! ^_^

@Yoninah: thx for the tips :smile: I'm looking for a fitted one though.

Have fun with the closet purge - you will feel so good afterwards :smile:

barneys

unminuit, looks like a good plan. The only thing that strikes me looking at your list is that it's very short on casual clothes/slacks/jeans ... is that going to work for you? Personally I have to have a pair of black pants ... It's great that you sew.

Betinapple, I agree it's really unfortunate about American Apparel ... just reading about the guy who runs the company makes you want to take a shower :yuk: Nothing is perfect your first time out ... it's all a learning process. And now you know about shoe polish :wink:

Here's the Lanvin piece I was talking about ... it is now in my hot little hands. The fit is absolutely perfect. The color is called prune ... I would call it aubergine. I tried it on with a Rick Owens long sleeved black top, and it will work to layer it ... just have to find the right neckline. Haven't had a chance to try it on with any of my stuff yet.

Attachments

• Lanvin top.jpg
    Lanvin top.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1
@Ta-ta: thx for your input too. I think I'm going to find another brand :wink: It is rediculous how difficult it is to find a simple striped tee in a nice quality. Sigh.

The Lanvin shirt looks really great. Would be perfect with a pencilskirt.

Lovely piece, Fashionista-ta! Looks so luxurious!

Betinapple: I have to great striped tees, both from APC. Love them because they are very "no fuss" and look like the essence of a striped tee. I will keep on shopping such casual basics at APC, I think.

Color schemes: I used to love ALL colors :D As long as they aren't pastels but strong and bold. I try to limit myself more now but I think I simply can't leave with only basic colors and one stronger color. I wonder whether varying your color schemes in winter and summer would be an option? I'm thinking of

Black, navy and camel as support colors and red as a statement color in summer

and

Black, navy and brown as support colors and mustard yellow plus sea blue as statement colors in winter.

What do you think? Do you vary colors in winter and summer?

@Red&Navy: thx! Do you know if you can buy APC online?

I think your colour schemes look good. I do not know if the concept you are talking about will work though. This is the first time I've tried to make a colour scheme. I do not have a summer wardrobe and a winter wardrobe. I use most items all year round, so I also tend to use the same colour. Untill recently my wardrobe was mostly black/white/grey and red, but now I have more coloured items (purple, pink and yellow and rose). I still mostly use colours on accesories (scarves, nailpolish, tights and shoes) since it make it easy to change your colourscheme.

Hmmmm--- you might be right. My summer and winter wardrobe might not be "separated" enough.

I love red. I think it makes me look great. And I also love sea blue/turquoise because it's a great color on days when I don't feel like the lady in red. When I see mustard yellow my heart beats :heart: Plus I always get compliments when wearing green, which I didn't even list on here now. What should I do???? :blink:

APC: seems to redo their site right now. But I think you can buy them online. I know Net-a-porter has them but right now I don't think they sell any striped tees there. I bought mine on net-a-porter, haven't tried their online store yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
^yay, I found out :smile: I'll have to generate som patience, sigh.

Regarding the colours, I wouldn't do different colour schemes for SS and AW if your wardrobe isn't "seperated". I would work out a colour scheme that works for both seasons or buy the things I only use for winter (boots, hats, mittens, big scarves) in the winter colours and the things I only use for summer (sandals, summerdresses, if you have summer AND winter dresses, i generally don't, summerhats etc.) in the summer colours.

Else I would do the colours by using accesories.

I think I can limit myself with the basic colors and I have been trying to buy more clothes (especially tops and sweaters) in basic colors. Lately I have a strong love for colored shoes though :-)

I guess I want to keep both red and sea blue/turquoise in my wardrobe but they don't work too well together. However, I see mustard yellow working with both. Maybe I could keep these three as my statement colors and try to stay away from green. I do have some things that I only wear in summer or only in winter. I think I could also try to buy things like dresses in statement colors cause I don't need to match them with much. I always have a nice pair of black pumps and a good handbag to go with them :-)

I think I can limit myself with the basic colors and I have been trying to buy more clothes (especially tops and sweaters) in basic colors. Lately I have a strong love for colored shoes though :-)

I guess I want to keep both red and sea blue/turquoise in my wardrobe but they don't work too well together. However, I see mustard yellow working with both. Maybe I could keep these three as my statement colors and try to stay away from green. I do have some things that I only wear in summer or only in winter. I think I could also try to buy things like dresses in statement colors cause I don't need to match them with much. I always have a nice pair of black pumps and a good handbag to go with them :-)

That sounds like a great idea. And coloured shoes are great. I love special shoes. Didn't you get the Acne Pistols in mustard? :smile:

That sounds like a great idea. And coloured shoes are great. I love special shoes. Didn't you get the Acne Pistols in mustard? :smile:

Yes, they are my love and the only reason why I wish the now lovely weather would go away again!! :smile: I think they look lovely with my jeans and a turqoise silk top that I own. And with navy cashmere turtle neck. And a lot of other pieces. I especially love them with my more lady like pieces cause they make them look cooler.

I think I'll really try that now: Either stay with basic colors or red, seablue and mustard yellow. Right now I'm throwing everything off my wish list that doesn't really follow the rules, even if I love it. I guess staying focused makes your wardrobe become what you actually wanted. :flower:

Yes, they are my love and the only reason why I wish the now lovely weather would go away again!! :smile: I think they look lovely with my jeans and a turqoise silk top that I own. And with navy cashmere turtle neck. And a lot of other pieces. I especially love them with my more lady like pieces cause they make them look cooler.

I think I'll really try that now: Either stay with basic colors or red, seablue and mustard yellow. Right now I'm throwing everything off my wish list that doesn't really follow the rules, even if I love it. I guess staying focused makes your wardrobe become what you actually wanted. :flower:

And they ARE gorgeus. I think staying focussed is really important, but sooo hard, when you find something that you suddenly love and cannot live without.

And they ARE gorgeus. I think staying focussed is really important, but sooo hard, when you find something that you suddenly love and cannot live without.

Yes, it IS hard! There are SO many great options out there... But all the really stylish women I know are very focused and remain true to their key style. I'm still so far from that though... But I think I'm on a good way. I have improved a lot during the last two years and I think in ten years my wardrobe could be focused :rolleyes::D

Yes, it IS hard! There are SO many great options out there... But all the really stylish women I know are very focused and remain true to their key style. I'm still so far from that though... But I think I'm on a good way. I have improved a lot during the last two years and I think in ten years my wardrobe could be focused :rolleyes::D

Light at the end of the tunnel :wink: I know my style. It is feminine and retroinspired. Even though I know my style, I do not wan't it to limit me, so if I find something that doesn't scream me, I will buy it anyway, if I love it and it goes with what I have in my wardrobe. The glitter JC isn't a typical me shoe, but I love them and most importantly, I feel wonderfull in them - and they go with a lot of my outfits, and that is why they're mine even though they're not my key style. Kind of like your pistols they ad something different to my style. I think it can be kind of boring unpersonal if you focus too much on having ONE particular style and sticking to it. As long as the main core stays the same, I think you're good :smile:

Yes, I know what you mean. But I think for now it's important for me to really develop that core. To stay very focused for maybe two to three seasons and then try how I can variate it. Of course, that won't keep me from buying some cool shoes ^_^

OH, and a huge THANK YOU for your support, it was good to talk about those color issues!

Yes, I know what you mean. But I think for now it's important for me to really develop that core. To stay very focused for maybe two to three seasons and then try how I can variate it. Of course, that won't keep me from buying some cool shoes ^_^

OH, and a huge THANK YOU for your support, it was good to talk about those color issues!

Happy to help :flower: It's a big help for me as well, since I'm new into the whole planning thing.

If you're not that familiar with your core yet I think it is a great idea to work on it - AND buy cool shoes B)

I think I know what I like now. Simply cut solid pieces in vibrant colors in luxurious materials. I think I'm something between classic and preppy.

If I'd try to write down some rules:
- Simple cuts with no fuss close to my tiny body.
- Beautifully rich colors like - hehe - red, mustard yellow and seablue
- Gold rather than silver
- Fun accents with cool shoes (maybe an animal print shoe in the future?)
- For supporting colors less black, more navy and camel
- No skirts. Dresses and pants make me look better than skirts.
- Very careful with prints. I like stripes, polkadots and very repetitive graphic prints but should stay away from big scale prints, letters and florals.
- Careful with anything too casual or too "cool" (unless it's a pair of Acne pistols, hehe). I'm not a cool kid ^_^
- I don't need no white shirt :P
- Miu miu accessories are the coolest when it comes to making my rather classic wardrobe more fun.

Does that make sense?

The thing is that for many years I didn't really now my core and maybe 50% of my rather small wardrobe don't really fit in. I think I'll need patience until I come to the point that I want but since I've improved a lot I'm confident that we're slowly getting there.......

^ Yes, that sounds very focused :wink:

As far as color, I think you can take this approach and have quite a lot of different colors in your wardrobe. I like to pick a main color scheme for each season. There are a bunch of reasons for that ... 1) It creates change and variation. Even though I'm going to be wearing a lot of the same things I did last year, it creates a new focal point. 2) It helps ensure that what I'm buying plays well with the rest of my wardrobe. You're create a seasonal, capsule wardrobe of things that work well together, and they're bound to work with other things you have as well. 3) I look at popular colors for the season when making my decision, but choosing the color scheme makes me the driver, rather than being at the mercy of trends. 4) Over time as you return again to the same color schemes, you create layers in your wardrobe if that makes sense. I've been buying shades of lavender/plum/purple/aubergine for many years now, and it kind of creates a richness when you pull the plum bag from 2 years ago + last year's eyeshadow + this year's blouse.

PS Thanks, RedandNavy and Betinapple :flower:

Fashionista-ta: Thank you very much for your input! I do have some basic v-neck t-shirts which I didn't think worth mentioning, as well as a flannel shirt and sequined sweatshirt; things I consider at-home clothes. I wear them after getting home from work or school, to do housework or play board games, cook, read, etc.

I'm of the mind that anything done in pants may be done in a skirt, based on the fact that women have been doing just that for thousands of years! I nearly always wear a fuller silhouette to accommodate my bike (and look pretty!).

RedandNavy: I think we're very similar, you and I! I like your list of rules, which seems like it'll make for a lovely, cohesive set of clothes.

Betinapple: Your color scheme is perfect! The teal of your scarf is my exact favorite color!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->