The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting for sales in January to finish up my shopping. I need to finish the grand overhaul of my closet and really work on refining my style before I buy any more stuff.

I did splurge on Black Friday, though, when I found cashmere scarves for 2 for $20. I got a lovely light gray that will go with everything and a black, gray, and purple plaid that goes with at least half my closet.

I'm also starting to think about Spring. I know a lot of people have colors/themes for different seasons, and I've been trying to figure out if I even have any discernible style before I make any plans. I've still got such a hodge podge of stuff from when I just went on buying sprees that I'm trying to hold back a bit this year.

I've still managed to be restrained, in the last few months I've brought a black cropped jacket, black ankle boots (I've been looking for the right ones for around a year now) and an absolutely amazing 'statement' shoes that I wanted to buy over the summer but didn't before they went out of stock and scored a few weeks ago on eBay for half price!
I have also brought alot of tights, but I've made a little rule where I can buy as many pairs of tights as I like, in order to give me my little shopping fix inexpensively - plus tights are really useful for changing up outfits.

I there is just very little around at the moment that I like, rather than my self restrain being super strong. I do need a new winter coat, although I may wait until the January sales. And a thin brown belt, plus I am still searching for the perfect oversized clutch. I might start doing my s/s shopping soon too.

^ I think we need a picture of those statement shoes!!

I have a fair number of tights too ... but they all do fit in the bin I have for them :P It's nice not to have to launder them all the time, and have a variety to choose from. Since we don't have that much of a winter here, I get several years' use from mine. (Unless the dogs chew on them ... in that case sometimes I never get to wear them out of the house :o My foster dog is a big fan, so I'm learning to be very careful where I leave them :doh:)

Yes, I like shopping resort for spring, especially since it can start getting warm here mid-February. Resort is really the only way to have something new to wear at that moment :wink:

^^ heehee, I'm a huge fan of tights as well. I love Calzedonia, they make fun ones and nice basics in loads of colors.

I've been mulling the idea of a restricted color palette, and I wasn't sure if I should post about it here, or in the minimalist thread. I've heard a few members post how they'll do a certain palette for a season, or even year round, they only wear certain shades.

I'm still sorting through years of impulse buying. My closet is still exploding with a rainbow of colors, and some iffy prints.

So basically, I was curious how many people restrict their palette? Do you allow small deviations, or is it very strict? Was this something you fell into with your purchases, or a deliberate choice? How do you choose which colors, and do you ever tire of them? How do you keep it fresh?

I'm debating trying this for S/S, especially since I have another huge overhaul of my closet planned. I think it would be nice to finally get to a place where everything actually hangs together like it should, and I don't keep feeling like I have to buy more because only half of it really works.

i bought a pair of sandals, a perforated leather skirt and a dress. i think i am done until spring/summer.
i think i do shop like french except i don't look like one at all. :P

ATM1985: I dont know how restricted my palette is, but I do gravitate towards certain colors only, that is neutral (black, charcoal, navy, beige) with bright red (and very very occasionally peacock green) as accent. those colors look best on me, IMHO, so I'd better stick with it.

Now am in trouble. I really want pop-of-color bag, but I keep on gravitating towards red (and I already have red ones that I love to death!). Do you all think gold could be a good pop-of-color? Is it flexible and neutral enough? I live in tropical city, BTW....

ATM1985: I dont know how restricted my palette is, but I do gravitate towards certain colors only, that is neutral (black, charcoal, navy, beige) with bright red (and very very occasionally peacock green) as accent. those colors look best on me, IMHO, so I'd better stick with it.

Now am in trouble. I really want pop-of-color bag, but I keep on gravitating towards red (and I already have red ones that I love to death!). Do you all think gold could be a good pop-of-color? Is it flexible and neutral enough? I live in tropical city, BTW....

Do you mean metallic or yellow? I think either could work :wink:

ATM, I suppose I do and don't restrict color in my wardrobe ...

I buy all the colors I want to buy, but they tend to be particular ones that I really like ... coral, red, purple are all prominent in my wardrobe. But I do typically choose to focus on a particular color or pair of colors in a given season.

ATM1985 - Thanks to fashionista-ta's advice on another forum, I'm trying to have a specific color scheme this season. Trying to do yellow with neutrals (preferably gray). We'll see how that goes, though. :smile: If it doesn't work out so well this season, maybe I can try again next season.

^ That sounds like it should work well ... of course all brights pop really well against black (the obvious choice, but so reliable :wink:). If you're looking for a secondary accent color, royal blue or bright navy might be a good one ...

ATM, I hadn't set out to restrict my color palette, but that's happened mostly as a result of becoming more attuned to what colors I feel good in (not necessarily what colors look good on me, though).

I have, however, limited my purchases of patterned pieces. I have found patterns to be very hard to coordinate.

Most of my clothes are white, grey, brown or otherwise "tonal." I don't really like bright colors, so everything is subdued. I think it would be nice to have a signature color that pops, but I haven't settled on one.

^ That sounds like it should work well ... of course all brights pop really well against black (the obvious choice, but so reliable :wink:). If you're looking for a secondary accent color, royal blue or bright navy might be a good one ...

What do you think of purple? It's my favorite color, but I suppose the reason I feel strange combining it with yellow is that purple & gold were my high school's colors. :rolleyes:

I haven't been shopping very much (at all), and with the weather getting colder I find I have significantly less options!

Here are some things I'm looking for in the next few months:

A Parka:
usarmym65fishtailparka.jpg

http://skelemitz.wordpress.com/

Ankle Boots:
filimz8v1.jpg

http://www.splendicity.com/

Riding Boots
adboots2le5.png

http://www.clandestinechic.com/

A 'Day' Dress
64929inl.jpg

http://www.net-a-porter.com/

A Sweater
defaultdz.jpg

http://www.lagarconne.com/

What do you think of purple? It's my favorite color, but I suppose the reason I feel strange combining it with yellow is that purple & gold were my high school's colors. :rolleyes:

Well, I love purple, and it's fairly hot right now, so nice and easy to find. They are complementary--opposite each other on the color wheel. If you can get past the school colors, why not? :wink:

My school colors in college were purple and white ... I have purple and ivory in my living room, and people take it for school patriotism as I live in the same city as my alma mater :P It's not, but people can take it however they like :lol:

timber, I love that... And all of it seems very versatile as well.. :heart:
- I was going to say that I especially love the parka and the ankle boots, but then I realised that I was about to continue and mention everything.. So I think I'll just keep quiet. :innocent: :wub:

timber, I love that... And all of it seems very versatile as well.. :heart:
- I was going to say that I especially love the parka and the ankle boots, but then I realised that I was about to continue and mention everything.. So I think I'll just keep quiet. :innocent: :wub:

Thank you! :D

Now comes the hard part - either saving the money to buy the pieces, or finding more affordable versions. (This is especially true with the dress, which I definitely can't afford at $1200!)

My school colors in college were purple and white ... I have purple and ivory in my living room, and people take it for school patriotism as I live in the same city as my alma mater :P It's not, but people can take it however they like :lol:

I still live in the same town as my high school, too, so sometimes I do get weird comments. Or people think I still go there (even though I'm 24!!), haha. But oh, purple & ivory do sound very lovely.

ta ta: i mean gold as in metallic. is it versatile enough?

on the other ahnd, i stick to black and tan for my shoes :P

yellow and grey sounds so interesting. unusual but classy :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I think it would be ... I don't think I've ever had a metallic bag, but I've had metallic shoes, and they've all been great neutrals. I had a pair of gold ballets that had a square 'toe shoe' box that I just loved :heart:

I know some of you have mentioned that you have inspirational bulletin boards or notebooks. I'd love to see some photos as I'm just starting a Moleskine for that.

What I really want to do is go through my clothes & try to wear what I always wear in new combinations. But before I do that I'm looking at other people who have wardrobes I admire & making collages for inspiration. I don't know if it's allowed to post someone else's stuff on here, so I'll just post links instead. This is from a flickr account I follow.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2705/4153351225_9e0b4df617.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2587/4154106530_b3d8e189b7.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2491/4153344125_314e1713a7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back