The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am definitely learning some self restraint when it comes to buying things I love but are totally impractical or I would never wear. I saw an amazing jacket - it was so beautiful my heart actually started beating double speed (Yes, I am weird) - last week, tried it on and it looked really lovely, but then I realised I would never wear it and didn't even think twice about not buying it. I still think I am a long way from being able to buy only 4-5 things per season, but baby steps!

I haven't been shopping in so long which is great except for a large cashmere shawl which seems to add a new dimension.

^ :clap: Good for both of you!

I'm planning for these shoes to be my last item for fall. I really needed them ... my issue is that I live in a primarily warm climate, so for most of the year I wear my ballet flats with bare feet. Even with tights, with the cold weather my feet are smaller and won't stay in the shoes. So these are meant to be my flats for the season ... I haven't come across anything else that isn't working yet ... we'll see.

I really love the bag Sofia Coppola designed for LV, but it's too expensive with ~2500€.

So now I found this one by Mulberry which comes close to the LV one, but isn't perfect:
http://www.mulberry.com/#/storefront/c5618/2142/category/

do you think I should go for the Mulberry one?
or do you know another bag that looks similar to the LV?

source: fashionphile.com

laurette- I find the Want Les Essentiels De La Vie bags have a similar look:

http://www.openingceremony.us/products.asp?menuid=2&subcatid=24&productid=8912&cn=menu2

and

http://www.openingceremony.us/products.asp?menuid=2&subcatid=24&productid=8915&cn=menu2

I think these two are rather appropriate inspiration for this style 'philosophy'..
Both are from Cheap Chic, a brilliant style guide published in 1975.
The only style guide worth its name, in my opinion.. The quote is from an interview with Diana Vreeland.

spr018.jpg

spr026.jpg

my pictures

OMG, I'm cracking up at myself. I jsut knew this seemed familiar :smile: I checked my user account and sure enough back in 2007 (on page 30) I did post up a bunch of great quotes from my own copy of Cheap Chic.

I really need to check in here more often....this thread has gotten uhh... HUGE. Love it :smile:

You're so welcome.....I hope it came across that the quotes are on page 30 of this thread..I was dead tired when I posted last night.

thanks for sharing...I should keep reminding myself that clothes come second from time to time

Laurette, that LV bag reminds me of the Mulberry Mitsy Tote.

My friend has it in black and it's gorgeous, you can use it as a tote or you can tuck the handles in and zip it up and it becomes a hobo bag with a shoulder strap. So versatile and soft.

Speaking of bags, I just purchased a Boyy Slash bag. I saw it and just had to have it. I think it will be perfect for winter as I can use it as a shoulder bag but it also transforms into an oversized cluth. The python flap is also reversible, so it can be completely black. I am in love!

boyy3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is still one of my favourite threads on TFS. I wish it moved faster! Recently, I've cleaned out my closet of a lot of 'basics' that I never wore and some old sweaters so getting dressed has actually gotten a lot easier as I see everything that I wear regularly right in front of me.

For Fall/Winter:
- I've picked up a pair of beautiful leather boots from Frye that go so well with my closet. They wear so well with leggings and jeans and they're perfect for the Canadian Fall/Winter (before the snow hits)
- I also purchased a leather jacket which I will be able to keep for years as its a fairly basic cut
Looking for:
- I want to get a very nicely cut peacoat in black or grey. I'm not sure if I want one that hits just above the knee or one that hits below the hips. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I'm probably looking for one in the $300 price range. If anyone is from Canada here, I feel like my best bet might be Aritzia, but I just dislike how everyone seems to have the same ones. However, their jackets are cut so nicely and always fit really well for my body shape.
- I'm also looking for a blazer. I haven't narrowed down what type of blazer I'm exactly looking for but I think I would like a grey one. I'm kind of new to this whole blazer territory so I don't really know what to look for. I think I'm going to pass on the defined shoulders for now as I don't have a single blazer in my closet and need one to fill a 'gap'.
- Finally, I'm looking for a dark grey cashmere v-neck sweater. I think I'm going to see if Club Monaco has anything. I'm looking for one that will be great with jeans or with a leather skirt and tights - something along those lines.

I have one thing in mind for spring already - a trench coat!

^ I haven't posted lately because I am done shopping :wink: I had to exchange my shoes for the next size up, but now I'm set ^_^ But I want to hear what everyone else is doing :woot:

I would go ahead & get the coat that works well for your body type, and then find a way to accessorize it that makes you stand out from the crowd ... a really great & different scarf, or a cool brooch ...

Lilliputty I LOVE that bag!

and I just want to say I love this thread, I always refer to it to remind myself its not about quantity but quality.

I'm also done shopping for this FW.

My biggest buy was this jacket/coat from Isabel Marant: a great versatile piece.

00200m.jpg

(pic from odessa boutique)

I've also added to my wardrobe:

Outerwear:
  • 1 black parka from H&M (didn't own one)
  • a light grey, almost white cozy mohair little jacket to add some funky twist (Zara).
4 trousers, tweed shorts all from Zara

1 knit dress with built-in scarf & a grey mini skirt from COS

I stocked up on decent knitwear which lacked the most:
  • black cashmere from COS,
  • Rodarte-like from H&M,
  • Marant sweat material grey one,
  • Vanessa Bruno cardi
3 blouses from Zara, COS and H&M

As for shoes: I bought taupe boots, mocassins (from French highstreet) and those No.6 shearling boots

no6boots.jpg

(lagarçonne)

I'd love to add a new bag but that's not necessary at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I agree, it's all wonderful. You sound very organized, I need to get like that. :smile:

I just got (as a present, woohoo!) a pair of low-heeled boots that I've been wanting to get for a while, to replace my (very) old pair. These are darker and shorter, but I love them! <3 Hehehe, I think I'm done with my shopping now. I have a pair of jeans and a shirt coming in the mail, and with that I'm done...Unless I find THE perfect/casual black dress, but I've been looking for one for sooo long : /

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->