Carine Roitfeld leaves Vogue Paris *Update* Emmanuelle Alt named new Editor-in-Chief

I also find it very disheartening that Wintour is constantly thrown about as a cautionary tale of "staying too long". American Vogue to me is currently has the freshest casting, content, and articles. http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f63/carine-roitfeld-leaves-vogue-paris-119171-13.html#ixzz18ZpCnoxB
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f63/carine-roitfeld-leaves-vogue-paris-119171-13.html#ixzz18ZpCnoxB

I agree. I know it's popular on TFS to think VP is the end all be all and that all American magazines suck but for the past year or so US Vogue has had more variety and better content and editorials. I feel Carine's work is overrated. It's nice that she made cigarettes and nudity standard in editorials but it became so repetitive that it was almost a cliche in her latter years. Also to me it seems she and her team became "celebrities" and were promoting themselves and their designer favorites at the expense of objectivity.

I guess I'm saying don't let the door hit you on the way out Carine. Hope the new editor can inject something fresh and new into VP.

Well if that`s the case (her being fired), SHAME ON YOU Conde Nast! Prove them wrong Carine.

Here is Trendland's take on the whole thing.:unsure:

trendland.net

Wow. This certainly would explain her abrupt departure. How petty and ridiculous! If this is the real reason, which it quite possibly is considering the quick manner of the situation, then I can't help but be disgusted. Snipping the life support of the most influential fashion magazine in the world over one issue? :sick:

I think it's unfair to just dismiss Carine like a bad employee, she really managed to transform VP into something more exciting. I mean the magazine is in French yet I buy it just because the photographs were so good (even though I dislike Terry Richardson). To me that's quite admirable. Sometimes I wonder if a French speaker would do the same for American Vogue.

And I think it's time people laid off Anna W. US Vogue's content might not be the most fun-filled, but it's a fashion magazine and I recognize it as just that. I get the feeling people pick on Anna W because she's "mean" and "cold" and "bitchy", not because of her actual work. Carine was cool, but it kinda got to the point where her coolness was overshadowing her work.

Our inside sources in Paris have leeked some information about Carine’s departure from French Vogue, and though she may be pursing personal interests it seems her exit was not all that voluntary. Our sources have revealed that she was fired as a cause of not complying with a request from LVMH group for the December issue. Apparently LVMH wanted a full issue takeover for December but Carine preferred collaborating with friend and long time collaborator Tom Ford. So it seems LVMH boss gave Conde Nast boss a call and an ultimatum, her or us…OUCH!!!!! Though our source is quite reliable we are still treating this as speculation and will let you know as soon as something concrete is confirmed.

honetly I prefer this explanation. and somehow I would actually see a whole LVMH issue rather than that trashy ford mishap. no wonder they're angry at her...

trendland.net

Stuff like this was BOUND to surface. It sounds reasonable but I'm still suspicious. Is LVMH really that cruel? I mean Carine has done them favours in the past and just because of one stuff-up she gets the chop? Sounds kinda farfetched.
Or am I stupid and don't know that Carine and LVMH are worst enemies? lol

trendland.net
:o

Anyone familiar with the site? is it credible?
It is a fairly established fashion (and other stuff) blog. My knee jerk reaction is that the blogger is not lying / spinning, but the person speaking to the blogger is possibly spinning. I find it hard to completely believe that a holding company, if only for PR purposes, would demand that an editor, dedicate an issue exclusively to its fashion lines and then would go as far as demand that the editor be fired for not complying, BUT I do believe that a holding company would have a problem with an issue that features little or none of their fashion lines, yet heavily features another design house because that is tantamount to them funding a lookbook of what may become a future rival.

ETA:
For those with the issue, what other designers were featured? I know that it has a lot of accessories. Did LVMH have its same level of ads?

ETA2:
The :evil: in me is :clap: over the possible drama!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of the day magazines are a business.VP circulation seems really small for such an esteemed publication (150,000?). Maybe the owners felt it was time to get someone in who could appeal to more readers and further increase circulation.

At the end of the day magazines are a business.VP circulation seems really small for such an esteemed publication (150,000?). Maybe the owners felt it was time to get someone in who could appeal to more readers and further increase circulation.

totally agree with you. and december is the GOLD month of they year, when everybody shops gifts etc... I feel that the ford issue was a real let down on both sides.

At the end of the day I wouldn't discount this as what happened. I mean... this is the fashion industry. And to be honest, I wouldn't fault LVMH nor Conde Nast. As I've stated before i think Carine is a great stylist and a good editor but I'm just not sure she does numbers well and although we may love Vogue Paris for the editorial content... at the end of the day we represent a small percentage of the population and there aren't many people like us that aren't on here. I don't think that our support for VP is indicative of the world at large. For example, none of my friends outside of fashion even know there's a Parisian version of Vogue.

EDIT:bwahaha loladonna and I said the same thing at the same time!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I still wonder if Anna W had something to do with it. Would she have enough power to influence those kinds of decisions?

For those of you who think Emmanuelle Alt will take over, I just really don't see it happening. If anything, Emmanuelle will leave the magazine and pursue her consulting jobs on a more full-time scale. I have a feeling that the magazine will go through a full revamp under a totally different new team, which makes me physically ill to think about but will probably be the outcome in the end.

^ i don't think so, what motives would she have,.. even though she's clearly the most influential editor in fashion today and has power and connections, but if that would be true i find it to be cruel.:doh:

wasn't the calendar for 2011 with Daria Werbowy sponsored by LV jewellery?

Lol well Anna could've pushed LVMH to push Carine cuz Anna knew she wouldn't do it... that would be too much though right?? who knows bwahahha.

Out of all the candidates that have been thrown into the pile of possible successors, I really don't think many of them are likely. Virgine Mouzat is the front-runner in my opinion. From what I have read in the past, she has been eyeing the position for a long while, and I could totally see her fighting tooth over nail for it. Furthermore, I really don't see a man or a non-French person taking the position, which disqualifies Fabien Baron, Stephen Gan and Aliona Doletskaya, all strong candidates. In the end, the possibilities are endless, though, so who knows who will become the next editor-in-chief of Vogue Paris and what their team will look like.

We just need to keep in mind that this decision was abrupt and they need to find the best candidate in the quickest amount of time.

Didn't something go down a while back and there were no LV ads in one of the Vogue September issues? I don't know if that was an LV thing or an LVMH thing.

I'm half and half. Yes it is a sad and I'll miss her but I'm kind of looking forward to a change. I haven't really enjoyed VP this year. Dec/Jan issue was awful.

Carine working with Tom would be awesome. I hope we still see her around fashion week time. I will miss outfit opportunities. Also I wouldn't be suprised either if Emmanuelle left too.

I also hope that whoever replaces her is someone within the fashion industry who has worked on magazines, paid their dues and actually deserves the postion and not some socialite or hack who doesn't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miumeow
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->