Christian Dior Haute Couture F/W 2018.19 Paris

The nude colour collection is nice, the tulle dresses are working, but I wouldn’t say it’s flawless when I saw the last couple satin dresses. They should know better how to work with this fabric since they are a couture house. It’s not easy to master with this fabric and I know I shouldn’t judge by the photos only, but some of the finishing is bad and people are paying lots of money for the dress and they need to work a little bit better.

To be fair, they looked much better to me during the stream but seeing detail shots I notice how some of the seams are tortured and the fabric sometimes pulls. But I am sticking to what I said regarding the rest of the collection.

Everytime anyone uses the word “empowerment” i shut down. She should worry about making a decent collection because that’s what she is paid for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think her being a bad designer kind of hurts women designers in a way, because she clearly doesn't have the talent for this position so it can look like that she was hired for political correctness and to get attention more than for her skills (not that I think that's what happened). I feel like it would make other women designers be taken less seriously, if that makes any sense.

That is how I feel. She should be hired because she has the talent that can turns the house around (Clare at Givenchy and, obviously Phoebe or Donatella or even Frida) And I think that's how the marketing machine is working at LVMH (Dior and LV) For me, it should be about this people's accomplishment not because of their gender or race. MGC's success was built with Pierpaolo and now that he is leading Valentino, you can see who did the most significant work.

That is how I feel. She should be hired because she has the talent that can turns the house around (Clare at Givenchy and, obviously Phoebe or Donatella or even Frida) And I think that's how the marketing machine is working at LVMH (Dior and LV) For me, it should be about this people's accomplishment not because of their gender or race. MGC's success was built with Pierpaolo and now that he is leading Valentino, you can see who did the most significant work.

To be fair, Frida wasn’t hired because of her talent. Fachinetti is a much better designer than her. She was hired only because she offered to Gucci their first commercial success post-Tom which was the Flora accessories line. As a designer, she wasn’t that far from Maria Grazia at Gucci... That’s the reason why Gucci was one of the borehouse of the 00’s-10’s.

But I totally agree with the rest you said...

To be fair, Frida wasn’t hired because of her talent. Fachinetti is a much better designer than her. She was hired only because she offered to Gucci their first commercial success post-Tom which was the Flora accessories line. As a designer, she wasn’t that far from Maria Grazia at Gucci... That’s the reason why Gucci was one of the borehouse of the 00’s-10’s.

I'd like to disagree with you on this. FW 2014-her last season, she did demonstrate her lack of variety and a tendency to simply coast through every collection with the most uninspired proposition. But prior to that season, as hit-and-miss as most of her offerings were, she still made several attempts at experimentation (particularly the beginning of the 00s). I don't think it's fair to say that she is in the same league as MGC who has been, judging by the laziness of this collection, relying on a-line silhouette and gratuitous amount of tulle throughout her tenure at Dior so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gucci was an exciting house during those years. It was after Frida left and Michele took over that it became a "hype house" but for all the wrong reasons in my opinion. I know a lot of people praise Michele for reviving Gucci sales (which he did) but it's because he's a stylist, not a designer. He hasn't done ANYTHING new since he took over. It's one LOOOOOONG collection just like MGC at Dior.

Whether you liked Frida's collections or not, at least Frida designed COLLECTIONS. Individual collections for individual seasons. One can look at a Frida piece and say "Oh, that's a Boho chic jakcet from the Gucci Fall 2008 collection" or "That's a sporty parachute jacket from fro the Gucci Spring 2010 collection" or "That's an art-deco cocktail dress from the Gucci Spring 2012 collection". There's not a single MGC piece that screams out to you in that way...each collection blends into the previous one, and the one before that, and the one before that. It's been one LOOOOOONG multi-seasonal collection which to me illustrates complacency and laziness.

The house has lost its status in a true fashion sense but instead has become more of a marketing brand with everyone jumping on the bandwagon regardless of how POORLY tailored the pieces are. Look at the close ups of the dresses and it's despicable! It's beyond bad for an atelier. It's like it was done overnight.

^^
Frida understood Glamour and luxury because she was first and foremost a great accessories designer.
She may had some potential and I think that seeing her at another house (Ferragamo) could be an opportunity for her to show her potential but the nostalgy of her Gucci days will never make me forget how mediocre some of her work was.

Long before Slimane and Grazia, her work was criticized for being very Fast-fashion like.

The first few seasons with polo shirts, skinny pants and basic flows dresses...etc.

S/S 2010 was the first time when she really tried something but quickly after she started to reference heavily and with some lackluster result Tom’s work. And then she went full on Vintage YSL. It was glamorous and fun but still I wasn’t impressed maybe because I had better expectations...

MGC like Frida is an accessory designer turned designer. Frida might have more talent and a better sense of luxury but until she has the opportunity to show her potential, they are part of the same school...

Diet Prada completely called her out for the poor constructions of most of the dresses and--I love this--Vogue Runway for writing a ludicrous review of this collection. Now if only they had enough guts to acknowledge Prada and Miu Miu's downfall.~

I'm missing color in this collection. I'd love to see some of the simple gowns in a crazy color... there's a wealth of beige, on the verge of boring, gowns that look close to similar here.

Something's not working at Dior at the moment.

Eternally missing John.

They might had 2 shows. I know they have done it before and Chanel is doing it this season.
1 show for the press and celebrities and the other one for the clients and friends of the house.

Intersting. Thanks for the intel.
Is there like, exclusive looks in these closed doors shows?

Well at least there was diversity in the cast, which is a welcome change from Raf's Dior. Sadly the design element is not there. You can't just slap Dior onto Valentino and expect people to believe it's now Dior.

It was lackluster but it was everything a couture customer wants, it was sophisticated, elegant, chic, not to mention incredibly well made.All the pant suits were ovah, especially the ones with the pleated caplet sleeves.The cuts and the beading were incredible. It seemed to be made for royalty.

It makes me think about Riccardo and Givenchy's previous decision to close couture shows to the press. I think they were on to something.

I still think this is better than Raf's sterile boredom tbh.

it's basic and by the book. It's not appropriate for Christian Dior Haute Couture. Her spring Couture collection was fabulous! How she dropped the ball so quickly is unnerving. She needs to take her bow and let a real pro take over. Even Givenchy was better, and that collection looked like it was made for old ladies.

This is heresy compared to the works of her predecessors. Her constant repetition of style and silhouette is becoming too mediocre and decrepit. Some of the pieces are also poorly made and the entirety needs editing. There are too many looks that were unnecessary. MGC has stripped Dior of its autarchy in couture.

Maria Grazia isn't a designer of clothes she designed accessories for Valentino back in the day... So she should stick with that, and bring a real designer to Dior

she put out the same pretty pretty clothes like Gayten did. But unlike Gayten, she got praises for it. Jesus fashion world

she put out the same pretty pretty clothes like Gayten did. But unlike Gayten, she got praises for it. Jesus fashion world

Looks like the Valentino era is catching up with her.
Also giving Dior Fall 2012 by Bill Gayten vibes

Looks like the Valentino era is catching up with her.
Also giving Dior Fall 2012 by Bill Gayten vibes

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->