Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Binx was her muse and brand model for years haha, such rubbish rumors. The second biggest non European group in France are Algerians, should they be screaming for forced representation on the runways too? Also I noticed recently designers just use quotas without thinking, you just see generic Dinka/South Sudanese models but rarely actual African American or mixed Afram models , Binx is half White, so there is a lot of nuance that gets lost to satisfy SJW mobs online.

What did Ashley Brokaw do?
besides building her career on a very specific aesthetic that you'd think she's recruiting for the military circa 1938 (which of course you can't really see now because in the last 5 years she's had to balance it out/disguised it well with commodity activism/tokenism), her true colors showed when Ulrikke Hoyer called her out after Ashley recommended her to only drink water for the next 24 hours (only to cancel her). What happened next ended up saying more about Ashley than the incident itself: she denied everything and publicly gaslit the model listing the amount of work, money and time sacrifices they had done to 'support' her, she said the water was just an innocent recommendation because you get dehydrated after a long flight (bet she goes around recommending water to people who take long flights for a living), said on social media her measurements were never the issue and asked the model to find 'understanding' of that in her heart (lol), only to go to media outlets and say the measurements WERE the issue and proceed to publicly list the centimeters and other specific body issues they were 'struggling' with to prove a point and intentionally or unintentionally further humiliate the model. In the process she was pretty diligent deleting every negative comment on her instagram, then made it private claiming she was getting death threats (doubt it, but standard claim [where proof is never shown] to make critics sound deranged). She said her team ALWAYS love to have the model on LV shows but somehow that incident was the last time that model was seen on an international catwalk, she did not quit modeling because she still very much models locally so the interest is there. At the time (2017), Ashley was 44 (and the model was 21), values and work ethic are more than solid at that age, so I really don't think that 6 years later we're in a better place with someone who operates like that regardless of how visually friendly/diverse her brand is for the sake of finances.

besides building her career on a very specific aesthetic that you'd think she's recruiting for the military circa 1938 (which of course you can't really see now because in the last 5 years she's had to balance it out/disguised it well with commodity activism/tokenism), her true colors showed when Ulrikke Hoyer called her out after Ashley recommended her to only drink water for the next 24 hours (only to cancel her). What happened next ended up saying more about Ashley than the incident itself: she denied everything and publicly gaslit the model listing the amount of work, money and time sacrifices they had done to 'support' her, she said the water was just an innocent recommendation because you get dehydrated after a long flight (bet she goes around recommending water to people who take long flights for a living), said on social media her measurements were never the issue and asked the model to find 'understanding' of that in her heart (lol), only to go to media outlets and say the measurements WERE the issue and proceed to publicly list the centimeters and other specific body issues they were 'struggling' with to prove a point and intentionally or unintentionally further humiliate the model. In the process she was pretty diligent deleting every negative comment on her instagram, then made it private claiming she was getting death threats (doubt it, but standard claim [where proof is never shown] to make critics sound deranged). She said her team ALWAYS love to have the model on LV shows but somehow that incident was the last time that model was seen on an international catwalk, she did not quit modeling because she still very much models locally so the interest is there. At the time (2017), Ashley was 44 (and the model was 21), values and work ethic are more than solid at that age, so I really don't think that 6 years later we're in a better place with someone who operates like that regardless of how visually friendly/diverse her brand is for the sake of finances.
That was for Louis Vuitton's Kyoto show in 2017, right? I heard that story and I knew she did castings for Ghesquière's shows (from his time at Balenciaga), but it never actually clicked in my head that it was her.

Designers and Casting directors only seem to be into African Americans or girls/guys from West or East Africa. If you're none of the above, Good Luck Charlie.
Are you never happy with diversity? Modelling isn't an International competition. They don't have to cast a girl from each and every country. I've never seen an Albanian model or Montenegrin or, I don't know, an Inuit

Nora Attal is Moroccan. Wasn't there a model from Tunisia? She had short black hair. I can't recall her name but she was popular in 2010's

Designers and Casting directors only seem to be into African Americans or girls/guys from West or East Africa. If you're none of the above, Good Luck Charlie.
If you are talking about Paris and Milan, it’s also important to have in consideration history after all.
Black models in Europe have quickly started to come from old colonies. Paco Rabanne was the first to use black models but from there, they either came from the US and some part of Africa. You think about Katoucha, Amalia, all the big girls from the 80’s…
That’s when it started and some countries became known for the potential in models.

Maybe it’s not a good way to approach things but it is that way. There’s a look for a certain aesthetic and there are habits…

I’m personally happy to see black models and diversity period. I never ask myself the question of why that specific aesthetic is more present on the runway or not because in the whole world of modeling, from campaigns to beauty ad, I think there’s a good representation.

Binx was her muse and brand model for years haha, such rubbish rumors. The second biggest non European group in France are Algerians, should they be screaming for forced representation on the runways too? Also I noticed recently designers just use quotas without thinking, you just see generic Dinka/South Sudanese models but rarely actual African American or mixed Afram models , Binx is half White, so there is a lot of nuance that gets lost to satisfy SJW mobs online.
I mean, let’s be honest, it’s maybe a taboo to talk about it but being a model is not very well seen in Muslim culture and even more in Arab/Maghreb culture.
There are a few girls working like Nora Attal and others but we can’t ignore the social pressure sometimes.

Binx was her muse and brand model for years haha, such rubbish rumors.

To be fair, Binx became a muse conveniently after the industry-wide callout from Iman/Naomi/Bethann's diversity initiative. If you go back before Spring 2014, there were literally zero black models in Phoebe's first several shows for Celine.

It bears repeating that Phoebe was far from the only designer guilty of this; Karl Lagerfeld, Raf Simons, Miuccia Prada, and Marc Jacobs had all gone several consecutive shows and campaigns without using any black models during that time too. She was nevertheless complicit in this pretty shameful yet widespread aspect of fashion during that time.

^^Hanaa Ben Abdesslem maybe?
Very beautiful model but as I said again, it’s very marginal. It’s a question Farida Khelfa touched on and also discussions that have been raised in the industry.
To be fair, Binx became a muse conveniently after the industry-wide callout from Iman/Naomi/Bethann's diversity initiative. If you go back before Spring 2014, there were literally zero black models in Phoebe's first several shows for Celine.

It bears repeating that Phoebe was far from the only designer guilty of this; Karl Lagerfeld, Raf Simons, Miuccia Prada, and Marc Jacobs had all gone several consecutive shows and campaigns without using any black models during that time too. She was nevertheless complicit in this pretty shameful yet widespread aspect of fashion during that time.

‘And it’s exactly why the name Russell Marsh was raised in the conversation. Because his power and the influence of the name Prada was really the cause of that. Let’s be honest, designers where complicit to it through their passivity.
What happened was that when people started to have more middle people in the process, they gave their responsability away.
When you have a stylist and a casting director involved, it can happen.

The example of Karl is interesting for example. Eric Wright (a black man) was his right hand man at Fendi and his own brand, he had an influence on the casting. You look at Fendi and Karl Lagerfeld runways up until he left Karl, you see black girls. At Chanel, it was different people and so the castings were different.
When Russell Marsh started the baby doll trend, everybody followed, they started to have casting directors because they wanted to have the girls that walked Prada and that appeared on Vogue. When there was a black girl, it was either at one point Liya or Yasmin, or Chanel Iman and then it was Jourdan.

The perverse effect is that it happened smoothly. I think Gaultier is the one who never fell into that trap because he was always very involved with the casting.

I was working for a brand that always had black girls on the runway and then one season, nobody. Not even a filler. When you aren’t a decision making person, you can only whisper it through the people. The season after 2 were back but that was the industry back then because there was nobody to make people accountable. The same, I’ll always remember the day there wasn’t any black girl in a Lanvin by Alber runway. I was shocked because he is quite hands-on too.
It’s like in Milan, the day Eric Wright wasn’t part of Karl’s team, there weren’t any black girls in Fendi shows lol.

Iman, Naomi And Bethann made casting directors and stylists accountable. Nobody wants to be labeled or appear as racist. So now they put in work. And designers too have regain an interest in models.

If you are talking about Paris and Milan, it’s also important to have in consideration history after all.
Black models in Europe have quickly started to come from old colonies. Paco Rabanne was the first to use black models but from there, they either came from the US and some part of Africa. You think about Katoucha, Amalia, all the big girls from the 80’s…
That’s when it started and some countries became known for the potential in models.

Maybe it’s not a good way to approach things but it is that way. There’s a look for a certain aesthetic and there are habits…

I’m personally happy to see black models and diversity period. I never ask myself the question of why that specific aesthetic is more present on the runway or not because in the whole world of modeling, from campaigns to beauty ad, I think there’s a good representation.

I mean, let’s be honest, it’s maybe a taboo to talk about it but being a model is not very well seen in Muslim culture and even more in Arab/Maghreb culture.
There are a few girls working like Nora Attal and others but we can’t ignore the social pressure sometimes.

Thats not true, Magrebis youth are often Westernized esp people like Kabyles, but the main point is MENA groups form a very significant portion of the luxury market , but you don't see them cribbing about diversity and for that matter East Asians. I mean I see very ridiculous posts on social media about there not being enough diversity in European fashion , which I find odd. People seem to forget Europe has a native population and they still form the vast majority of the population, so logically most the models will be European/White, its not rocket science.

Are you never happy with diversity? Modelling isn't an International competition.
Why should diversity stop at those ethnicities? I could be satisfied with whats going on and the next person might not be, so who are you to say whats up?

Ok, I can ask you the same question. Who are you to say what's up? And let me remind you that most models who have African roots were not discovered in their home country. Do you really think model scouts would risk their lives by going to Sudan or Niger or Mali or any other dangerous countries just to satisfy your diversity needs?

I do think it's interesting how this is coming out right at the time of her collection. Interesting how Iman, who is buddies with Hedi Slimane (talks about her friendship with him last year in her Vogue House tour). There has always been a rivalry between these designers. When Hedi took over Celine, there was an effort to call his work sexist during the metoo era for his model casting.

Reply to Lax, Them being scouted outside of their home countries doesn't take away the fact of who they are and where they're originally from... Africa is way too diverse for them to be only finding models in certain areas and thats how I feel. Im not asking you to back me up on this.

I never said their roots were taken away. Africa is diverse, Asia is diverse, America is diverse. Europe is Diverse. I think runway shows are finally diverse. I honestly don't see what more could be done in terms of diversity. The only change is how people perceive this diversity, if it's tokenism or not.

Bottega guy is at it again with allegations that may have been alleged within the industry for quite some time now. (Thinking of some stop and start activity with the Phoebe Philo brand…)

How he hasn’t been hit with a devastating lawsuit from one of these billionaire conglomerates is beyond me…
IMG_7662.jpeg
source: Twitter

Anyway they arent going to sue him because they have to prove he is lying. IDK euro laws tho.

Uh why am I looking at everything but fashion. If this ends up being a sunglasses line like TF ….

There is virtually no traction on twitter. What few replies are from aggregator type accounts or people saying “i hope she doesnt feel forced to use black models”

Anyway / is there gonna be mens.

Diversity is just some nonsense billionaires made up to keep the working people squabbling with each other. rather than holding them accountable for their predatory manipulations of the financial instrument market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->