Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Why should diversity stop at those ethnicities? I could be satisfied with whats going on and the next person might not be, so who are you to say whats up?
What does Telfar using all black models do for anyone? Or Prada using all white. All it does is potentially alienate customers. the only ones paying the price - in lost sales - is the company.

Diversity is in the companies best interests. The only reason any model is chosen is because they look like a customer. Or someone a customer can relate to.

It really is exhausting that social media gives a platform to this kind of individual who gets off from instigating scandals. The lies about Bottega Veneta, what he did with Rihanna and Asap Rocky before having to apologise publicly, and now this... Whatever she might or might not be struggling with, is a private matter, and should never be a topic of public conversation. Based on what this person's bio says, I find it wild that someone like that gets hired by fashion publications...

Whatever the reason behind the delay of this launch is, what matters is that it will finally see the light of day in 29 days. And to much anticipation.

Diversity is just some nonsense billionaires made up to keep the working people squabbling with each other. rather than holding them accountable for their predatory manipulations of the financial instrument market.

Umm no

What does Telfar using all black models do for anyone? Or Prada using all white. All it does is potentially alienate customers. the only ones paying the price - in lost sales - is the company.

Diversity is in the companies best interests. The only reason any model is chosen is because they look like a customer. Or someone a customer can relate to.

Are you kidding me? Models do not look like customers ... that's the whole point of models. If models looked like customers, I would be a model. Aesthetic choice and unconscious bias are far more important reasons a model is chosen than what a brand's customers look like. If that were the case, the average model might look like the average Asian customer.

Umm no

Are you kidding me? Models do not look like customers ... that's the whole point of models. If models looked like customers, I would be a model. Aesthetic choice and unconscious bias are far more important reasons a model is chosen than what a brand's customers look like. If that were the case, the average model might look like the average Asian customer.

The models started being asian when the designer started opening boutiques in asia. Did you notice houses are adding Indian Asians now theyre opening boutiques in India.

Carine Roitfeld was on French TV and had a few things to say about Anna Wintour...

Translating for non-French speakers

Journalist 1: Are you okay with being called the French "Anna Wintour" or does it bother you?

Carine Roitfeld: It bothers me a bit.

J1: Why?

CR: Even though I worked with her for some time, I think she's a very good journalist, very straight-forward and who knows what she wants; but I think she's been given too much power.

Journalist 2: She's called the high priestess of global fashion.

CR: She might be more skilled - she might hate me for it, but I think she already does anyway - in politics...

J2: She's sneaky...

CR: I wouldn't say sneaky because she's quite direct. She's more skilled in politics than in fashion. I'm more into this industry for the sake of fashion. Two days ago Mr President (Emmanuel Macron) hosted a dinner at the Elysee Palace to celebrate French fashion and I was shocked, especially for all the French editors-in-chief, that Anna Wintour was sat right next to the President. I didn't find that very tactful.

J1: Because it wasn't you, Carine?
J2: But you are the French Anna Wintour?

CR: There are great (French) editors-in-chief, I don't find it very fair for them.

J1: Do people do too much about her?

CR: People do too much, even though she is very powerful. She has many qualities, she's a great mother which for me is a very good quality.

J1: The Devil Wears Prada made her famous.

CR: Of course, she's very much like the character of the movie, always behind her sunglasses.

J2: You don't like her.

CR: No, I don't like her, but I respect her. I have worked for her so I know how to work with her, and she's exceptional.

J2: (ironically) Does she have eyes?

CR: Blue, I believe.

In 2018 already Isabel Marant talked about the sneaky way Anna made it to the President’s first Designers dinner.
I agree with her. The EIC of ELLE France should have been near Macron.

‘As for liking her… She is Carine. She doesn’t care. People like her! And I don’t think a lot of people like Anna in Paris (and Milan) anyway.

‘I like how honest she was and her hair looked fabulous.
It’s funny to think that she did the taping of that show right after seeing her for two weeks ahaha.

Finished Amy Odell's biography of Anna Wintour. Much better than her previous book which was from a fashion neophyte point of view. The paperback version has an afterward illustrating the incident when Anna was seated next to Queen Elizabeth II at Richard Quinn's show.

Here's an excerpt via Hellomagazine:

Positive buzz around Enninful, British Vogue's first Black editor-in-chief, and his vision of showcasing diversity escalated quickly — but so did his tension with Anna. On February 20, 2018, Enninful attended a dinner in Milan with Newhouse for the Italian high-end puffy coat brand Moncler. That same day, Anna was photographed at Richard Quinn's fashion show seated next to Queen Elizabeth. A notice had gone out previously that a member of the royal family would attend the event. Usually, such notices concerned lesser royals, but Anna—who hadn't planned to go — got a personal tip from a member of the British Fashion Council that it would be the Queen. So she went and got that epic photo op, leaving Enninful so upset that Anna had gotten both the tip and the pictures that he was said to have cried.

^^
I must say, Edward learned well from Anna. I don’t know why he has that public image of supposed passivity around him…
He is where he is at because he understand and uses some of the practices of Anna to his advantage. He is on a mission as much as she is on a mission.

The big difference between Edward and Carine for example and the big common point Edward and Anna have is ambition.

Edward and Anna have used corporatism as a way to help them reach the top.

So, I can never feel any kind of way on things they do to each other. They are/were two figures who are « fighting » to exist in the same space.

Carine for example was very clever from the beginning, because she is different, to distance herself from that kind of figure.

CR: People do too much, even though she is very powerful.

People making a big deal about others in fashion describes too many people (dead and alive) in fashion. I'm sure she wouldn't say that about a certain dead designer though but I rest my case there. I still love Carine! She's not self-important and she doesn't care. She's in fashion for fashion's sake, for the fun of it. There are some (just a few or most? idk) people in the fashion industry who are in it because of it's légèreté and fun, they don't take is seriously as others do. And that's what fashion is, fun.

She's not self-important and she doesn't care. She's in fashion for fashion's sake, for the fun of it. There are some (just a few or most? idk) people in the fashion industry who are in it because of it's légèreté and fun, they don't take is seriously as others do.

Great to see that it's the public perception of her :tearsofjoy:

and anna is more politician than businesswoman too, some people confuse that, if she were a businesswoman vogue would be doing better i think? but shes a politician so shes as highly regarded as ever, and as powerful as ever, doesn't matter the quality of the magazine she puts out or how it sells..

Umm no

The models started being asian when the designer started opening boutiques in asia. Did you notice houses are adding Indian Asians now theyre opening boutiques in India.
I think that the concept of localised shows and campaigns is going to become even stronger in larger brands (Louis Vuitton, Dior, Chanel, Hermés, maybe Gucci and Bottega) with each show and campaign being restaged, reshot and recast to appeal directly to Arab/Asian audiences.

Great to see that it's the public perception of her :tearsofjoy:
Ikr…
I mean, we are talking about someone who like Anna has spend all her life doing that. The woman loves fashion, loves her position, her influence and the insane amount of money her « celebrity-status » makes her earn. Carine working with Phillip Plein, Qatar foundation, LUISAVIAROMA or even Matthew Williams + the quality of her work for the past 10 years doesn’t necessarily translate into « I LOOOVE fashion so much »!

Anyway, Carine and Anna aren’t the same. Anna is more of a politician/businesswoman because her job has been the work of an executive all her life after all. She loves fashion but she represents another side of fashion.
Carine is a stylist at first and at heart. And ultimately, when it was time to be an EIC, an executive, she struggled a lot. Vogue Paris was a fantastic magazine under her but for years she didn’t respect her obligations as an EIC. Carine was the queen of conflicts of interests after all…

and anna is more politician than businesswoman too, some people confuse that, if she were a businesswoman vogue would be doing better i think? but shes a politician so shes as highly regarded as ever, and as powerful as ever, doesn't matter the quality of the magazine she puts out or how it sells..
Vogue is doing great under her giving the circumstances. Politics and business goes hand in hand because the economy of fashion is not the same today.

We have like 5 big entities that represents what is like 90% of the advertising budget of US Vogue. Her work as a politician is to make those people happy and to maintain the best relationships with everybody and giving the kind of similar support to everybody. And the business is being able to sell those pages at high prices and justify the relevance of those brands appearing in her magazine despite the overall climate in the press today.

But you cannot pretend to work in fashion today without having both. It’s all about money and diplomacy. And you don’t stay at the top without the two.

Ikr…
I mean, we are talking about someone who like Anna has spend all her life doing that. The woman loves fashion, loves her position, her influence and the insane amount of money her « celebrity-status » makes her earn. Carine working with Phillip Plein, Qatar foundation, LUISAVIAROMA or even Matthew Williams + the quality of her work for the past 10 years doesn’t necessarily translate into « I LOOOVE fashion so much »!

Anyway, Carine and Anna aren’t the same. Anna is more of a politician/businesswoman because her job has been the work of an executive all her life after all. She loves fashion but she represents another side of fashion.
Carine is a stylist at first and at heart. And ultimately, when it was time to be an EIC, an executive, she struggled a lot. Vogue Paris was a fantastic magazine under her but for years she didn’t respect her obligations as an EIC. Carine was the queen of conflicts of interests after all…

Couldn't agree more, on all accounts!

Samira Nasr (EIC of US Harper’s Bazaar) is in extremely hot water over on Instagram:

A mountain of comments both on her own profile, and that of Harper’s Bazaar demanding she be fired.

Oh yeah it’s only been Israeli civilians suffering in this inexplicable attack that came out of nowhere last week! oh no! how insensitive and careless, Samira.. hope they have electricity and all that to read your instagram apology. :weary:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->