Designer & Fashion Insiders Behavior [Read post #1 before posting]

Discussion in 'Rumor has it...' started by tFS Thread Manager, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Phuel

Phuel Well-Known Member

^^^ Lola and I were having this conversation on another thread, and it’s very much an entire system of mediocrity (that’s fulled by the need to maximize profit by appealing to the widest— and lowest common denominators in these days of globalized fashion): Lazy and tepid editors and CDs/ADs hyping lesser designers, whom in turn work with mediocre photographers, whom in turn never bother to make the effort to push models to do more than just stand there blankly (because apparently "diversity" is enough these days for a fashion show/editorial). And everybody is afraid to offend SJWs on SM for fear of being cancelled, so everything is so safe and generic and instantly accessible with their branding. There’s never been a more shallow and vapid time in this industry than now-- despite ll the in-your-face white knighting. How can this new generation of fashion audience feel insulted by such mediocre offerings when this is all that’s around them and it’s all they’re aware of…???

Have a gander at the vintage magazine threads— in particular Franca’s VI, and the astounding level of creativity, intelligence and fearlessness in daring to provoke and challenge social norms through HF is so very potent in those imageries 20-30 years alter: My heart leaps a beat whenever someone post new imagery from that golden era of HF.

Lola701, entten, MagFan and 1 other person like this.
  2. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

Hi Jorge Palomo...did you post the screenshots? i cannot find them....would like to read this...Thanks!

3. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

FAA1CC00-0E11-40EE-B62A-64EFA8823B9A.png 769F6A15-D1A2-4E2F-A356-105366D655C5.png

source: my own screenshots

4. Xone

Xone Well-Known Member

Thank you! that's bad from Vogue but about the "Naquita" comments i think he is referring to the editor of Glamour not Vogue'es.

5. Will Ross

Will Ross Active Member

Like if you have to justify your pics by calling out your copying then you shouldn’t be working. His work is now a copy of Hugo which is a copy of Meisel. Can Instagram just disappear so that these unnecessary “photographers” stop getting work because they are semi attractive and have a bunch of followers. It’s just a joke at this point kinda like his work and Dust Magazine.

0BE3ED1B-98F7-421F-84FC-09606041415E.jpeg

RedSmokeRise, tapenerd and Benn98 like this.
  6. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Does anyone know whether Jean Paul Gaultier had a falling out with Madonna, Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss? I was so sad not to see any of them at his last show, especially Madonna. It felt very disrespectful, to be honest.

Benn98 likes this.
  7. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Could be hogwash, could be legit. Make of it what you will.

Naomi Campbell and Vogue editor Edward Enninful 'fall out following a series of bust-ups' after being friends for 30 years
    • Naomi Campbell, 49, and Vogue editor Edward Enninful, 47, 'have fallen out'
    • It is even said that Ms Campbell’s work at the publication has ground to a halt
    • She is said to have been ‘irked’ Enninful is close friends with her ex Liam Payne
    By KATIE HIND SHOWBUSINESS EDITOR FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

PUBLISHED: 22:23 GMT, 25 January 2020 | UPDATED: 13:43 GMT, 28 January 2020

He is used to working with the most high-maintenance divas among the notoriously difficult personalities of the fashion world.

But even the patience of Vogue editor Edward Enninful may have been pushed to breaking point by Naomi Campbell. The supermodel was unveiled as a contributing editor to the fashion bible two years ago. Yet, although they have been friends for 30 years, it seems Ms Campbell, 49, and Mr Enninful, 47, have fallen out, according to sources.

It is even said Ms Campbell’s work for the publication has ground to a halt – raising questions over her future at the magazine. An insider claims the problems began last month when Ms Campbell won the Fashion Icon award at the British Fashion Awards.
    She is said to have complained Mr Enninful didn’t congratulate her as effusively as she would have wanted. The model is also said to have been ‘irked’ he has become close friends with her ex-boyfriend, former One Direction singer Liam Payne, 26.

One source said: ‘Edward has the patience of a saint. As a former fashion stylist, he has worked with high-maintenance models for a very long time. He has also been very tolerant of Naomi but recently he has been telling people this is it. ‘It seems he has had it with her and he hasn’t exactly been making a secret about it.’

Another Vogue insider said Mr Enninful had struggled to accommodate the model’s expectations within Vogue’s budget.

A spokesman for British Vogue denied there was any fallout and said Ms Campbell will appear in the March issue, out this week. However, long lead times mean that the magazine was put together before the row erupted.

Ms Campbell declined to comment last night.

Daily Mail

tapenerd likes this.
  8. eugenius

eugenius Well-Known Member

Madonna is on tour, and, apparently, recovering from an injury, and I haven't seen Madonna make an appearance at the shows in years. Maybe she decided to retire from that whole scene altogether, which I assume JPG would understand. I doubt they had a falling out. If Madonna calls, I'll be sure to ask her. (Of note: the belts used on Dita Von Teese's pale pink corset look like the belt used for Madonna's opening number for her Blond Ambition tour. Maybe that's JPGs way of having Madonna at the show, without her actually being there.)

And as far as Naomi + Kate go, yeah, they did his shows in the past, but I don't consider them being "Gaultier girls", per se. I can't think of all the models he cast off the top of my head, but I did see Erin O'Connor, Chrystele St. Louis Augustin, and Julia Schonberg (sp?) make an appearance at his last couture show, and those are the models I'd immediately associate with Gaultier. They strike me as women who continuously inspired him throughout the years, whereas Kate & Naomi were just pretty models who looked good in his clothes.

#488 eugenius, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    dodencebt likes this.
  9. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

Following up from my first ever introduction to Kerby Jean-Raymond from that BOF debacle a few months ago, I binged Next in Fashion on Netflix this weekend :ninja: and wow...I was surprised this guy was able to pass the studio door, his ego must be at least 7' tall. He barely has any discernible design talent himself, not sure how production thought he would be able to provide any constructive feedback to other designers?

Who is Kerby Jean-Raymond? Next in Fashion judge stormed off Netflix show saying “I can’t do this”

Benn98 and tapenerd like this.
  10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Funny you should bring this up again because just last week I listened to his interview on Hypebeast Radio (I know, judge as much as you like! :rofl:), and let me just put it this way, Kerby made me feel as if PR agents are a necessary evil. In fact, he made me WISH he had a PR agent who could spin all sorts of lies instead of his actual story. That's how exasperating and annoyingly cocky he sounded. Which is sort of ironic when you think about it because his story could be considered as inspirational. But the way he delivers it is so off-puttingly bombastic. For instance, as with most new designers, he had a slew of people who backed him from a very young age right until Pyer Moss. But instead of just focusing on that story he adds in these 'XYZ saw how much talent I had, and I was already doing this at that age, and so they went out on a limb to...', who talks like that? I thought, blimey mate, how about you give the interviewer or that backer an opportunity to praise your 'talent' instead of doing it yourself. LOL. It's just so crass.

11. Melancholybaby

Melancholybaby Well-Known Member

A Kerby Jean-Raymond interview? On Hypebeast Radio? :blink: Yeah sorry, @Benn98. You kind of brought this onto yourself.

Edit: Just googled it...88 minutes?! :shock: You'd have to tie me down and gag me in order to listen to 1,5 hour of this guy blowing his own horn.

12. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Well it was playing in the background while I was busy cooking, lol, but yes. My taste in podcasts is admittedly cheap but I have to listen to Hypebeast Radio because of my line of work.

RedSmokeRise and Lola701 like this.
  13. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

It’s weird, I don’t dislike KJR. I actually find him kinda cute and I’ve seen him around PFW and even noticed his work quite early when he started to design clothes for Usher...
    But I think he is someone very confident who feels (and he is right in a way) that the fashion industry needs him more than he needs it. With the focus on diversity, the rise of streetwear and the voice of the Hip-Hop community, he is in a position of Power and kinda look people with a « I’m better than you mentality ».

As a BW woman who has worked in the industry, I totally understand the struggle of someone like him who wanted to make it in this industry. And while I think he is quite talented (he is probably the most talented designer coming from that school of Streetwear), I have a problem with people, so him, who as designers present themselves as Artists! It’s pretentious!

And it’s even more pretentious considering that the greatest masters of fashion never considered themselves as artists...Being involved in different fields doesn’t make you an Artist. And you only become an artist to someone else’s eye...

I feel like he is more into the lifestyle aspect of fashion than the real love for the craft and the job. Fashion offers opportunities, doors to another world. He attended a lot of shows at PFW and even if he was there for business, there’s a social aspect and a glamour surrounding PFW that served his brand.

Fashion now is so much about personalities and not about the actual designs. I’ve heard his ambition is to follow Virgil’s footsteps but I think that at one point narratives will have to be less important than actually caring for the craft. That’s why I will always support Olivier Rousteing (even when he does very ugly clothes) because with him, the conversation is mainly about his work even if his tough story is a big part of his persona!

tapenerd and Benn98 like this.
  14. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Ahem, Heron Preston, the Zac Posen of streetwear. Although don't you dare mention this in Carine's presence because she will likely scratch your eyes out.

Honestly, if I would have read Kerby's story penned by someone else I may actually have warmed to him as a personality because like I said at the core, it's actually rather inspirational. And that's probably why I endured 1.5hrs of 'me, me, me!', lol. I'd probably still be of the opinion that he's not that great of a designer, but at least I'd respect him. As it is I find it hard to respect anyone who spits out soundbites such as 'Me and Anna (Wintour), we fack with each other'. Settle down, you may think it's cute or ballsy or whatever, but you're not at that level of acclaim to name associate yourself like that.

tapenerd likes this.
  15. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

People who talk like that are usually really insecure ...

RedSmokeRise likes this.
  16. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

17. dodencebt

dodencebt Well-Known Member

Marc commented that it is a mistake and gave public credit to Karole on the official Instagram page several times. Whoever put together the press notes is getting fired.

RedSmokeRise, dsamg and tapenerd like this.
  18. dsamg

dsamg Well-Known Member

Unprofessional post by Karole IMO, mistakes do happen and even though these days everyone manages to make it about race or gender etc, it was most likely a genuine error. Karole could have addressed it with a much less passive aggressive caption. Really amazes me sometimes how immature many in the fashion industry are - wouldn't last a day in any other job.

19. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Agreed! I just can't get past this whole idea of running to social media as the very first resort, especially when in this case she likely had the opportunity to confront Marc directly. If I would be a prospective curator or project manager I would steer clear of her.

dsamg and dodencebt like this.
  20. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Because there's simply not enough beauty brands out there right now. These two would do anything to make a penny, and I mean anything! :lol::lol::lol:

Lancôme Taps Mert & Marcus for Their First Ever Beauty Collab
    Jeena Sharma

Lancôme teams up with famed fashion photographers Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott for their first ever beauty collaboration.
    The duo, whose work has appeared in Vogue, Interview Magazine, and W, and whose major clients include Dior, Louis Vuitton, and Fendi, have been commissioned to create a capsule makeup collection.

The line will be part of the color cosmetics range for nighttime and include a makeup kit for the eyes, the Eyes Cold as Ice Kit, and one for lips, the Flaming Lips Lip Kit.

There are also liquid eye shadows in four matte-to-glitter shades; an eye-shadow palette in 10 hues; the Teint Idole Ultra Duo Stick, a highlighter-and-blur combination, in two shades, and L'Absolu Rouge lipstick in matte to sheer finishes, WWD reports.

"We have tricks for how we work with our women's lips or eyes, or how we can make their cheeks a little longer," Alas told WWD. "We were interested in taking these photographic techniques and our expertise in beauty into the cosmetics world and developing products out of them."

For the collection, the duo made the "dna of Lancôme" an integral focus, and described the French cosmetics brand's consumer as "sophisticated, elegant, contemporary, Parisian, women of lifestyle and of the day mostly."

Still, don't expect the collection to be subtle or have soft pastel colors. On the contrary, the creatives wanted to "bring saturation; absurdity; a little more surrealism; bold, bigger lips, and eyes bluer than blue."

"For the past 25 years, as image-makers we have worked to break rules, push boundaries and stretch the limits of our acceptance within fashion photography," Alas continued. "Our photography has always tended to be a little on the dark side. I needed more questions, substance and depth. It was important that this rebellion was reflected in our makeup collaboration. We wanted to create a woman for Lancôme who is more nocturnal, to add a dark side to this iconic brand that all women love. After Dark came from there, because we wanted this character to be more of a night cat and slightly more dangerous."

This isn't the first time Lancôme has partnered with creatives for a color cosmetics line. Over the years, the likes of Chiara Ferragni, Proenza Schouler and Olympia Le-Tan have all created capsule collections for the brand.

The limited-edition line is due out in Europe starting in February and the U.S. in March.

Paper Magazine

dsamg and tapenerd like this.