Model Behavior (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

Gisele's wealth has been estimated at 400 million. I'm not sure if Gisele pays taxes in the US or in Costa Rica. (Costa Rica has a flat tax which may be more beneficial for her) The issue is that she's donating part of her salary to her own charity (for a tax write-off) and then her own charity keeps most of the money never distributing it or sends $ to friends' organizations. This is against the law in the US and the government can investigate/suspend the charity.

Shakira's problem is different. Shakira doesn't want to pay income taxes. Shakira lives in Spain but claims to spend 6 months and two days of the year in the Bahamas. She claims she is a Bahamas resident not a Spanish resident. People in the Bahamas pay no income taxes. Tax officials in Spain have looked at her private flight itineraries, paparazzi images and attendance at Spanish football events and determined that she lives in Spain for more than 6 months of the year making her a Spanish resident.

Shakira agreed to pay back taxes she owed the Spanish government and a fine but now says it was mistake and wants the money back. She says she is a victim. She will not admit guilt and will go trial for fraud.

Here's a recent associated press/npr story about Shakira here:

Shakira will face a tax-fraud trial in Spain

BARCELONA, Spain — A Spanish judge on Tuesday approved a trial for Colombian pop singer Shakira on charges of tax fraud.

Spanish prosecutors accused the entertainer in 2018 of failing to pay 14.5 million euros ($13.9 million) in taxes on income earned between 2012 and 2014. Prosecutors are seeking an eight-year prison sentence and a hefty fine if she is found guilty of tax evasion.

Shakira, 45, has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and rejected a deal with authorities to avoid going to trial. Her public relations firm has said that she has already paid all that she owed and an additional 3 million euros ($2.8 million) in interest.

The court based in the town of Esplugues de Llobregat near Barcelona said that Shakira will face six counts of tax fraud. The date for the trial has yet to be set.

The case hinges on where Shakira lived during 2012-14. Prosecutors in Barcelona have alleged the Grammy winner spent more than half of that period in Spain and should have paid taxes in the country, even though her official residence was in the Bahamas.

Shakira, whose full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, has been linked to Spain since she started dating soccer player Gerard Pique. The couple, who have two children, used to live together in Barcelona but recently ended their 11-year relationship.

Spain has cracked down on soccer stars like Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo over the past decade for not paying their full due in taxes. They were found guilty of evasion but both avoided prison time thanks to a provision that allows a judge to waive sentences under two years in length for first-time offenders.
Thank You

probably just ignore it and hope it goes away as it did when the Kardashian one was put on blast by models for saying she "wasn't one of those girls who did 30 shows a season" (tells you a lot about her that she thinks that's a notably high number for a model) and people had stories of her not bothering to show up for work/fittings etc.

Designers don't care if these girls can't walk or pose or half-*** the behind the scenes things like being on time, all they see is the requirement for a "celebrity" to draw eyes to the brand and it's easier to push a nepo kid as a celebrity from the go than giving the opportunity and publicity to the next Naomi or Gisele, who actually got big off their work.

Lily-Rose is more an "actress"/ig influencer type than a model anyway, everyone with eyes knows she has the Chanel gig for being Vanessa's daughter and it's not a real modelling career, just a little side line. Still ridiculous to see 5'2" kids who can barely walk straight like her and Lila Moss on a runway though, we all know why they're there or have those Vogue covers, people only get annoyed when they both suck at the job and stay in denial about why they got the chance to have the job in the first place/act like their nepo connections are just incidental to how they got it.

^ exactly, she's just a "novelty model", for lack of a better way to put it.

I agree with the substance of Vittoria's post since she framed it as a larger issue of nepo models in general but like you said, LRD is no more a real model than Kristen Stewart, her height effectively guarantees that. The actual way she benefits is from access to acting roles since both her parents are in that field too and it doesn't need her to be tall.

How do we feel about extending the nepo model conversation to previous gen nepo babies like Lydia Hearst, Theo and Alex Richards, Lauren Bush?

Also where do people stand when it comes to lesser known models maybe those direct board or showroom models or bikini models who come from the 1% and bought their way up from cosmetic doctors to designer outfits to being able to pay cash upfront for agency service fees, test shoots and a nice apartment rental in a big market? Most agencies high and low are full of these kinds of girls, usually white and American or European. Even more they had an upper hand at Instagram being able to curate their feed, access beautiful locations.

In my opinion, overall, there is kind of a problem that opportunity is given over and over to the same kind of girls who come from the same kinds of families. Maybe she doesn't become a big name and doesn't book a lot but she takes up space and inventory at an agency where those spots could be invested in a really good black girl or Asian girl.

Emily Didonato recently posted on instagram complaining how her managers and agents suggested she purchase and wear designer items while on job interviews/castings.
here is a rundown on her posts.

This made her sound like a spoiled brat in my view. We all (even non-modelling mortals) have to purchase and wear suitable items while on job interviews often at considerable expense. We all have to dress for the job we want if we are serious individuals.

Emily Didonato recently posted on instagram complaining how her managers and agents suggested she purchase and wear designer items while on job interviews/castings.

This made her sound like a spoiled brat in my view. We all (even non-modelling mortals) have to purchase and wear suitable items while on job interviews often at considerable expense. We all have to dress for the job we want if we are serious individuals.

True, but it doesn't have to be designer in our case. Designer costs much more than what regular people wear, and I think this is why she complained. I don't see how it makes her sound like a spoiled brat.

Pretty sure she got a Maybelline contract through a small New York agency (RE:QUEST) long before she was sent out to see Karl Lagerfeld and walk red carpet events. She was one of the rare ones who made money fast doing commerical work then transitioned to the harder high fashion castings. A lot of agencies loan out or borrow out clothes for new models to wear to castings (but the time period Emily references was not new model period for her). Usually someone from the agency goes to the designer sample sales and then the clothing and shoes are kept in the back office. Or some girls date for someone to take them on a shopping spree (businessmen...promoters..)

Yes 100% and it look like it definitely paid off for her in these "$10,000 a day" business investments. I honestly would have disliked seeing models wearing forever 21 during that era of model off duty looks.

Yes 100% and it look like it definitely paid off for her in these "$10,000 a day" business investments. I honestly would have disliked seeing models wearing forever 21 during that era of model off duty looks.

Emily's story is misleading. The polaroid of her in the Forever 21 outfit is her scouting outfit. She started out with a small agency called RE:QUEST in NYC and landed a Maybelline contract as a new face there. This was and still is the type of contract that is rarely heard of a new face landing with no prior editorial or runway experience. It wasn't until she left RE:QUEST and moved to a bigger agency that she got pushed for high fashion jobs and Sports Illustrated. But she already had cash flow as a model because of the Maybelline contract.
It's very different from say someone like Ginta Lapina or Jourdan Dunn who start from poor high fashion new face to campaigns to commercial catalog to beauty commerical campaign work. Not even like Joan Smalls who tried high fashion first then failed and then did catalog and retried high fashion runways and finally struck gold then campaigns then higher profile commercial then Estee Lauder. Emily was always considered a diamond as in that rare girl who was making tons of money because she has a once in an era kind of face for makeup. She didn't have to do runway or editorials.

And the era of model street style was mainly pieces of the high fashion models getting clothing or "trade" in return for doing a job for a designer (plus, dating bankers and businessmen who can buy you a Chanel or Givenchy bag). They would recycle and rewear those pieces all the time with combat boots and dark jeans...

How do we feel about extending the nepo model conversation to previous gen nepo babies like Lydia Hearst, Theo and Alex Richards, Lauren Bush?

Honestly, those early nepos were just novelty models too, they never got to the level of the Hadids or Marisa Berenson where anyone could ID them in their own right without adding "daughter of XYZ celeb". yeah, none of them were great or even good models, but they also weren't shoved relentlessly in people's faces for years on end to the same extent.

But yeah, no one who isn't delusional believes any of the Richards/Hearst/Bush girls would have got the fashion gigs they did if it wasn't for their last names. Rockstar offspring going into modelling was a thing back in the day too, but there was also more of an expectation to actually do the work and less tolerance of laziness (not doing shows, most celeb offspring would never hack a full season, let alone a few years of doing multiple shows in every fashion capital - even the relatively successful ones e.g. Daisy Lowe, couldn't keep up past that), and also no 5'4"s were allowed on the runway back then!

(this is NOT to say that I believe a short model can't be good, Kiko Mizuhara is a fantastic model and only 5'4", it's just....she makes up for her lack of height with other things, like a personality and an ability to work a camera. The nepo shorties otoh just seem bland and void of charisma, like...I know there's that talk about being a blank canvas for designers but it doesn't mean you have to be the human equivalent of a glass of diluted milk)

Frankly, it's a bit tricky to extend the conversation of nepotism. What for? and how far are we going to go back in time? are we just going to stop at a range that seems convenient for the sake of a biased comparison to prove a point or get consistent on the research and keep going back over the decades only to come to the awkward realisation that the aspirational factor modeling is founded on was not anchored exclusively on your ability to starve but on fully unattainable elements none of us can change such as birthplace and family?

I don't see what could be gained from discrediting the work produced by good models such as Jodie Kidd, Stella Tennant, Mariacarla Boscono, Veruschka, the list is endless, just because they came from aristocracy and/or connections to the fashion world. Surely modeling is not the most demanding sector in terms of high-skilled labor and there's plenty of room for women of all backgrounds? why obsess and feel resentment when others dare expressing exhaustion, pride or talk about hard work? it's all relative, isn't it? we all complain about hard work and most people will tell you the challenges they've been through in order to achieve whatever they have achieved professionally. Yet most of them are not coming from warzones or refugee camps, they're not working in a mine or collecting cherries under harsh condition in 12-hour shifts. So maybe.... stop comparing yourself to others and being so fixed on how some people cry in their Malibu villa, when you go and do the same in your Ibiza home when plenty of models have expired visas or surprise, can't even toy with the idea of 'affording a plane to fly home' because their families depend on the income of the one who is abroad. When you compare yourself to others while demanding others to not compare themselves to you, besides sounding like a laughable brat, you invite people to do exact that and the result in terms of tone-deafness isn't any better than Lily Rose's.

Lol. Imagine being 24 and trying to 'teach' a lesson on the "YEARS" it took you to gain respect in your profession, when most regular 24 year olds are still interns or in entry level positions. FYI, Vittoria, for most people that live off their education and not body proportions, that happens in their 40s, and rejection is present at all times, for life. Some people just don't like the way you work, boohoo. And most people at some point or another will also work/compete with people that came from 'comfy sexy pillows with a view' (whatever that means), and will also compete with people who have gone through harder lives than you and we all turn a blind eye on that, just like you do when you're chosen over poorer, thicker, darker-skinned, struggling models.

Literally rich people stuff is inherently "unfair" and the constant conversations and complaining about who deserves it or not is so bloody boring. We've got to finally democratize elitism once and for all!!1!1! Wake up sheeple. But anyways she's 24 and her prefrontal cortex isn't fully developed so I can give her a pass for being stupid

^ :lol:

Honestly, capitalism is a hard pill to swallow!

Also, speaking of stupid, I meant fixated not fixed, I'm going to blame this on the horrible microsoft computer I'm using right now.

The nepo conversation will never end just like the body diversity conversation, it seems. In general I don't really mind. There's thousands of years of precedent for children following in their parents' footsteps when it comes to careers. lol

The part that truly annoys me, though, is when they pretend their family connections were actually a disadvantage, that they had to work twice as hard as everyone else to prove all the doubting Thomases wrong. That is delusion.

Frankly, it's a bit tricky to extend the conversation of nepotism. What for? and how far are we going to go back in time? are we just going to stop at a range that seems convenient for the sake of a biased comparison to prove a point or get consistent on the research and keep going back over the decades only to come to the awkward realisation that the aspirational factor modeling is founded on was not anchored exclusively on your ability to starve but on fully unattainable elements none of us can change such as birthplace and family?

I don't see what could be gained from discrediting the work produced by good models such as Jodie Kidd, Stella Tennant, Mariacarla Boscono, Veruschka, the list is endless, just because they came from aristocracy and/or connections to the fashion world. Surely modeling is not the most demanding sector in terms of high-skilled labor and there's plenty of room for women of all backgrounds? why obsess and feel resentment when others dare expressing exhaustion, pride or talk about hard work? it's all relative, isn't it? we all complain about hard work and most people will tell you the challenges they've been through in order to achieve whatever they have achieved professionally. Yet most of them are not coming from warzones or refugee camps, they're not working in a mine or collecting cherries under harsh condition in 12-hour shifts. So maybe.... stop comparing yourself to others and being so fixed on how some people cry in their Malibu villa, when you go and do the same in your Ibiza home when plenty of models have expired visas or surprise, can't even toy with the idea of 'affording a plane to fly home' because their families depend on the income of the one who is abroad. When you compare yourself to others while demanding others to not compare themselves to you, besides sounding like a laughable brat, you invite people to do exact that and the result in terms of tone-deafness isn't any better than Lily Rose's.

Lol. Imagine being 24 and trying to 'teach' a lesson on the "YEARS" it took you to gain respect in your profession, when most regular 24 year olds are still interns or in entry level positions. FYI, Vittoria, for most people that live off their education and not body proportions, that happens in their 40s, and rejection is present at all times, for life. Some people just don't like the way you work, boohoo. And most people at some point or another will also work/compete with people that came from 'comfy sexy pillows with a view' (whatever that means), and will also compete with people who have gone through harder lives than you and we all turn a blind eye on that, just like you do when you're chosen over poorer, thicker, darker-skinned, struggling models.
Why should she have to stay silent and let nepotism models live in false delusion they got here on their own merit? It's not obsession or fixation to make a rebuttal, and she said what she said respectfully without calling anyone a 'laughable brat' or accusing them of 'starving'. Notice, how she commented on the delusion of some models, not the fact that nepotism models exist. I don't think most people have a problem with talented nepo models who recognize their advantages, only the mediocre lily rose types who talk themselves into believing their worth while doing the bare minimum

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->