Givenchy Bids Adieu to Couture Runway

Could someone please post the full article since you can't read it on WWD.com unless you subscribe.

From the few lines it looks like they are still doing couture so at least it still being created but yes I agree it will suck that there is no show.

And now, Haute Couture schedule just became even more boring .

old headline with renewed relevance: the couture is in crisis.

Farewell To Couture
Ella Alexander 21 June 2010

GIVENCHY has announced it is to stop couture catwalk shows in favour of individual client and editor appointments. The label's couturier Riccardo Tisci will condense the collection into 10 looks and present them in an 18th century town house on the Place Vendome in Paris.

"I want to make couture even more special than it is, and not just another catwalk show," Tisci told WWD. "People can really experience the couture moment - see it, touch it."

The label asserts the decision has nothing to do with cost saving, stressing that the new presentation is likely to cost 35 per cent more than a catwalk show. The installation will include a look book shot by Vogue photographer Willy Vanderperre and model appearances from Lara Stone and Mariacarla Boscono.

Tisci revealed future collections will be unveiled at the label's couture salons where mini catwalk shows will be held.

"After a crisis, a new era always starts," the designer added. "It's going to be a very good moment for creativity. For couture, it's going to go back to being very exclusive."

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/daily/100621-givenchy-ends-couture-shows.aspx

Will they lose their membership in the Chambre syndicale de la haute couture if they don't put on a show / presentation (even if it is only for the press) of at least 35 pieces?

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been mentioned in at least 2 other threads. But it kinda sucks that he's giving up runway shows. They're usually the most impressive. Motion is so important. But Tisci is an amazing artist, so I'm wait and see. SURELY he'll come up with something impressive.

I'm very disappointed. Givenchy couture is always very edgy and dramatic and the runway shows always enhance this positively. I think that a presentation would be kind of boring, but we'll see.

Oh **** this. Riccardo better bull some great **** out of his *** if he's only showing 10 looks. :rolleyes:

It doesn't sound too bad to me. I really trust Riccardo's understanding of fashion and the way it should be presented, so moving on to a more exclusive, intimate territory and concentrating on very specific demands and looks will only push him to get even more creative.

^and isn't "special" and "exclusive" the whole point of HC anyway?

yeah i don't find this a bad idea at all. his reasoning behind it is definitely much more thoughtful than what you get from most established couturiers. i just feel like when they put on these celebrity-laden shows and hype up these collections it kind of defeats the purpose.

well then theres no reason anymore to go to couture.... i really was planning to go this july but this ruined it

the new presentation is likely to cost 35 per cent more than a catwalk show.

That's the crisis.

A runway show may cost around one million and one million and a half euros, and what's expensive about it is the whole event, not the difference between the number of outfits.

And those who say that couture will become more exclusive if it's showed as a presentation... Couture has always been showed on a catwalk and it has always been exclusive. I don't get that point at all. :ermm:

A runway show is always more magical, more impressive... To me it's necessary. You can see the movement of the fabrics, the way models walk with the clothes, the excitement of seeing the whole set, that beautiful moment when the music begins and a model makes her appearance with the first outfit of the collection, seeing a model closing while the lighting becomes darker... All that is priceless.

i still don't fully understand the point of this since it will cost even more than the catwalk shows and will also give them less visibility (i know couture is not necessarily a bout visibility/press but in a time of crisis that's as important as their clients). That's sad anyway, Givenchy was the show i was mostly looking forward to during couture week.

I remember going to a Versace Couture show at the Ritz, with only one model and no catwalk ... So nothing really new or striking ...

And I don't how it shows Couture is in crisis ... The Givenchy Couture is not over, it is just going to something a little bit more exclusive, as Couture used to be and should be ... Since, as already read in an article a lot of customers don't want to be seen, at least now they won't have to hide behind an H&M capeline ...
I don't understand though how the presentation can cost +35% than an usual catwalk presentation ?
I wonder what will be the security protocole !! Ahah ! No cell phones, inside ?? Go Tisci !

well then theres no reason anymore to go to couture.... i really was planning to go this july but this ruined it
Why ? If I were to go to Couture Season, I would go even more now to see how beautiful the presentation will be ... You should go ! RSVP, ASAP !

But I do hope we'll see the pictures of Willy V !!!!!

Will they lose their membership in the Chambre syndicale de la haute couture if they don't put on a show / presentation (even if it is only for the press) of at least 35 pieces?
I figured out the answer to my own question, or at least I think I have. As long as their RTW shows have 35 looks of day and evening wear, they should be fine. Yeah I don't understand the more expensive element unless they are going to do numerous showings to small groups and if they do that and if they hire top models for these showings (which is unclear at this point) then I can see how the costs will mount.

To me this sounds a lot like what Gucci is doing with their Premiere line, except Givenchy's press release sounds classier. And for those who don't think this is about celebrities, I think it has a lot to do with celebrities. I think that there will be a lot of celebrities and / or their stylists attending these presentations. I think the celebs, probably moreso than the socialites and nouveau riche in the US, Middle East and Asia want there to be a perception that a gown (especially for a big event like the Oscars) was made with them in mind, as opposed a look that captured a stylist's fancy at a catwalk show.

Hopefully, since it will be just 10 looks they will be 10 perfect looks.
The less garments made means the more time spent on the ones that are there which is a good thing I think, especially for couture.

As long as I get to see his creations I am okay with them being stationary, underwater, in space, whatever.

Although I'm still extremely mad I wont be seeing 40-50 looks from Givenchy in couture, I'm just glad that they are still showing something. ^_^ Givenchy has always been one of my favorites. :heart: I hope Riccardo proves this to be a wise decision.

hm I wonder why the presentation will cost more than the runway shows?
I don't see anything else wrong with the decision, I think Tisci knows what he's doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->