Models Who Are Jolie Laide

Tanya D, really? I peg her as a doll/alien face.

I wonder where is the border between jolie laide girls and girls who don't have those ''mainstream'' beauty looks?
I too am curious where the line will lie cuz in my mind there's a definite difference between being "unconventional pretty" & bring "jolie laide".

Like, personally I would've categorize Othilia Simon more as the former... Meh, I guess its subjective

I think most of the models who have been posted are more unconventional pretty than "ugly-pretty".

^agreed but it's tricky with the whole perception of beauty thing soo...

^yup, I commented earlier in this thread that it's all subjective.

Amanda Moore
Are you sure about that one?? I know beauty is all subjective...but I really can't see much laide about Amanda Moore!
Dolce+Gabbana+Fall+2004+869HwVdvBznl.jpg

(stylebistro.com)

this is really subjective, and i think applies to many models.
the first who came to my mind was Kelly Mittendorf. and she's not a model, but Charlotte Gainsbourg.
and Guinevere van Seenus, Daiane Conterato, Saskia de Brauw. basically the intriguing models who are not classic beauties like Toni Garrn for example.

I might've found my new favorite thread.. :crush: The jolie laide woman is definitely my favorite!

Julia Zimmer

models

Indigo Blue Hanlon

mode.newslicious

Karolijn Zomer

personal

Constanza Saravia

bighousediary.tumblr

Liah Cecchellero

elitemodel.it

Femke

paparazzimodels

How thin is the line between jolie laide and androgyny?

^Pretty thick I think, actaully. For me jolie laide counts as having absolutely nothing conventionally attractive/beautiful to your features but still possessing a poetic quality to your presence and bone structure. Androgyny or having harsh/uncommon features like some of the girls posted above is something different IMO. Girls like Sasha P, Irina L, Hanne Gaby, Daiane C and many, many girls from around the zeroes, I perceive them as jolie laide.

I honestly think a lot of models posted don't belong in this thread. Aymeline for example is definitely more a classic beauty than jolie laide.
And Saskia has a pretty face, it's just the way she's styled usually that makes her fall into a different category but definitely not this one.

Personally I don't find Edie Campbell Jolie Laide. Remember when she had long hair? She was about as commercially pretty as you get, total British girl next door. Her features aren't quirky enough for me.

Julia Nobis? Othilia Simon? I'd put both of them in the androgynous category (if anything) before I'd call them "pretty ugly".

Pretty-Ugly..is different with PRETTYYYY UGLY. If you know what I mean.

Ana Buljevic
Aquilano.Rimondi+Fall+2014+Backstage+xdgTOo8-_cRl.jpg

Carolina Sjöstrand
Ann+Demeulemeester+Fall+2014+Backstage+eFa3Yqv48W9l.jpg

Clarice Silva Vitkauskas
Giorgio+Armani+Fall+2014+Backstage+z9-ogePR2Zwl.jpg

Cristina Piccone
Kristina+Ti+Fall+2014+Backstage+hSg3M-T9O_Ml.jpg

Ewa Wladymiruk
Jonathan+Saunders+Fall+2014+Backstage+8uba59XVp_dl.jpg

Feng Qi Wen
John+Galliano+Fall+2014+Backstage+JNcxrqiohtFl.jpg

Lili Sumner
Giles+Fall+2014+Backstage+Ni6jiMvvlBNl.jpg

Marie Piovesan (shocked no one mentioned her!)
Christopher+Kane+Fall+2014+Backstage+SO3jN8uxgRyl.jpg

Milena Golfetto
Blugirl+Fall+2014+Backstage+HFJ5jpXY8D5l.jpg

Sabrina Ioffreda
Altuzarra+Fall+2014+Backstage+6itBxCZ_LY2l.jpg

Wanessa Milhomem
Christian+Siriano+Fall+2014+Backstage+2yoA7wpRLd2l.jpg

Yulia Musieichuk
John+Galliano+Fall+2014+Backstage+PIhrqPcyMWol.jpg

all pictures stylebistro

I've been debating this over and over - do you guys think Zuzanna Bijoch could be considered as jolie laide?

Caroline Farneman

6CXTrlQl.jpg

mode.newslicious.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
Zuzanna Bijoch jolie laide? Never. She's such a natural beauty to me. I don't see anything "laid" in her at all.

After mentioning Sam Rollinson, I thought about Franzi Mueller. But I'm not sure whether I can put her in the "jolie/laide" category. She always reminds me of a witch. I'm sure most of any people non-particularly interested in fashion would not find her pretty. She has such a complexion in her face that makes her unforgettable.

I don't think Guinevere falls into this category. She posseses an ethereal kind of beauty, there's nothing quirky about her features nor does she have that certain roughness, if anything she has a refined beauty imo. Having an unconventional look doesn't automatically count someone as jolie laide.

Lily McMenamy, however, is irredeemably beyond jolie laide.

I agree that it's extremely subjective what one sees as 'jolie laide'. But I always have a hard time considering anyone "ugly" when they have perfectly symmetrical facial features, which a lot of the named models certainly have. I find myself admiring so many different types of "beautiful", but small imperfections like gapped teeth or exaggerated facial features (à la Marina Nery, Daphne Groeneveld, etc.) can hardly make someone jolie laide, which of course is only my opinion. As long as they still have perfect bone structure and beautiful skin they are most likely still going to be considered simply beautiful by a lot of people, even if their type of beauty may not be favored by a large majority.

Models who have non-symmetrical facial features - Ashleigh Good, Brogan Loftus, Nadine Strittmatter, etc. - fit my definition of jolie laide much more. They are not "pretty" in the traditional sense, but they have strong expressions or a certain attitude that makes them striking and beautiful anyway.

Anyone a fan of these models? Watch Saint Laurent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->