Most Overpriced Designer? #3

Nobody, except YohjiAddict, needs a friggin' deerskin face-mask. $108. (src: shopyohjiyamamoto.com)

HD-A99-710_1-3.jpg

Definitely on my wishlist, mine and that of the members of the now defunct StyleZeitgeist forum...we are a hivemind still today.

Does anyone know the article about how brands are now pricing extremely high because they are banking on people buying more during sales or something like that? I can't remember the paper or title and I thought it was in this thread but I can't find it for the life of me :(

It really is unreal to me that anyone keeps paying for Zimmermann. Still made in China as always but every season the prices go up and still every woman in Sydney buys. The margins on these must be astounding.
Shelly Halter Bow Midi Dress

Ok so idk where I have been but I just heard about a price increase at Chanel. Just looked it up... are people really gonna be paying this much for a classic flap?? That is INSANE. There has to be a point where people start to realize they are being ripped off... I feel like they are overplaying their hand here but I could totally be wrong.
Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 4.51.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 4.49.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 4.55.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 4.50.24 PM.png

Last edited:
^If I'm not wrong, they want to increase the price of a classic flap in medium size by more than $1000 compared to the price from last year.

^^ Interesting! I remember not long ago when very similar Chanel bags were ~$2500 or so? Didn't buy one then, and won't buy one now :wink:

Yes, I still remember when the flap was like 3000 dollars...the silhouette is too nouveau riche tbh and there are a ton of bags on the vintage market but if east asians have that much money to burn...

Chanel was one of the very few stores in Soho NYC, that during lockdown always had a long line outside, even on the coldest days of winter. Mostly an asian demographic. I don't think they have overplayed their hand. Surely they have analyst and have done market research that show they will still be able to move these bags.

I think that overtime they will have to lower the production of those classic bags.

But in reality, the seasonal bags are still acceptable in terms of prices.
They are really raising the prices of the flagship bags.

But people love Chanel bags so…

WTF :blink:Sometimes I feel we come back to 80s when fashion house sold too much licence, but back then they cared about good quality runway clothes.
dior.png
dior.com

^It'll come back to bite them in the a**, the name Dior is alright for very fine porcelain, Disneyland souvenir cups is reaching too low.

WTF :blink:Sometimes I feel we come back to 80s when fashion house sold too much licence, but back then they cared about good quality runway clothes.
View attachment 1179604
dior.com

The name "Dior" means nothing anymore, it has been completely ruined by the people that work in merchandising and marketing, who have completely cheapened the brand image for the sake of profit. The arrival of Kim Jones and the marketing gimmicks that followed really destroyed the prestige of Dior irreversibly. It's so hype-beast-y and attention grabbing, vacuous and cringe-y. The arrival of Kim Jones, his infinite "collabs", and the people that he surrounds himself with, really started their downfall. Add to that all the incredibly tacky capsule collections (Dioriviera, Dioramour, etc etc) and the reliance on the vulgar Dior oblique pattern, and voila!

Dior will never be able to compete with Chanel in terms of prestige, let's be honest. It is what they are striving for, but it is something they will never achieve.

View attachment 1179604
dior.com
The irony is that I sometimes find the Dior Maison line interesting. I mean those products are well made in Limoges and they are keeping artisans busy but adapting MGC’s work to homewear is so tacky. I would love to meet those people who buys those obvious products!

I remember when I was at Dover Street Market New York a couple of years ago and I came across a set of Gucci furniture. I kind of laughed to myself a little. The wooden chairs resembled that of something you would find at an antique store in the countryside. If my memory serves me correct each chair was going for around $3,000. This idea of these houses transforming into “lifestyle” brands has never really sat right with me for some reason. It is kind of corny if you really think about it.

Here, let me paint you a picture, “You are sitting down in your Parisian apartment, sipping tea out of an Dior cup, eating a croissant on a Dior plate, scrolling through Instagram on your iPhone with a Dior case, wearing a Dior tracksuit, have the Dior saddle bag across your chest, and snap a selfie of yourself with Dior sunglasses and logo-clad bucket hat”. Sh*t, I think I just gave Bryan Boy a new idea for an Instagram post!

^^^ 20 some odd years ago when Gucci reigned by the highest standards that was Tom, I remember some gorgeous lounges/chairs that seems like such a natural progression/extension of his design sensibility. And same with Armani as well. It all seems more of an exclusive and quiet addition that enhanced their rarified world rather than pollute it; like an Hermes saddle seems so natural for that customer who owned horses. It’s so inexcusably loud, tacky and camp nowadays that only a gay cartoon like Bryanboy would covet.

I wonder if top tier luxury fashion brand will ever lose their prestige once developing into lifestyle brands. After all I still consider them holding the highest standard of clothing.

I wonder if top tier luxury fashion brand will ever lose their prestige once developing into lifestyle brands. After all I still consider them holding the highest standard of clothing.
No…Simply because those products are most of time exclusives to boutiques (or a small selection in e-shops) and the majority of customers doesn’t seem to have the courage to just go and buy plates from Dior or Hermès. And lifestyle products are generally products that are associated with a certain lifestyle…

When you buy a Dior Book tote that you wear with your Dior bucket hat, there’s a chance that you want people to know that you are wearing Dior.

If you buy a whole Dior Service set, I think your house might be the showstopper because clearly you needs to allow to that intimacy in order to showcase your designers goods.

Here, let me paint you a picture, “You are sitting down in your Parisian apartment, sipping tea out of an Dior cup, eating a croissant on a Dior plate, scrolling through Instagram on your iPhone with a Dior case, wearing a Dior tracksuit, have the Dior saddle bag across your chest, and snap a selfie of yourself with Dior sunglasses and logo-clad bucket hat”. Sh*t, I think I just gave Bryan Boy a new idea for an Instagram post!
I think you might have described Cordelia de Castellane’s life (even if she is too classy to wear logo pieces and I’ve never seen her with logos actually). She is the CD of Dior Maison…And you know, the icing on the cake is that she is also the CD of Dior Baby…

Now because of you, I wonder what BB’s home look like.

The irony is that I sometimes find the Dior Maison line interesting. I mean those products are well made in Limoges and they are keeping artisans busy but adapting MGC’s work to homewear is so tacky. I would love to meet those people who buys those obvious products!

No, you would not :lol:

Bottega Veneta used to have a home line (not sure about present state) that was a very nice, obviously unbranded, extension of their leather goods--intrecciato furniture and the like. Hermes IMO also has interesting home products. I like the things they make from their leather scraps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->