Most Overpriced Designer? #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could buy all the materials at a craft store and make that bag for less than 20 dollars. :lol:

No thanks, I can buy a Hermes one for only $20,000

hermes5-2_thumb.jpg

fashionizers

Givenchy Spring 2015 dress.

$19,000
_MON0817.jpg

style.com

Nina Ricci Fall Winter 2009

Nina+Ricci+Fall+2009+Details+jb4IiePnq2hl.jpg

Leather Heel-less Platform Boots - £4,300

Balmain Fall Winter 2009

Balmain+Fall+2009+-5rrjn3DeRIl.jpg

Leather and Chain Dress - £9,435

Tom Ford Fall Winter 2011

Silk and Velvet Dress - £7,590

Alexander McQueen Fall Winter 2009 (I don't think this is overpriced, I'm just posting this incase people were ever intrigued to know how much it cost)

Alexander+McQueen+Fall+2009+RgE3LwiVRyQl.jpg

Tulle and Feather Gown - £6,260

*Stylebistro.com & fashionising.com

^That McQueen dress is one of my favorite dresses ever and I always wondered how much it cost. I expected double or triple that price to be honest.

^That McQueen dress is one of my favorite dresses ever and I always wondered how much it cost. I expected double or triple that price to be honest.

same! it actually seems... cheap, all things considered. and considering it's 3000 pounds less than that useless balmain leather dress

How the hell that Givenchy dress is more expensive than that McQueen gown?

^^ i'm guessing it's in man hours...

it's all hand crocheted lace...
takes longer to crochet lace than to pluck a chicken...

:innocent:...

^^ i'm guessing it's in man hours...

it's all hand crocheted lace...
takes longer to crochet lace than to pluck a chicken...

:innocent:...

But how was that McQueen dress made? It looks almost like a couture piece, and silk and feathers can be expensive. I expected that dress to be like $40,000. At its real price it's a steal, that's the most sensibly priced designer piece I've ever encountered

again- i'm guessing...
but it takes great skill that is hard to find to do that kind of crocheted lace so my guess it that you have to pay more to the artisan...
than to say - an intern sewing feathers in the same direction over and over...

who knows?
it's all cray cray~!
:lol:

i think the comparison between the mcqueen and the givenchy gown doesn't take into consideration that there's 6 years between them and inflation and increases in prices of luxury goods have happened. (and also hype, lol)
whereas the balmain dress and the mcqueen one are from the same year, that really makes no sense to me

That McQueen gown cannot be that cheap?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

But how was that McQueen dress made? It looks almost like a couture piece, and silk and feathers can be expensive. I expected that dress to be like $40,000. At its real price it's a steal, that's the most sensibly priced designer piece I've ever encountered

It does look like a couture piece, I highly doubt that £6,260 can be the correct price, add a zero after the first six and I'd be more likely to accept it.

The shape itself is couture - the enormous fishtail and the strapless bodice would require a huge amount of inner structure.
Then there's the price of the meters of silk the feathers are applied to, then the black silk lining.
It's not likely that the McQueen team just happened to find feathers on a roll that matched the palette of the collection - the feathers would be dyed, half red, half black, and my knowledge doesn't extend to feather application, but it wouldn't have been a hilarious job I'm sure.
From the striped look of the colours, perhaps the feathers came attached to tape they then layered (tile-like) on top of each other, therefore enabling a machinist to do it. Either way, it would have taken hours and hours.
Interns probably did slave over this dress into 36 hour days for the show, but labour is labour and how many of these dresses are going to be made? If you wanted to buy this dress I'm definite it wouldn't be a four figure sum.

The thing about the McQueen (the same for the Tom Ford) is that even if the one on the runway was made in the atelier of McQueen, the embroideries the on real one in the store were made in India. The same for Tom Ford.
Even if the craftmanship is exceptionnal, you cannot compare it to Givenchy that can afford the work of a parisian, couture atelier.

Ok, 13000£ is very expensive but it was made in France by the Givenchy atelier.

Salvatore Ferragamo Intarsia Mink Coat
$89,000
MARC0803.jpg

Style/Moda Operandi

Saint Laurent
Studded bamboo tote € 1,589

mytheresa.com
Japan - ¥ 299,000 - € 2 277 - $ 2 473
mytheresa new price - € 1,890 (for EU) $ 2,750 (for US)

The thing about the McQueen (the same for the Tom Ford) is that even if the one on the runway was made in the atelier of McQueen, the embroideries the on real one in the store were made in India. The same for Tom Ford.
Even if the craftmanship is exceptionnal, you cannot compare it to Givenchy that can afford the work of a parisian, couture atelier.

Thanks for that insight! I didn't know that was an industry practice.

Just curious as to how you know this? I didn't know this and am curious to know more.

i just read an interview with karl lagerfeld in the nytimes who talked about how few houses still maintain the standard of quality in their workmanship...
he named two ateliers outside of chanel...

one was givenchy...(where mcqueen once worked- so he probably learned some tricks!)

the other was dior...(it bears noting here - this is the standard john galliano is used to working with)

article
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/f...ur-yea-selfies-nay-and-keeping-busy.html?_r=0

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->