Prada S/S 2013 Milan

Am I the only one who thought this collection was perfect...? The structure was 100% fantastic. I loved it to death. Is it her best collection ever? No. But I think it's up there. But face it everyone, you'll think it's horrific now, but like every season you'll love it next week. That's what Pradiac Arrest is.

And I thought the shoes were amazing, I've never seen anything like it. The Japanese used a lot of platforms in terms of ancient Japan. And those weren't socks, they were just shoes that had a very small sole on it. Almost like a slipper?

I've not read all the pages yet ...
But when I see Dadaism associated with Prada, I just wanna jump and hit people with books ... :angry:
Please check what was Dada, in what context they worked, against what, who they were, what they did ... And then think again of this association Prada and Dada ... There's only rhyme ...

Miuccia is part of the bourgeoisie world, part of the rich people. And at the same time her style is like a punch on the face of that world.

I see dada style in the black & white floral prints over the dresses and jackets. They look placed in an anarchical way. And they remind me of Man Ray work.

I also see dada in the nonsensical way she played with obis.

But that´s my point of view. Any art movement can be translated into fashion, as you know.

And please, take care of books. They´ll never use you to hit other books.

Last edited by a moderator:
In theory this could have been a really intriguing collection but in actuality I'm just not feeling it. Though I think it's interesting that she's put a twist on the use of flowers found as a motif in Asian cultures and given it a bit of a 60's vibe. But for me, my main issue with the collection is the way it was actually designed. It just feels like they made a garment and then sewed on bits of other fabric, sometimes with flower design, on top of it. And to me that feels cheap. I suppose I just expected more. Plus, I can't help but notice that in some of the HQ's there seems to be a tugging at the fabric in some areas and that it wasn't ironed/steamed properly so you see wrinkles. I know it's partially the fabric that's being used that causes it to wrinkle but you would think that for a runway show they would've gotten them out. The wrinkles sort of go against the stiff nature of the garments.

Miuccia is part of the bourgeoisie world, part of the rich people. And at the same time her style is like a punch on the face of that world.

I see dada style in the black & white floral prints over the dresses and jackets. They look placed in an anarchical way. And they remind me of Man Ray work.

I also see dada in the nonsensical way she played with obis.

But that´s my point of view. Any art movement can be translated into fashion, as you know.

And please, take care of books. They´ll never use you to hit other books.

Seconds out. Round one to Jean Claude :D The books bit was like a sort of animism reference? Surreal. BTW BerlinRocks - I come in peace and just well meaning banter - hope you see the funny side as intended.

I see a connect between Prada's postmodernism and a Dadaist sensibility and method. There is a path between Dadaism and PoMo. See somewhere between Guy Debord and PoMo theorists of spacial organisation, architecture, design. It's in the way she twists everything back around on itself; carries contradictions; works with fabrics of motifs she hates; in her deconstruction.

In theory this could have been a really intriguing collection but in actuality I'm just not feeling it. Though I think it's interesting that she's put a twist on the use of flowers found as a motif in Asian cultures and given it a bit of a 60's vibe. But for me, my main issue with the collection is the way it was actually designed. It just feels like they made a garment and then sewed on bits of other fabric, sometimes with flower design, on top of it. And to me that feels cheap. I suppose I just expected more. Plus, I can't help but notice that in some of the HQ's there seems to be a tugging at the fabric in some areas and that it wasn't ironed/steamed properly so you see wrinkles. I know it's partially the fabric that's being used that causes it to wrinkle but you would think that for a runway show they would've gotten them out. The wrinkles sort of go against the stiff nature of the garments.

Totally agree. The flower print is ruining the Japanese-minimalism as stripped-down sportswear feel of this collection. The flower-motif, particularly in the opening, just looks sloppy and cheap-- and not cheap as in that so ironic Prada manner of using nylon to construct bespoke suits, but cheap as in hippies silk-screening and stenciling juvenile designs on t-shirts. I hate it, and I'm certain I won't like it 2 weeks from now. I think it ruins the silhouette.

As for the footwear, I like it. It's the extreme end of Prada's footwear design as toys. Her footwear have alway had a strong fetish-vibe, and like all fetishes, it's not for everyone. The toy-like and very plastic look of the footwear works so well with the geometric sportswear silhouette. Just wish the juvenile flower-design were eliminated from her equation during the final editing process of this collection. It's a weak and lazy gimmick that drags an otherwise sleek and lighthearted collection down.

i don't hate this!
it takes balls to create something like that! i agree about the punch in the face of the bourgeoise!
the stuff still depicts the image prada created ages ago - "i'm a strong and a hot woman, and this is how look today, if you don't like it go f*** yourselves!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the collection images again after watching the live stream I've realized what spoilt this (aside from those awful shoes)... the floral prints, if you take away those awful, childlike floral motifs the pieces are quite beautiful, the overall silhouettes, fabrics, structures are quite nice.

After the spectacular S/S 13' collection for men I was expecting something along those lines for women, but I'm absolutely shocked that this is what we got.

The shoes were awful, the overall concept was quite genius but the final article was a disaster, those metallic camel-toe socks that screamed Martin Margiela were incredibly ugly and those flat-form/geisha sandals were just hideous, I just cannot see how the footwear will be interpreted for the customer because they seem very impractical.

I do however love all of the fashion editors tweets regarding the collection, calling it 'sheer genius' it proves shove a Prada label on any old piece of tat and they'll buy it with Miuccia's seal of approval, it had potential but sadly it fell flat, and as I said to someone else, we were given such an epic Fall collection and we get this for spring ?

I did however love the set, as always.

I think however this is probably one of those collections that was executed atrociously on the catwalk but once broken down in store it'll be pretty successful and quite tasteful, but the styling really didn't help this for me.

completely agree with all of what you said. The clothing construction-wise is beautiful but I cannot get past those prints.:yuk:

Prada is always push the envelope to me, the stylists and editors would love this collection. I want to see it too how they could cope an idea with this collection.

I really loved this collection, my favourite show since FW 2011

I really love this! The prints and the embellishments are really lovely. Dreamy Japan! I kinda like how cheeky the floral prints are but over all they add chicness to the total looks. I kinda like this one.

Although, I must admit, the shoes were really horrible. I don`t get their slightest connection to the collection. I`ve been staring at each one of them and can`t fight any attribute that would make it relatable to the pieces. Weird

Well... I really disliked that "car" collection with the 50s nostalgia and references to being "sweet".

So: this is a welcome change for me. I like it! There, phew, I said it.

It has the geisha references, yes, but there's a toughness here in all the folds and flowers. Everything is undercut (overcut?). And the 60s references, too, in the daises and minis, suggest a more liberated self. Those totally rad sunglasses seem very sixties, B) as do some of the bags, too.The shoes, of course, are silly, but they're part of the whole, the metonymic drift, you could say. Here, she plays. Just like those car shoes! :rolleyes:

The folding made me think of Christopher Kane's collection for Spring; he too manipulated fabric back on itself like that. He tacked it with a bolt, she with another fold.

The collection seems like a mix of Japanese hyperrealism, 60s nostalgia, and a nod to the future as well. For me, it works.

I think this would have been fine as a Miu Miu collection, but it seems unsophisticated for Prada. Also, the Warhol daisies on the fur pieces remind me of last seasons Comme Des Garçons (but without the joy). But mostly I'm just dissappionted that these satiny sixties couture shapes look so much in line with what many others are showing this season...I expect Miuccia to go left when everyone else goes right, to be a season ahead of everyone else, not right on top of the commercial trend of the moment.

I dont see anything bad about shoes. They look freaky but they will find their customers. But guys, what do you think about that ugly flowers??? They look so cheap and exactly because of them clothes look not so good. Why she decided to put that childish (not in the good way) flowers instead more realistic flower print?
Silhouttes of the collection are not bad - the mix of futuristic and japanese style.
Im so glad that the year of Prada away from us because I cant imagine people wearing this on red carpets. The circus

I loved all of the re-interpreted kimono blouses and dresses, they were fantastic. :heart: I was expecting fur but I wasn't quite sure how she would do it and I'm pleasantly surprised with what she chose. In my mind Prada didn't do shoes this season. :wink: I'll just ignore those monstrosities.

i was in shock watching the livestream
first thing that came in my mind was mourning for the current economic situation in Europe
then i thought pleasing the affluent Asian client
and at the end, i thought 'what a mess'

like so many said here, the collection was probably done in a hurry, with tight budget, and in a depressive mood.
i so agree with those CDG, Junya and MMM references that took all the Prada out of this collection.

true, there are 4 great looks like the simple blue dress, the fun eyewear or the satin two piece just before the finale but still, to me this is the worst Prada collection to date.

i'll skip the tabi shoe-socks and the silly flipflop platforms

The show played out to the mournful voice of Megumi Satsu, singing in French in the early 1980s about love and about suicide.
suicidical indeed and a real sad collection

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->