Most Overpriced Designer? #3

Why create something like this and feature it so prominently when it will never sell? Prada RTW these days is not worth half, or even a quarter of what they charge.
Prada is such a mess, no wonder why Alaïa, Helmut and Jil tan screaming.

They're obviously trying to make Prada great again with Raf's appointment, but it's not working with this weird "simple offering × elevated price" strategy.
Patrizio Bertelli should look at Bottega Veneta as a good example of what today's Prada should be.

The house needs excitement again for the new generation.

Prada is such a mess, no wonder why Alaïa, Helmut and Jil tan screaming.

They're obviously trying to make Prada great again with Raf's appointment, but it's not working with this weird "simple offering × elevated price" strategy.
Patrizio Bertelli should look at Bottega Veneta as a good example of what today's Prada should be.

The house needs excitement again for the new generation.
Alaia was good under Prada tbh….
Azzedine wasn’t one to mess with so Bertelli was maybe more diplomatic. The accessories of Alaia really elevated when he started working with Prada and even more when people like Samuele Failli got involved…

‘Tbh, the skirt is cute but at that price, I wonder who is the customer. I’ve been a Prada customer, I know people who buys Prada but a 15000$ skirt? I can imagine someone spending that much on a one of a kind coat but a skirt? At Prada…Of all brands?
And that triangle…

I hope Ladies in Asian high society cycles won’t fall for this trap.

PRADA Embroidered satin midi-skirt - $15,800

View attachment 1233678
They can't be serious with this... I know silk satin and duchess have gone up in price per/m over the years but bloody hell this is ridiculous. And to have the embroideries look like used disinfectant wipes makes the pricing even more laughable.

AUD pricing for this is $21000, which is a decent home deposit amount. The second most expensive skirt is $6300. I really don't understand this. I do, but I don't.

Saying that it is "From the Runway" must be working though because it is nearly sold out here in Australia.

They can't be serious with this... I know silk satin and duchess have gone up in price per/m over the years but bloody hell this is ridiculous. And to have the embroideries look like used disinfectant wipes makes the pricing even more laughable.

AUD pricing for this is $21000, which is a decent home deposit amount. The second most expensive skirt is $6300. I really don't understand this. I do, but I don't.

Saying that it is "From the Runway" must be working though because it is nearly sold out here in Australia.
Not really. The first pieces of this season have been dropped a few days ago. Many of those, are not even available when trying to look for the product information. This skirt is going to be limited but is not nearly sold out at all.

Is it me or has every brand gotten ridiculously expensive for no reason since the pandemic? Prada, Miu Miu, Bottega Veneta and the like are now selling basic jackets for 2-4K EUR, a price point that I could swear was mostly reserved for unique leather or embroidered pieces just a few years ago. And like, how is a brand like The Frankie Shop now doing price increases twice a year??

Is it me or has every brand gotten ridiculously expensive for no reason since the pandemic? Prada, Miu Miu, Bottega Veneta and the like are now selling basic jackets for 2-4K EUR, a price point that I could swear was mostly reserved for unique leather or embroidered pieces just a few years ago. And like, how is a brand like The Frankie Shop now doing price increases twice a year??
it's not just you. i was at a prada boutique in london and their nylon jackets were in excess of £2000. a few wool jackets approaching £4000. it's getting ridiculous.

I suspect inflation has a lot to do with it. Not only have the cost of production and supply chain disruptions increased pricetags, but the consumer demand for luxury items is still high.

I suspect inflation has a lot to do with it. Not only have the cost of production and supply chain disruptions increased pricetags, but the consumer demand for luxury items is still high.

this is a farce mostly. The consumer demand is not what they want us to think. These brands have tons on merchandise, warehouses full of previous seasons that they haven’t been able to offload at outlets and even their employees sales where they sell at cost or lower.

They don’t know what to do because you can no longer destroy clothes in the name of sustainability and the alternatives would damage brand image and cache.

this is a farce mostly. The consumer demand is not what they want us to think. These brands have tons on merchandise, warehouses full of previous seasons that they haven’t been able to offload at outlets and even their employees sales where they sell at cost or lower.

They don’t know what to do because you can no longer destroy clothes in the name of sustainability and the alternatives would damage brand image and cache.

The excuses of price increases using input cost inflation, supply chain issues, regional price harmonization as justification are as sad and tired as the racks of previous season clothes gathering dust and mildew and being eaten by moths in dreary warehouses.

It seems to me that these brands have backed themselves at a corner. They raised prices so much that only the extremely wealthy can regularly afford it. Now that lock downs are over and mass luxury clients have had their revenge shopping moment, the aspirational market is now confronted with depleted savings and increasing core inflation pressures, leaving little to no room for discretionary purchases.

These brands really delude themselves by saying that only the truly affluent market matters to them. The aggressive price increases for the last three years speak to this. But let's be real - the growth engine of these brands is the aspirational consumer. The logos and streetwear that all heritage luxury brands have been stuffing down everyone's collective throat attest to that.

We'd probably see some of these brands still get some growth in the next couple of quarters, and this will embolden some brands to still increase price by 30%+ p.a., but it would be interesting to see how things unfold in a year or so.

The reason behind these crazy prices ? Greed. That’s all.

When they see Bernard Arnault getting richer and richer, they want their coins too. :grinningwsweat:

I have not bought anything at Prada for years. So far Celine and Loewe.

At this point I prefer to buy stocks…

In my job sometimes I saw price goods from high fashion after produce, final production costs are not that high for most goods.

Prada is still popular during in strange circles people, for example when read reports about politics/financial scams, when their describe what gangsters wear very often mention Prada.

Moreover, a lot of young girls bought the mini skirts. They send tons of clothes for influencers. They know that the majority of their customer is uneducated and don't care about quality and eye-catching design.

In my job sometimes I saw price goods from high fashion after produce, final production costs are not that high for most goods.

Prada is still popular during in strange circles people, for example when read reports about politics/financial scams, when their describe what gangsters wear very often mention Prada.

Moreover, a lot of young girls bought the mini skirts. They send tons of clothes for influencers. They know that the majority of their customer is uneducated and don't care about quality and eye-catching design.

I suspect it's easily a tenfold margin between the production cost and the price tag. The rest is promotion and real estate and gross margin.

The prices of the new Burberry… my god.
The new website is very great and the new logo works!
Burberry products overall needs to have the input of Daniel Lee because the classic line looks suddenly very tacky.

‘But those prices!!!
I’m ok with spending that type of money at Louis Vuitton!
How a runway Burberry coat is more expensive than a Gucci one? How can a pair of leather pants from Burberry costs more than YSL?

‘I know they have goals to reach and people to make happy and while the bags are great and desirable, for a brand that makes the majority of it revenues on RTW, that positioning is a bit puzzling to me.

Burberry products overall needs to have the input of Daniel Lee because the classic line looks suddenly very tacky.

‘But those prices!!!
How a runway Burberry coat is more expensive than a Gucci one? How can a pair of leather pants from Burberry costs more than YSL?

‘I know they have goals to reach and people to make happy and while the bags are great and desirable, for a brand that makes the majority of it revenues on RTW, that positioning is a bit puzzling to me.
Agree. I must say that when they presented the collection, it didn't catch my attention and I felt disappointed. But now, I must say that the website and the product images are that great that are making me to desire a few items... except for the price.

‘But those prices!!!

Are you not interested in the feathered gown at only 57.000 Euros? :grinningsquinting:

I agree that the prices are insane and in their insanity on par with other brands such as Prada, new Bottega etc. Have to admit that the Burberry merchandising is very well done and eye-catching.
I guess they're really trying to cater to a very fashion minded clientele with this, the selection is far from boring or discrete.
Normally I'd say this is retail gold, but I'm not sure how clients are going to react to the prices and also how they're going attract that specific clientele who maybe don't have the brand on their radar yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->