UK Vogue June 2009 : Natalia Vodianova by Mario Testino

The Roversi/Guinevere edit is very interesting. Very dark and dangerous, and even a bit macabre. It reminds me of Harlequinn from the Batman cartoon :lol:. I like the styling, well what I can see, and Guinevere looks beautiful. What really irks me though, is when there is a really great concept to an edit, and there are a few great fashion shots, but the rest are close-ups/minimally clothed shots. I find that VI does that a lot too. It just really damages the overall effect, IMO.

The only neon cover that I loved of U.K. Vogue was Agyness Deyn's June 2007 cover. Everything about it was so genius and Pop and just fun! And she looked so amazing, albeit super-airbrushed :lol:! That is probably one of the best, if not the best, U.K. Vogue covers of recent memory.

July 2007 was the only exception for the Neon fonts. Only because theme of the cover was Neon. But I don't expect to see bright colours next to a draped Christian Lacroix chiffon minidress. It just didn't work for me.

I look forward to seeing the 'More Dash Than Cash' section, recently in UK Vogue. But this is disappointing. Maybe I am going back to not getting Jourdan Dunn's appeal.

I've seen that cover image somewhere. I feel like it's been done with clothes on.
Its alright.

Thanks for all the eds people!

Second Quote
I've seen that cover image somewhere. I feel like it's been done with clothes on.

I was talking about this :

Scanned by Manuva
images.google.com

Last edited by a moderator:
i like cover of fashion magazine without any clothes and accessories, but pose of Beth Ditto for Love was more interesting )

Thanks for all the scans. Lara's ed is really good.

Guinevere's ed looks good too. Quintessential Roversi.

actually HQ cover looks very good;-)))) edits are quite good as well...

Like always, sex sell and is the last resort of desperation during desperate times. This isn't the last time we'll be the witnesses of blatant measures by publishing houses to keep their magazines floating on the dark waters of the financial melt down. Nudity is can be beautiful and it can be hot, in this instance Testino and Vogue have opted for the latter by styling Natalia in naughty pink make-up to make her look seductive as a pin-up girl.

What's lacking is rouge sex appeal possessed by Bundschen and other Brazilian models. Natalia is too sedated to make people's genitalia tingle, she's too tamed to pull of the type of appeal they have attempted.

Though I would go one stage further and say that 'using sex to sell' has been momentarily replaced by a new form of nudity and body focus - 'distortion sells' - as evidenced by the text on this Vogue, and by the Vanity Fair coverline stating why we should be interested about the concept of Jessica Simpson.

It's not about the simple and glorious sight of someone's boobs any more, it's a lot more neurotic than that. Because these are felt to be desperate times in the magazine industry, the tabloid tactics - and subject matter - these editors once considered themselves 'above' are now heavily incorporated into their own survival strategies, thinly clothed in a Vogue veneer.

It's difficult to precisely communicate what I'm trying to say because it veers into subject matter we aren't supposed to discuss outright, so my words are tied - but I don't find the coverline focus on the subject to be at all edifying, although it probably will spark some appeal on the newsstand. It's a commercial exploitation of the dark side of people's interest, whereas before, such magazines at least tried to stay on the right side of how to sell the subject to their readers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I like the supplement cover better. Natalia's face is pretty but her body seem so akward plus I think theres too much text.

Though I would go one stage further and say that 'using sex to sell' has been momentarily replaced by a new form of nudity and body focus - 'distortion sells' - as evidenced by the text on this Vogue, and by the Vanity Fair coverline stating why we should be interested about the concept of Jessica Simpson.

It's not about the simple and glorious sight of someone's boobs any more, it's a lot more neurotic than that. Because these are felt to be desperate times in the magazine industry, the tabloid tactics - and subject matter - these editors once considered themselves 'above' are now heavily incorporated into their own survival strategies, thinly clothed in a Vogue veneer.

It's difficult to precisely communicate what I'm trying to say because it veers into subject matter we aren't supposed to discuss outright, so my words are tied - but I don't find the coverline focus on the subject to be at all edifying, although it probably will spark some appeal on the newsstand. It's a commercial exploitation of the dark side of people's interest.

Amen. I agree with every word you said, but this phrase particularly. Fashion magazines are rarely about fashion (or even aesthetics) anymore. They are more about complex industry politics, kissing a**, and catering to the upper establishment. We've seen a lot of tabloid-like reporting as of late (especially at Conde Nast publications) and it really makes one ponder about the state of the fashion publishing industry. It's actually quite frightening.

okay, the cover, for me, is quite good but i just feel natalia's pose is kind of irritating. i mean, she could have done other poses while covering the private parts.

guinevere's ed is fantastic! :smile:

That cover shot looks like it belongs on the Playboy cover not Vogue.

Dear Ms. Schulman,

When will Jourdan have her own cover?

What's lacking is rouge sex appeal possessed by Bundschen and other Brazilian models. Natalia is too sedated to make people's genitalia tingle, she's too tamed to pull of the type of appeal they have attempted.

I completely disagree. Have you seen her Shalimar commercial?

I love Nata n her cover is stunning, n i like her pose, it's really a good choice for a cover, i m sure this issue will sell great

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew637
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->