V Magazine #72 Fall Preview 2011 : Penelope Cruz by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

Holy! Paris looking high fashion and like a model? What has the world come to? She is almost unrecognizable. It's refreshing to see her try something different. The styling great and she pulls it off effortlessly.

Need HQs of Paris' ed ASAP :shock: It look amazing! I always knew she had potential to do something like that. Dare I say it, she almost looks a bit like Snejana in the second screenshot.

Penélope Cruz Covers V, Talks Motherhood, Johnny Depp
By Emily Gyben 07/07/11 at 04:05 PM
Photo: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott for V

Cruz control: Penélope dominates the August cover of V Magazine.

Penélope Cruz channels Victor/Victoria on the latest cover of V magazine, themed (appropriately) the Transformation issue.

On the graphic neon cover (complete with a blinking-eyes hologram!), the gorgeous star sports a Ralph Lauren tuxedo and bold red lips—while inside, she goes femme fatale in a slinky black dress by Halston and white shearling Bill Blass vest, topped off with a massive Neil Lane cocktail ring.

“Something happens that is really addictive about the investigation,” she said of her own research on the roles she plays. “It’s a beautiful thing. You can go into a different state when you are portraying somebody … A part of you becomes almost obsessed with that other being. That is the feeling that I look for.”

She’s had that feeling in her personal life as well, the actress revealed. “The biggest transformation is becoming a mother,” she said. “It changes you forever.”

While Cruz stays mum on her impressively private relationship with husband Javier Bardem, there’s another man in her life she’s not afraid to dish about: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides co-star Johnny Depp.

“Johnny wears everything better than I do,” she said. “He even wore a dress in the movie he did with Javier, Before Night Falls. He wore that dress really well.”

We don’t know, that Halston number looks pretty amazing …

fashionetc.com

http://i44.***********/u/f44/12/44/90/59/20110710.jpg
fashionetc.com

Last edited by a moderator:
This is shaping up to be a good issue. The Paris pictures look promising. Probably due to the low quality but she looks like Karoline Kurkova in some pics.

Here is antoher interesting piece from this issue (thanks to Tarsha)

V #72 Preview, Naomi Ruiz by Inez & Vinoodh

Nicola Formichetti’s New Muse, Nomi Ruiz, in V

Known for transforming relative unknowns into stars (Rico, and to some degree Lady Gaga), Nicola Formichetti has plucked his latest muse, transgender singer Nomi Ruiz, from Brooklyn. You can spot her in the campaign film for Formichetti's latest Mugler menswear collection (she's the one vamping on the bed in the bondage scene), and her band, Jessica 6, did the soundtrack for part of the movie as well as the show. Formichetti also styled Nomi for a spread in the forthcoming issue of V, shot by Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin. In the corresponding interview, Ruiz talks about her transformation from man to woman, which had the unexpected side effect of free caffeine: "I just remember people being nicer to me and offering me free things all the time ... I would go to the bodega and get a coffee and the guy would be like, 'No, it's on me.'"

nymag

The Business of Being Paris
Paris Hilton by Daniele + Iango

Paris Hilton, pop culture phenomenon, speaks in two distinct voices. There’s the coquettish, sweet, high-pitched, girly affectation that’s been well-documented in TV shows and personal appearances around the world, associated with phrases like “That’s hot” and “Loves it.” And then, when Hilton is among friends and business associates, there’s a deeper, more gruff tone, devoid of flirtation and flippancy, used to discuss facts and figures, scandals and stalkers.

Conversation with Hilton reveals both voices; she knows precisely when to use which and, more importantly, which is more effective to make a given point. Right now, we’re discussing her personal business empire, which includes seventeen unique product lines. Using her serious voice, she lists them: “Fragrances; clothing; shoes; dog accessories and other pet products; watches; hair products; lingerie; scrapbook and art supplies.” She pauses, then says in her girly voice, for comedic effect, “Did I already say shoes?”
These dueling tones are entertaining. Who are her fashion icons? In the serious voice: “I have always admired Marilyn Monroe, because the camera loved her. Audrey Hepburn, for being so classic. And Kate Moss.” In the girly voice: “But I’m very fun, and I’m very daring. I don’t copy anybody. I’m like my own Barbie doll!”

What about business? Girly voice: “I make stuff that’s cute!” She deflects inquiries about how much she and her company are worth: “My mom always told me it’s obnoxious to discuss money.” Then she switches to the serious voice: “I’ve always looked up to Oprah Winfrey and Martha Stewart,” she says, without a shred of irony. At first, I find this amusing. But she cuts short my laughter, in her serious voice, saying, “There’s a lot that goes into this. It didn’t just happen. I’ve worked for fifteen years.”

While there have been bumpy moments in Hilton’s ascent—a leaked sex tape and jail time come to mind—this verbal dichotomy points to what has held the public’s interest for a decade. Yes, she’s self-effacing and a part-time ditz, but behind every loopy comment is a shrewd businesswoman.

It’s the day after her V photo shoot, and Hilton, on just two hours sleep, from three to five a.m., has been doing back-to-back promotions, radio call-ins, and interviews for her new Oxygen TV show, The World According to Paris. She hopes the series, for which she was filmed “from the moment I woke up to the moment I went to bed,” all around the world, for months, will give her a greater platform to share both these voices.

The origins of her girly voice make for an interesting story. As she explains, it was crafted on her first television hit, 2003’s The Simple Life, the pioneering reality show that made household names of her and then-unknown Nicole Richie, and inspired an entire TV genre. “They told me to play a character: Green Acres meets Clueless,” she says. “I didn’t realize the show would go on for so many seasons and I’d have to continue doing that character. But you know what? It was comfortable, because I was shy and I could hide behind that persona.”

It’s hard to imagine that a girl whose entire career began with paparazzi pictures is shy, but Hilton says that before she moved to New York, she was an introverted tomboy who preferred the outdoors to parties. (She wanted to be a veterinarian when she was little, until, she says, in her girly voice, “I learned you had to give them shots and put them to sleep, so I didn’t want that anymore.”)

Stardom, she recalls, came in a flash. “I moved to New York when I was 15 and got invited to all these clubs and parties, and this whole socialite scene opened up for me—that’s when it all changed.” Her parents wanted her to stay in school and go to college, but she had other plans. “I didn’t listen to them, I did what I wanted, and the rest is history.

”One party picture led to another, and Paris the brand began to emerge from her sound bites—typically regarding what was hot and what was not—and a never-ending stream of red carpet and Robertson Boulevard appearances. Today, she is indisputably a modern pop icon.

Now just entering her 30s, Hilton, it turns out, is making good use of both of her voices. About her new show, she says, “I love it because it’s showing more of the real me, as a businesswoman, with my friends and my family. I wanted to show what it’s like to be in my world.” The other reason she likes her new show so much? “I get to use my real voice.”

vmagazine

wow! Paris amazed me, not a fan of the first shot, she looks sleepy..but look at the set of the second shots! they're amazing...

The Paris Hilton feature is just embarrassing.

i find the cover to be very enticing.
i cant wait to play with one.

Paris looks completely unrecognizable in some of those shots. I actually thought it was Tasha Tilberg.

Not an overwhelming issue. Although I can't object to Paris Hilton, or Naomi Ruiz by Inez & Vinoodh.

Well, from these pictures it sure looks like Paris is back on, eh, track.

Dress Reversal
Daphne Guinness & Amanda Harlech by Karl Lagerfeld

vmagazine

Penélope Always
Penélope Cruz by Mert & Marcus

Miscellaneous

vmagazine

Out of India
Prince Manvendra Singh Gohil by Steven Klein

WHEN PRINCE MANVENDRA SINGH GOHIL CAME OUT AS GAY, HE ELICITED THE IRE OF HIS ROYAL FAMILY AND THE FASCINATION OF THE ENTIRE WORLD—NOT TO MENTION CLOSET CONFESSIONS FROM MEN AND WOMEN OF HIGH STANDING. NOW, ONLY TRUE LOVE AND AN ADOPTED HEIR CAN COMPLETE HIS STORYBOOK LIFE. HE’S WORKING ON BOTH.

inside photographer Steven Klein’s New York studio, Prince Manvendra Singh Gohil is dressed in an elaborate golden sherwani and turban, sitting for his portrait. A tall, slender man, Gohil is effeminate and gentle, and speaks with a naïveté that belies his 45 years, while at the same time exposing a quiet wisdom. “I’ve found the city very warm, very friendly,” he says. “America is fascinated by royalty more than other parts of the world are, perhaps because this country has never witnessed the excesses of monarchy. It’s like a fairy tale.”
Gohil, the thirty-ninth direct descendant in a 650-year-old dynasty, balks at the idea that his own life, up until 2002, could have actually resembled a fairy tale, despite his baroque upbringing. Born Yuvraj Shri Manvendra Singhji Raghubir Singhji Sahib, in 1965, to the Maharaja of Rajpipla and his wife, the prince grew up in lavish, if not stifling, surroundings. “Being born into the royal family,” he says, “is like being born into a cocoon.”

Gohil first caused a stir in 1991 at the age of 25 when he sought a divorce from his wife of fifteen months. The marriage was unconsummated and, by his own admission, a “total disaster.” His family outraged and his town distraught, Gohil awakened to the possibility that he might be gay. Despite sexual experiences with a servant boy throughout his teens and lingering desires after, Gohil followed the trajectory of a good son: an early, arranged marriage by his mid 20s, with the prospect of children and, most importantly, a future heir. But Gohil derailed that train with his divorce, then lived a decade as a single prince, enduring poking and prodding by family and townspeople. This resulted in a nervous breakdown in 2002, after which Gohil came out to his psychiatrist, who relayed the fact to Gohil’s family. He came out via messenger. And four years later, in 2006, he came out to the public.

Not unexpectedly, the revelation led his family to disown him, but not before a few last-ditch efforts against nature. His famously strong-willed mother consulted physicians about surgery and electroshock therapy that she hoped would turn her son straight. When doctors washed their hands of the situation, she took him to meet with religious and spiritual leaders, many of whom, Gohil claims, were gay themselves. “I would say my mother is a hard nut to crack,” he says. “But she has now come to terms with the reality that I cannot be made straight, that I will die as gay.”

Gohil arrived at Klein’s studio after a whirlwind tour of New York—his first since 1976, when he was just a boy—during which he hosted a lavish charity dinner and met with potential business partners regarding his small but ever-expanding publishing empire as well as his Lakshya Trust, an HIV/AIDS shelter and awareness group he established in 2000 in the Western Indian state of Gujarat. He currently serves as editor and publisher of two magazines, one called Fun, which depicts men and discusses male issues (essentially a gay lifestyle pub), the other Fantasy, which features women in a similar manner and is billed as an “Indian version of Playboy.” He is also involved in the production of a biopic of his life and an upcoming exhibition featuring his family’s collection of mid-century Indian art.

Since 2006, Gohil’s harrowing coming-out tale has been recounted often, most famously on Oprah in 2007—an appearance that catapulted the humble prince to international fame and made his endearing face a symbol of the developing world’s turbulent road to acceptance of homosexuality. “The show definitely affected me in a big way,” Gohil says. “It opened doors to a lot of things.” And he has gained an affinity for the legendary talk show host. “I would say she is my role model. I realized [on the show] that she is the type of person who believes in authenticity, in genuineness, and I could see a kind of struggle in her eyes. She is the type of person who believes in repairing cracks, which I think is a wonderful job.”

Gohil himself has been repairing cracks for over a decade. Through Lakshya, he has built a support system for individuals living with HIV and AIDS and launched India’s first government home for senior LGBT citizens. He and his staff regularly distribute condoms and encourage safe-sex practices, often to the chagrin of government leaders. “We have been exploited, extorted, blackmailed, and threatened,” he says. But the greater obstacles, he claims, are religious leaders whose narrow interpretation of scripture allows room for only one method of protection: abstinence. “It is very clear who is against us.”

While this work largely consumes Gohil’s days, there is still that pesky issue of who will inherit the throne. Gohil feels he must adopt from within his family. “My descendant must carry on the traditions and be a custodian of our rich cultural heritage,” he says. “And this adoption will necessarily be from the extended family, somebody who is already a royal and somebody who understands the value of our legacy.”

While that search continues, Gohil serves as a sort of touchstone for closeted men and women the world over. Lately, it seems, everywhere he turns, someone is desperate to come out to him. “A lot of people have confided in me,” he says, “and they’ve been from royal families, and not only in India but across the world. They’ve been industrialists, business tycoons, men and women with high-profile lives. Almost every week someone comes out to me.”

Perhaps one of them will be the one. The prince, you see, is looking for love. “I am single and ready to mingle,” he laughs. “And I haven’t been able to find anyone yet.” So what’s his type? “I think more than physical appearances I would give priority to the inner soul of a person, because physical appearances are always changing. Today you might look hunky and tomorrow you may not. We are all changing all the time. But the inner self stays the same, so that is what I would like to focus on.”

vmagazine

The Flesh and Blood of Anna Paquin
Anna Paquin by Sebastian Faena

justjared

Ok. If i didn't know that was Paris Hilton i would've been like: :woot: OMG, who's that:woot: She reminds me of Ana Claudia Michels, wow!

ugh. I don't know if i'm embarassed or what :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->