Vogue Italia September 2015 : Lexi Boling by Steven Meisel

I may actually buy this magazine this year! :shock: The last issue I bought was last years September issue.

Come to think of it, this cover concept is literally the same as Pricciao's winning entry in the cover challenge for The New & Improved Vogue Italia :lol:

i don't really hate the cover as much as everyone else seems to :D

the actual issue is pretty boring, but the couture supplement editorials are amazing, so i'll probably pick this up

also the tim walker ed has a weird feeling, comes off as borderline racist? i don't know

That cover is a disaster! Also, Meisel has become incredibly lazy by shooting campaigns and using the unused shots for covers and eds. He did the same thing with Louis Vuitton Spring 2014 campaign which was later used for Vogue Italia covers and eds. That should be unacceptable and Franca needs to put a stop to it!

Other than Measles crap, the remainder of the issue seems nice. The couture supplement is nice and I'm a sucker for Tim Walker's work so i like that too. Roversi's work is done quite well!

Overall not a bad issue but that cover ruins it and the ridiculousness that is the main ed.

also the tim walker ed has a weird feeling, comes off as borderline racist? i don't know

Really? I don't quite see it that way. To me it looks more like Walker's take on some of Balthus' most famous works, merged with Setsuko's penchant for Japanese sentimentality and the wagasa, recurring themes in her work as well. And to make it not look like a direct facsimile, he incorporated his usual stark setting and fascination with mirrors. It works quite well for me actually.

I think it was clever of Walker to cast Kate for this story. Her maturity gives off a different vibe. With the original artworks the girls are exceptionally young, almost child-like, in overt sexual poses. So much that Balthus' reputation was tainted with paedophilia for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I don't quite see it that way. To me it looks more like Walker's take on some of Balthus' most famous works, merged with Setsuko's penchant for Japanese sentimentality and the wagasa, recurring themes in her work as well. And to make it not look like a direct facsimile, he incorporated his usual stark setting and fascination with mirrors. It works quite well for me actually.

I think it was clever of Walker to cast Kate for this story. Her maturity gives off a different vibe. With the original artworks the girls are exceptionally young, almost child-like, in overt sexual poses. So much that Balthus' reputation was tainted with paedophilia for a long time.

oh i see balthus, but i didn't realize that's his wife in the photos. There's still something about the way she's made to look like her 'servant' that at first sight strikes me weird, but it makes much more sense now (i obviously hadn't read the article)

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this yesterday on instagram and thought it was fan-made ._.

SO BEYOND HAPPY TO SEE POOJA MOR HERE :woot::heart:

provided by @Mat_Cyruss

A model walking the city streets... BUT SHOT FROM BEHIND A CAR WINDOW!!!!!

OMG! HOW REVOLUTIONARY AND TOTALLY EDGY! MEISEL AND VI ARE SO CREATIVE YOU GUYS!

Seriously, the car window thing brings nothing to the image. Most of these gummicky VI covers are so lame. If you don't have anything interesting and original, that's fine, just use a pretty picture. VI is the equivalent of Tumblr these days - trying way too hard. That HC supplement cover is way better. Or why not use a shot with the supers?

I don't buy fashion magazines and don't take fashion that seriously so it's always amusing to me when photogs and editors take it so seriously thinking they're being so deep and profound. It's like they're forever stuck at being 14.

i like some of it

but that cover omg...

if they had just put her in something OTHER than prada, it would have worked.

The cover is awful. I'm not a fan of Lexie and I can't stand those Prada pants, it looks so unproportional. The couture ed is good, but I saw that before by Roversi, it's too repetitive, btw, i'm glad Lineisy and Molly are part of it. Also love Molly's solo ed!
Anyway, my favourite editorial is Kate by Tim, definitely must be the cover.
I was expecting more.

The cover is a little tired, a mixup of the current Miu Miu campaign with Prada clothes, the styling is just too lazy. Some of the eds are pretty good considering, love Maddy Stubbingtons beauty editorial, thanks oxymore for posting!

Some of the editorials are honestly gorgeous in this issue, which makes the choice of cover even more baffling.

Scrapbook is the main ed :smile:

What!? is Meisel dying? :unsure:
This looks like a 'farewell we'll miss you when you're gone editorial.'
And the cover clearly is not the most inspired.

Paolo's works saves the whole month.

Am I the only one who's happy to see Lexi on the cover again ? :lol::lol:
I don't like the cover but the main editorial kinda works so I'm not going to complain.
I'm in love with Lindbergh's ed, Helena Christensen looks amazing as always :wub:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->