Vogue Italia September 2015 : Lexi Boling by Steven Meisel

Quite a few good editorials in here...I must be one of the only ones but I really enjoy 'Scrapbook'; it's reminiscent of Meisel's work from about a decade ago, which means it reads more Nickerson art pretension than Templer's precision from a fashion POV. I can understand why people wouldn't enjoy it though, perhaps less one page cameos from several models would've also helped.

Great to see Karen Alexander in the Lindbergh piece as well; brilliant!

In Love With and Women of Style are absolutely glorious. Actually, the editorials for this issue is superb. I feel a bit disappointed that the cover concept didn’t work with wrong casting and styling. It has all the potential but falls flat.

The couture supplement is fantastic. The cover & main editorial belong in the garbage. Can't believe people were actually upset over Meisel potentially leaving this magazine. Lexi must have some serious dirt on Franca or something, because otherwise you'd have to be completely nuts to give her this cover over one of the images from the Supers editorial..

It really looks like a fan-made cover which is underwhelming at the first sight. But I have to say, I like the cover more and more. Not only because it was photoed by Steven, but also the concept of the whole shotting. The time past, but those amazing moments in scrapbook last forever.The fashion, the attitude, the grace, those things exist deep in your memory. When you grow old and when you look back those glory moments, you will find a sweet smile on your face.

So this is the SEPTEMBER ISSUE of Vogue Italia??? :doh::unsure::mellow::cry:
This is one of the weakest, uninspired and boring covers I have ever seen

The cover is really awful, LAexi doesn't bring anything new to the table neither does the styling.
I do enjoy how ever Mcdean's editorial (That close up of Stella Lucia would've made a better cover) and of course Lindbergh's editorial with 90s models (they also would have made a better cover!!). I don't even understand how they could give them only an editorial but not a cover?? Saskia's editorial isn't bad either but everything else is a snoozefest. I don't even like Sundsbo's editorial and I usually do like his work :ninja:
It's a weak September issue for me but at least they tried with the editorals.

One of the most uninspiring and messy work ever by Meisel. The cover looks fan madde and main story is completely inspid.

Luckily the other eds are much better, especially the couture supplement spreads. Still, VI won't be the Vogue edition saving the September issue this year.

This is one of the weakest, uninspired and boring covers I have ever seen

:blink: Really? You might not like it, but uninspired? This idea is quite inspired, actually; although no too good executed.

A fashion cover shot from a car. Very voyeur and interesting. The outcome is sort of lame, though. It could've been fantastic done the right way.

Scrapbook is totally forgettable and boring. So bad.

And this is issue is pure trash. Why dedicate a whole issue to new photographers if the next month you are going to use the same boring ones you've been using for 20 years? Gimme a rest. I can't with Aldridge, and Roversi is just so passé and boring.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Valentino tribute are really beautiful. Lelia is a great choice for the brand she looks gorgeous with their dresses :smile:

Lexi Boring again? This is why I don't mind the routation with photographers. She got 6 covers, 2 of them solo it's crazy.
Wish Maartje was on the front page. Anyway this look fanmade, really uninspiring. Nah, I can't say he's bringing something more then others for VI.

So who is the third girl on this fold-out? Alexandra Elisabeth Ljadov or...?

If ever there was a non-Meisel editorial that should be on a September cover of VI, it's Lindbergh's story. Forget group shots trying to sell us a new generation of supermodels, just get some of the legendary ones together to remind you what real presence is, on the printed page.

Other than that, it seems business as usual for the magazine. Meisel has always used the magazine as a space to explore and expand on (or repeat) the campaigns he's recently been working on. Sometimes he's used the same models for several covers in a row, other times, it's the ad's aesthetic he's reused for an editorial. I can remember him doing this in the 90s, so it doesn't seem unusual to me. Yes, this approach can be less than successful, if it doesn't seem to go anywhere, beyond what you've seen in the campaign imagery, or you're already sick of the 'face', but it's how he's always done things.

The main issue has the virtue of being full of ads, but over the years, I've come to like the couture supplement a lot more than the main issue, with its endless Valentino editorials, and general visual opulence, and it seems that this one will be no different.

You asked for Meisel? Here he is. Terrible. Please, new kids in town, you are forgiven.

And by the way: why isn't Roversi VI main photographer? Everything he does is so beautiful and "Italian". His couture editorials are the best thing in this magazine and hey, I'm Tim Walker's number one fan! But damn, Roversi killed it.

I like the cover's concept but imo Lexy is so dull! and the color scheme is very vomity... I can only see two pictures of the main editorial, is it just me? a host issue?

The rest of the issue is very interesting and solid, Meisel's seems to be the weakest editorial... such great photographers all in one issue: Aldridge, Linbergh, Walker, Roversi, Solve... :smile:

Anyone knows if there's something about FNO on this issue?

And by the way: why isn't Roversi VI main photographer?

they bore me to tears, part of the reason why i don't buy the magazine anymore. pages and pages of the SAME IMAGE.

at least meisel is never guilty of that, even when he does something ugly at least it's a change

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
todayfendi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->