Vogue Paris March 2015 : Kate, Daria & Lara by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

For once I'm glad I just renewed my subscription.
Awesome covers, can't wait to see which one I will receive.

the extreme photoshop on their faces really ruined some badass covers

They need to switch up the photographers. Mert and Marcus one month, Sorrent and inez and vinoodh the next and maybe they could add Lindbergh and Nick Knight to the equation? Plus David Sims.

They need to get Brana Wolf and Melanie ward to contribute now that they're freelancers and find a way to bring back Marie Amelie Sauve. Jillian Davison would also be a nice fit in my opinion because she'd bring a sense of romance to an oversexed publication. Brana could keep it cool, french, and elegant, and Melanie ward could do the edgier avant-hard stuff.

As far as writers I'd make it more international. Suzy Menkes is well versed in French, they could also offer a job to the former Bazaar Espana EIC.

It has been a year and half since Daria last appeared on VP, definitely buying this issue!! can't wait to see Daria all glammed up

I know this part should be on The Business of Magazines Thread but since it was brought up...

From my understanding of their circulation average per year:
a. Column 1 indicates the year of publication
b. Column 2 indicates the average of issues printed
c. Column 3 indicates the average issues sold in France
d. Column 4 indicates the average issues sold Internationally

2010 - 215,349 | 121,055 | 39,680
2011 - 223 263 | 121,103 | 39,869
2012 - 221 856 | 122,618 | 36,168
2013 - 219 900 | 118,024 | 32,477
2014 - 219,930 | 121,871 | 35,426 (DSH)
OJD, Vogue Paris Media Kit

I think the sales are indeed okay because it grew instead of fell even after the departure of Carine. There was a demise on the year 2013 (especially some issues from this year were really stale and uninspiring). Well at least, they got back up during 2014.

Although, can someone clarify the 2014 data. It is on their 2015 media kit so it has to be the data for 2014 but on OJD, it states 2013/2014. So I'm not really sure.

Interesting figures. So basically, since Alt has taken the helm, the sales of the magazine have stayed the same in France (and in some years increased), but international sales have plummeted. Presumably French buyers are purchasing the magazine not just for the imagery, but also for the editorial content, which they can actually read, whereas most international buyers only buy the magazine for the photographs inside. Essentially, then, these numbers suggest that the photographic content of the magazine is not capturing the attention of buyers like it used to when Carine was EIC, but that perhaps the written content of the magazine may have improved. I don't really know if this is the case since I don't read French, though. But French readers have stayed loyal for some reason.

Interesting figures. So basically, since Alt has taken the helm, the sales of the magazine have stayed the same in France (and in some years increased), but international sales have plummeted. Presumably French buyers are purchasing the magazine not just for the imagery, but also for the editorial content, which they can actually read, whereas most international buyers only buy the magazine for the photographs inside. Essentially, then, these numbers suggest that the photographic content of the magazine is not capturing the attention of buyers like it used to when Carine was EIC, but that perhaps the written content of the magazine may have improved. I don't really know if this is the case since I don't read French, though. But French readers have stayed loyal for some reason.

Bingo!! I saw it that way as well. I too cannot vouch, as I'm not French, but I think the reason they're thriving is because Vogue Paris is now more French/Paris-centric? I think I'll just end right here because I sense I'm digging a hole for myself again.

Of late, Vogue Paris has been so hit and miss for me (the December/January issue was a huge disappointment) but these three covers get a huge round of applause from me. I understand where everyone's coming from with the recycled idea, yet why change a winning formula? Personally, I couldn't have asked for a better set of covers and when Miss Dalloway mentioned the Sharon Stone resemblance.. I was even more sold!

Love the covers, but I was a tad disappointed that it wasn't the 3 of them on ONE cover.

^When?

Multicovers are very boring. They are so '6 years ago'.

^ I also don't remember any cover from Vogue Paris that has Kate, Lara & Daria on 1 cover.

But, there are covers that featured the 3 of them in 1 cover (W Magazine - Summer Camp and the one from last year). Although these have been executed by other publications, it's still a fresh idea for VP to try

^New for VP, but it is not exactly fresh when another publication has done it. But hey, the W cover was lovely. I wouldn't mind another:wink:

It's a good thing these covers provided something to talk about because I'm pretty sure this issue will be awful.

Some of the content/images from the editorials have been posted, but it's really boring in contrast with their bold covers , and it doesn't look like the cover girls got an editorial for some reason...There also will be some articles on McQueen, Jeanne Lanvin/Alber Elbaz, Bjork and Juliette Binoche.

http://issuu.com/condenastfr/docs/feuilletage-24mov2/5?e=15601696/11434847

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the content/images from the editorials have been posted, but it's really boring in contrast with their bold covers , and it doesn't look like the cover girls got an editorial for some reason...There also will be some articles on McQueen, Jeanne Lanvin/Alber Elbaz, Bjork and Juliette Binoche.

Thanks a lot for the link. I cant say I'm looking forward to the contents, looks like it will be the usual, only less beach shots and sunshine. We've had such a dour winter, would it hurt to cheer things up a little?

Actually I like it so far from the ISSUU link.
Mert & Marcus editorial looks super like Steven Meisel.

Does anyone know who the two models are in the Mert and Marcus ed?
It kinda looks like Dalianah Arekion and Ashleigh Good but i'm unsure..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->