Vogue Paris March 2017 : Valentina Sampaio by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

I love it! It's glamorous and the covers are great.

Putting a transgender woman on the cover of VP is actually quite brave when you know about all the social things that are happening in the country and when you know about the overall context.

Valentina received the usual VP treatment: full glamour, full excess and decadence.

French society is a bit bourgeoise and slightly conservative. So, we don't see transgender women in the street, in ads or anywhere else. Recently they had a transgender woman doing some things on french TV but it's all quite reserved to a "niche".

I think that it's great. I like the cover and voila. Sometimes here on TFS or on the internet, we tend to be cynical about everything because we are kinda in a bubble.

Today, more than ever, equality is still a goal and not an accomplishment...
And if Vogue Paris can contribute even in a most "superficial way" as some of you thinks...then i applaud!

I couldn't agree with you more.

I get why they had to place "transgender" on the cover. If they didn't, the message wouldn't be told. Come to think of it, if they didn't put "transgender" I wouldn't even guess that she was. I just see a very beautiful woman -- which is not wrong. But the thing is, the message here is representation. If they didn't put the word there, people would just see a woman, and think it's the same old VP cover.

And instead of reducing this into a "gimmick", why not just focus on the fact that a transgender is finally on the cover of Vogue? Why not just celebrate that? Look at how far we've come. Yes, it might seem a bit gimmicky, but who cares? Anna, the EIC of one of the most political and feminist Vogue edition couldn't even risk putting a transgender on the cover, or at least feature them. Alt did. And if she's milking its publicity, let her. At least she did something to represent them. At least she did something no other Vogue edition, no matter how "diverse" they project themselves to be, dared to do.

And is this how it will go from hereon? If some other magazine puts a transgender on the cover, will it be immediately reduced to a gimmick? A stunt? A commodification of a social cause?

And until and unless that this becomes a norm, every magazine out there who follows suit, is, in my eyes, brave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with MOM, it's a great image and she's beautiful woman,so I think the "transgender tag" is indeed somewhat necessary if they want to create an impact. And we have to remember that relatively speaking this is a popular, mainstream mag, the fact this image will be all over Paris and with that tagline does make a difference.

^you know Vogue Paris is being sell not only in Paris but in all over the country :lol:

I had never heard of this girl before but she's stunning!!
The first cover is quite good, very glamorous and thus very VP.

I love it! It's glamorous and the covers are great.

Putting a transgender woman on the cover of VP is actually quite brave when you know about all the social things that are happening in the country and when you know about the overall context.
Yes they had a travestie (Andre J) in the cover by Bruce Weber but even if it was controversial, it was done with a lot of humor and as VP is edgy, it was just seen as another provocation by the queen of provocation.

They had Lea T in the magazine while she was still transitionning but this is different because Valentina is portrated as a woman who owns her sexuality, her power and her feminity. Not to say that Lea did not but Valentina received the usual VP treatment: full glamour, full excess and decadence.

Caitlyn Jenner wasn't received with that much acclaimed here in France so, this has nothing to do with it.

French society is a bit bourgeoise and slightly conservative. So, we don't see transgender women in the street, in ads or anywhere else. Recently they had a transgender woman doing some things on french TV but it's all quite reserved to a "niche".

I think that it's great. I like the cover and voila. Sometimes here on TFS or on the internet, we tend to be cynical about everything because we are kinda in a bubble.
Yes, as Emmanuelle said in the interview, it should be normal to put a beautiful woman on a cover of a magazine without mentionning that she was born as a male if the case but we are not there.

Today, more than ever, equality is still a goal and not an accomplishment...
And if Vogue Paris can contribute even in a most "superficial way" as some of you thinks...then i applaud!

I agree on every word Lola!

I get why they had to place "transgender" on the cover. If they didn't, the message wouldn't be told. Come to think of it, if they didn't put "transgender" I wouldn't even guess that she was. I just see a very beautiful woman -- which is not wrong. But the thing is, the message here is representation. If they didn't put the word there, people would just see a woman, and think it's the same old VP cover.

And instead of reducing this into a "gimmick", why not just focus on the fact that a transgender is finally on the cover of Vogue? Why not just celebrate that? Look at how far we've come. Yes, it might seem a bit gimmicky, but who cares? Anna, the EIC of one of the most political and feminist Vogue edition couldn't even risk putting a transgender on the cover, or at least feature them. Alt did. And if she's milking its publicity, let her. At least she did something to represent them. At least she did something no other Vogue edition, no matter how "diverse" they project themselves to be, dared to do.

And is this how it will go from hereon? If some other magazine puts a transgender on the cover, will it be immediately reduced to a gimmick? A stunt? A commodification of a social cause?

And until and unless that this becomes a norm, every magazine out there who follows suit, is, in my eyes, brave.

Loved what you have said MON, yes let's celebrate and stop being cynical...

^you know Vogue Paris is being sell not only in Paris but in all over the country :lol:

Really!!!!!? I didn't knew! I always wondered how amazing it was that i could also buy it in London but the rest of France did not have the previlege.

In a way, that would be equality, because it's no different to any celebrity who appears on the front of a magazine, trying to 'break the internet' like Kim Kardashian, or an actress talking to us about 'strong women' while promoting ticket sales for their latest film or their side business. Using transgendered people isn't a stand-alone stunt, it's just this month's stunt.

Most magazines are glorified catalogues, and all such content is commodified to a large degree.

Commercial titles - like most Vogues - have a tiny bit of freedom to exercise a social conscience, but even then, they mostly follow current fashions in thought, rather than striking out on their own. They can't afford to upset the readers, the advertisers, or the internet. And less-commercial titles don't seem to make the most of what they could do to further certain causes.

Magazines have been in my life for decades, but no matter how many of my dreams their content has inspired, I don't have ANY romantic notions about the nature of their business, and the decisions they make.

More of Valentina..
All pictures credits from Fashion Gone Rogue, Vogue Paris website

Attachments

• 02-french-vogue-cover-march-2017.jpg
    02-french-vogue-cover-march-2017.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Valentina-Sampaio-Vogue-Paris-March-2017-Photoshoot05.jpg
    Valentina-Sampaio-Vogue-Paris-March-2017-Photoshoot05.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Valentina-Sampaio-Vogue-Paris-March-2017-Photoshoot06.jpg
    Valentina-Sampaio-Vogue-Paris-March-2017-Photoshoot06.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 25
  • light_jpg_6834_jpeg_1159.jpeg_north_1160x_white.jpg
    light_jpg_6834_jpeg_1159.jpeg_north_1160x_white.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 03-french-vogue-cover-march-2017.jpg
    03-french-vogue-cover-march-2017.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 23
In a way, that would be equality, because it's no different to any celebrity who appears on the front of a magazine, trying to 'break the internet' like Kim Kardashian, or an actress talking to us about 'strong women' while promoting ticket sales for their latest film or their side business. Using transgendered people isn't a stand-alone stunt, it's just this month's stunt.

Most magazines are glorified catalogues, and all such content is commodified to a large degree.

Commercial titles - like most Vogues - have a tiny bit of freedom to exercise a social conscience, but even then, they mostly follow current fashions in thought, rather than striking out on their own. They can't afford to upset the readers, the advertisers, or the internet. And less-commercial titles don't seem to make the most of what they could do to further certain causes.

Magazines have been in my life for decades, but no matter how many of my dreams their content has inspired, I don't have ANY romantic notions about the nature of their business, and the decisions they make.

Endorsed, endorsed, endorsed!!!! I have zero qualms with being called 'cynical' if it means I'm see beyond the smoke and mirrors.

What a fantastic achievement for Valentina :heart:

I agree with the comments that it shouldn't matter whether she is transgender or not, it just shouldn't. But at the same time, we are still so behind in society and transgender people are being bashed, mocked, made fun of or worse. So putting a transgender model on the cover of Vogue Paris is a big statement and should be celebrated.

Valentina
Photographers:
Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott
Stylist: Emmanuelle Alt
Model: Valentina Sampaio
Make-Up: Isamaya Ffrench
Hair: Paul Hanlon

instagram/vogueparis & visualizing.fashion

Un Certain Sourrire
Photographer:
David Sims
Stylist: Emmanuelle Alt
Model: Othilia Simon
Make-Up: Hiromi Ueda
Hair: Paul Hanlon

visualizing.fashion

Sur la Route
Photographer:
Mikael Jansson
Stylist: Anastasia Barbieri
Model: Edie Campbell
Make-Up: Lynsey Alexander
Hair: Shay Ashual

visualizing.fashion

Roller Girl
Photographer:
Terry Richardson
Stylist: Geraldine Saglio
Model: Luna Bijl
Make-Up: Kanako Takase
Hair: James Pecis

visualizing.fashion

Tissage de Fibres
Photographer:
Claudia Knoepfel
Stylist: Celia Azoulay
Model: Jena Goldsack
Make-Up: Christelle Cocquet
Hair: Damien Boissinot

visualizing.fashion

Miss Vogue
Photographer:
Christian MacDonald
Stylist: Geraldine Saglio
Model: Mica Arganaraz
Make-Up: Petros Petrohilos
Hair: Shon

visualizing.fashion

Although it is nothing new because Carine published a photo of Lea T which you could almost see the dick...anyway I'm happy Alt pushes one step forward to make it into a real cover. This would be my first issue I buy under Alt..:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sruggirello
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->