What effects do models have on you?

I'm not a 'model' person. I'm a 'fashion' person. The two do not always go together hand in hand!
I am very sick of models right now. It makes me feel uncomfortable to see girls who look younger than me (15) wearing clothes intended to be worn by woman. I find it unnatural. I feel pressured to be thin when I look at them, but I'm so ashamed of that because I've always felt so strongly that I should never let fashion's ideals influence my own views of my body. I always try to gain perspective when I look at models like Johana Stickland or Snejana Knock-knees Onopka (or whatever bony lanky girl the model people have plucked out of a third world country and are touting as the new it girl) ; one) they do not look good, and two) it's just a marketing technique to make me feel bad about myself so I will buy new clothes!! It's sad when models make a size two girl feel fat, haha.

It makes me sad to see that the busiest forum here is the model forum.

Pity. To me, a lot of female models look terribly unhappy and unhealthy to me, until they get off the catwalk. Then they seem to come alive! Even in still photography, mainstream models are simply too thin to really show clothing in a realistic fashion. Putting haute couture on a hangar instead of a real human being seems counterproductive to good business practices, and the fine art of fashion, but I do have a pet peeve when it comes to ultrathin.

Although they are generally slender, male models mostly have a great deal of muscle tone - something I wish to see more of on female models. I mean, women do have muscles after all. Why do so many models slim down to mere walking sticks?? I don't believe it does justice to the work of designers or inform the viewing (and purchasing) public at all.

Jane Loves Marc said:
....I am very sick of models right now....

I agree about young models wearing mature style clothes is strange and very unnatural.
However i don't 100% agree that it's models' fault you feel pressure to be thin. It's also about self-confidence and how you take those airbrushed photos everywhere. :flower: I'm shocked just to think about i push some women to be bony just because i'm borned to be skinny and i work as a model, i didn't do anything bad. :lol: :shock: It's rather the fashion industry but that's another topic. ^_^

When I'm a designer, I'm going to go out on the streets of New York, and I'm going to find different women of different sizes and shapes and put them in my clothes. Afterall, that's what clothes are all about, wearing them. Not many girls look like these models and it turns clothes into a need to be thin not just to be clothed.

Am I making any sense?

Sometimes they make me feel ugly, sometimes they make me want to stuff my face, sometimes they make me go "Ooooooooh, so beautiful!"

Depends on the day really.

I like most models for their beauty (face and body). But there are some that are dangerously underweight.

Good influence, they inspire me to adopt their style.

Role models? Nope.

Positive.

I was interested in models at young age, reading fashion mags that my mother and sister bought. Then I scored a first job modeling for a sporting print ad in highschool. Couldn't proceed with modeling as it was against my father's "wishes" and I needed to focus on my academic carrer but I've always kept my interest to this day.

:lol:

They make me happy to be flat-chested :clap:
And make me want to lose more weight :innocent:
But I love and adore my favourite models.

couturex said:
When I'm a designer, I'm going to go out on the streets of New York, and I'm going to find different women of different sizes and shapes and put them in my clothes. Afterall, that's what clothes are all about, wearing them. Not many girls look like these models and it turns clothes into a need to be thin not just to be clothed.

Am I making any sense?

Makes absolute sense to me... real clothing for real people! Don't forget the men, though!

Jane Loves Marc said:
It makes me sad to see that the busiest forum here is the model forum.

Add the Star Style forum to that sentence, then we are there ! :mellow: :ninja: ...

they make me want to go eat a creme egg. or 3.

Multitudes said:
Add the Star Style forum to that sentence, then we are there ! :mellow: :ninja: ...

d'accord! There are so many substantive discussions on 'other than model/star' threads, amazing art, fashion, design, architecture, thoughts.... the 'oooh, she's so cute' concept just leaves me flat. Yet, one man's ceiling is another man's floor. :innocent: Perhaps people interested in model/star threads will eventually find their way to the other stunning information and resources available on tFS.

idk really. i see them as integral to fashion. fashion wouldn't be as nice to look at without models to model them. there?s just something to it when you see a wonderful dress moving and swishing on a person. you know?

i like models. they?re just human. but i do like them. i just don?t know what exactly it is that i like. i can?t pinpoint it.

SomethingElse said:
d'accord! There are so many substantive discussions on 'other than model/star' threads, amazing art, fashion, design, architecture, thoughts.... the 'oooh, she's so cute' concept just leaves me flat. Yet, one man's ceiling is another man's floor. :innocent: Perhaps people interested in model/star threads will eventually find their way to the other stunning information and resources available on tFS.

That's very romantic! ... but you're in luck, I like romantic, and if you throw in a taste for heavy broading of mass, waves and intensities, multiplication of line in width, fold, unfold and refold, a Helmut Lang dress, a revolution of desires, Spinazzi's and Corradini's late masterpieces "Faith" and "Modesty", Matter that unfolds its pleats at great length, in extension, becoming intense, becoming animal, becoming imperceptible and a couple bottle of red wine(if that can do it ...), then I'm there :meow: ...

The major effect models have on me is to make me shake my head and think, that is not what legs (or other body part I'm noticing) are supposed to look like ...

It makes me sad when I see models looking unhappy, unhealthy, or lost ...

I also find that seeing clothes on them doesn't give me much idea, usually, of what they're going to look like on me & my curves. I often think the way clothes look on a "real" (i.e., more normal shaped, models are outside the norm as far as I can tell) person is an improvement on the way they look on a model. Yes, a model allows you to see "the clothes," but they are wearable art ... what's the point if they won't look like that on you?? Just my POV ^_^

I finally have developed my ideal body image aesthetic. My conclusion is that, they are too thin, which implies they are aesthetically NOT pleasing. I like healthy muscular people.... models are too fragile and weak.... I get scared when I see them, just bones sticking out everywhere you look...... ew

Sometimes.. i want to be them, if i see a perfect body.. i go like; ommygawd, but they are mainly there to project an image.. do i want to but a designer item because of them/ Not always.. sometimes they are just emty..

They have also made me SO happy I don't have curves, in contradiction to what mot guys want..lol.. i find it beautiful. Which is great.

DJGroove said:
they inspire me
oh absolutely. :crush:

they're my stars, my darlings, i want to pamper them and if i had money i'd build them shrines. :ninja:

no kidding! :heart: :lol:

Do they make you feel good/bad about yourself?
they actually make me feel good, i like the variety of models, a lot of them are not beautiful in a conventional way, look at devon aoki, alex wek, etc.
also i have a very skinny noyish body, until 9th grade when i have cropped hair sometimes when i asked for rest room, people pointed the boy's one for me LOL. it's nice to see skinny flat chested people like me, although i'm not as unique and tall as them LOL

Do they have a good/bad influence on you?
good, they gave me self confidence.

RoleModels?
Negative or Positive, it's really interesting to know what effects they have on you!
Also when did you first start to take an interest in them?

hmmm, not exactly, but i love how the model dressed. not like super well prepared and dressed as celebrities, models dressed more unique and personal. i like kate moss in particular, she dressed very casually and often seen in the same pants or jackets a lot of times, she's more "human" to me.
it encourages me to buy essential pieces only, not about the quantity but about which key pieces can complete your whole outlook.
i first interested in models when i saw the first CK ad by kate moss when i was in junior high, i put the ads on my wall along with guess' anna nicole smith, drew barrymore, and D&G ad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->