What is the "disco sl*t" look?

I've got a lot of hope riding on that Halston show.

I hope it isn't strictly a greatest hits thing, and that the Rachael Zoe influence is minimal.

haha the title made me laugh i just had to read what this was about :lol:

i too thought Charlie's Angels with a little bit of Abba thrown in ..... HAH !

Last edited by a moderator:
From style.com - the male and female disco sluts par excellence.

Attachments

• halston.jpg
    halston.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 25
As can be seen from all the pictures posted in this thread, the disco era has been referenced to death during the last ten years. I'll be hard pressed to think of anything new to be squeezed out of it, at least by way of the glamour aspect of it.

Miuccia Prada has taken a slightly different route in her latest collections: the reference point is certainly seventies, but instead of emphasizing the sleekness and glam (which, after the nineties, has been watered down to the mainstream to such a way that people no longer even recognize it's origins) she's played out the psychedelic, dark side of the era.

In my opinion such a change of approach is essential for the seventies style to really become relevant again. Otherwise we'll in fact just be recycling the nineties in a way that the general public still thinks of as the norm - and is that really the crowd tFsers want to identify with? :ninja: :lol:

Yes, disco was done in the 90s, but in an oiled up unsophisticated way. It was more like post 80s p*rn, less like the 70s where even p*rn was wonderful :lol::wink:

from net-a-porter.com, i think it goes with this topic:

studio54-1.jpg

studio54-2.jpg

Yes, disco was done in the 90s, but in an oiled up unsophisticated way. It was more like post 80s p*rn, less like the 70s where even p*rn was wonderful :lol::wink:

Yeah the 90s were like an extension of the mid 80s , in terms of dressier fashion , as minimalism was ruling the decade for day wear. I disagree totally , in that its not the clothes only , but the mood and image. Yeah anyone can wear a slinky halter top , but thats not the point , its how you put it together . To the common consumer , this look has yet to hit the mainstream, tom ford tried to bring this look in the late 90s ,after his low rise velvet collection in 96 but it didnt catch on ,as the time wasnt right and he was ahead of his time. Well right now the time is right , people are fed up of wearing whiskered jeans and a forever 21/HM baby doll top , they want to feel glamorous and fabulous again, its sort of an escapism, a sexy sophisticated one at that.

Yeah the 90s were like an extension of the mid 80s , in terms of dressier fashion , as minimalism was ruling the decade for day wear. I disagree totally , in that its not the clothes only , but the mood and image. Yeah anyone can wear a slinky halter top , but thats not the point , its how you put it together . To the common consumer , this look has yet to hit the mainstream, tom ford tried to bring this look in the late 90s ,after his low rise velvet collection in 96 but it didnt catch on ,as the time wasnt right and he was ahead of his time. Well right now the time is right , people are fed up of wearing whiskered jeans and a forever 21/HM baby doll top , they want to feel glamorous and fabulous again, its sort of an escapism, a sexy sophisticated one at that.

I'm not at all sure what you totally disagree with, but I think the presentation of women as oiled up meek objects does not go terribly well with the women we've talked about in this thread. They weren't anybody's b*****es and you could tell from looking at them, mostly because of their demeanor.

Great retrospective stuff posted! I'm looking forward too to the relaunch of Halston! I wonder if Bianca Jagger and soem of his friends will attend. Although it's maybe not the right topic, but since it's related to this trend and its future, could news of the event or links be posted here? BTW I dunno why but I think Mario Testino wants to be the Halston of our time, not by his style, but because of his circle of friends, and they look a bit similar.

I'm not at all sure what you totally disagree with, but I think the presentation of women as oiled up meek objects does not go terribly well with the women we've talked about in this thread. They weren't anybody's b*****es and you could tell from looking at them, mostly because of their demeanor.

I was supporting your arguement

Well, the Halston pictures are up and it seems they decided to not go with a very "Halston Studio 54" look this season. This would have been the perfect season for it though as the Disco look is about to take off. The boys at Proenza did gold sequined pants and many looks in the collection are very sophisticated and have a disco edge to them.

This gorgeous little jewel by David Lynch :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of these are okay (I like the Grecian-like dresses)...but I honestly really am not a fan of the 70s clothes. It just screams tacky to me.

This is a cool thread! and what a coincidence.. I'm going to a seventies party next month! B)

None of these are trashy enough, heavy on the disco, not so much on the sl*t!!
Yesterday I bought a japanese street style book and I saw a picture of this cute girl wearing high waisted caramel coloured velour bellbottoms with a cropped off-white teeshirt that said 'Peaches' on it, it looked genuinely vintage. She had on trashy platforms too. I loved it so much, I wish I could scan it...it made me think of this thread!

Melisande, that David Lynch ad is so cool!!

well one shouldered dresses , killer heels , harem pants, high waist pants were big for fall , and the retun of the disco sl*t fabric of choice jersey and polyester (100%) is being used by big name designers , I thought the dresses at Lanvin (best show of the season ) , captured that essence , it wasnt sl*tty but it had sultry glamour evocative of that era .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dm4048a
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->