Carine Roitfeld leaves Vogue Paris *Update* Emmanuelle Alt named new Editor-in-Chief

^Yeah... I don't see her celebrating VP's 100th anniversary. I give her two or three years.

Hopefully Daria will be her first cover model, but I've got a feeling it will be Kate.

If Kate won't be on the cover of Carine's last issue in March, that's what I really want and think it will make a big sense.

I think her first cover should be something new : Like no Daria,Kate or Natasha. I'd love it.

For Emmanuelle's inaugural issue, Daria Werbowy is on the cover wearing a Balmain jacket and Isabel Marant pants~

This made me smile, but...

I was delighted by news of Emmanuelle's appointment.

For me, Paris Vogue - and the aesthetic jointly created by Roitfeld and Alt - isn't broken. So why try to fix it or do something radically different?

According to our reliable sources, Roitfeld and Alt haven’t been getting along recently. Roitfeld went to Jonathan Newhouse, complaining that “something had to be done” about the situation. Newhouse, “fed up” with Roitfeld’s shady dealings–that Balenciaga thing we reported on a year ago, the stuff Racked reported on last month–told the editor that the thing to be done was her resignation.

Given LVMH, Balenciaga, and other labels’ withdrawal from advertising in the magazine over the last year, this explanation doesn’t sound so crazy to us.
fashionista

Delighted Emmanuelle is confirmed to replace Carine. Without a doubt, Alt's the most deserving choice for the job. Vogue Paris is impeccable as it is, I'm assuming there won't be any drastic change.

I'm so happy :clap: I think Alt deserves this job. Congratulations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Romatet Xavier, CEO of Conde Nast Publications, has appointed to the position of Emmanuelle Alt editor of Vogue Paris. He answers our questions about this appointment and his vision for the future of the magazine.

You just named Emmanuelle Alt to the editor in chief of Vogue Paris. Why?
I wanted to lean on someone who has one eye that is recognized and the confidence the world of fashion. Someone introduced very, respected both as a fashion editor and stylist, two qualities possessed by Emmanuelle Alt. I also wished that Paris Vogue editor has a French, gold in France, Emmanuelle Alt, Carine Roitfeld with, is the best.
I do not want to not change the positioning of Paris Vogue, whose success is undeniable: I wanted to ensure the continuity and the same level of quality and demanding , own the magazine.

What fashion vision for the magazine this change induces it?
What I want is that Paris Vogue is very open, whether a magazine where all can express feelings, where all styles could exist. Magazine where all speak because they have talent. Emmanuelle Alt is able to open the magazine at that.

How do you see the next evolution of the magazine? What will you think Paris Vogue in 5 years?
We've obviously talked to Emmanuelle Alt and the magazine has before him three fields of development. Firstly, know-how of Vogue Paris does not apply to fashion. It must radiate elsewhere and editorial requirement must be developed in all sectors and pages of the newspaper: Beauty, Jewelry, Part Magazine.
The second field of development of Vogue Paris is located in the brand extension: the spirit of Vogue Paris must be found everywhere, in all spaces and new media such as Digital, iPad, iPhone ... Emmanuelle Alt will be involved, for example, in redesigning the site of Vogue or in the application iPad magazine.
Finally, we must multiply the events that make the brand Vogue accessible to everyone. Later this year, there will be an exhibition on Paris Vogue, etc..
In 5 years, Vogue Paris must be a registered multiple, global, by the plurality of its forms of expression and universal: the original French, Vogue Paris has become a reference even more universal now recognized around the world, from America to China, via India and Japan.

Translated by Google

What I want is that Paris Vogue is very open, whether a magazine where all can express feelings, where all styles could exist.

:lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Hmmm... this appointment is a let down for me.

Anyway, I guess we'll see come April. With small expectations, I just hope for the best.

You've got to be kidding me. This is such a huge let down, although (let's face it) it was expected.

^ the original article from the NYTimes.com by CATHY HORYN

French Vogue Names New Editor

GIVING the fashion world something to talk about is what the fashion world seems to do best. Today, less than a month after Carine Roitfeld announced she would leave the editor in chief’s job at French Vogue, the magazine named Emmanuelle Alt to succeed her, starting Feb. 1.

Ms. Alt had been the magazine’s fashion director since 2000, when Ms. Roitfeld became editor. During that period, circulation rose from just under 100,000 to more than 140,000 last year, and the magazine quickly became known for bold, if not controversial, fashion layouts — many of them styled by Ms. Alt.

The decision to elevate her suggests that the magazine’s owner, Condé Nast International, does not want to change course — at least for the time being. “Vogue Paris is doing very well, and I wanted to entrust the editorship to someone who can provide continuity while bringing new life,” Xavier Romatet, the president of Condé Nast France, said on the magazine’s Web site.

Ms. Alt, tall, lanky and often dressed in skinny jeans and a fashionably worn leather jacket, worked at a number of French women’s magazines, usually in a freelance capacity, before joining French Vogue. In life as well as in French Vogue’s pages, her almost boyish, rock ’n’ roll style was a counterpoint to Ms. Roitfeld’s sexy, frankly materialistic look. They were a team, however, representing the magazine in the front row.

Fabien Baron, who was the magazine’s creative director until two years ago, called Ms. Alt the logical choice, given her contacts in the fashion establishment and with top photographers, and he said he thought she would make the magazine more accessible to readers. “She’s more commercial than Carine — in a good way,” he said. “She’s looser, more connected to the street.”

Ms. Roitfeld’s decision to resign stunned many people in the industry, and almost immediately there was speculation about the causes. Those rumblings centered on her December/January issue, devoted mostly to Tom Ford — for whom she played muse in the 1990s when he was the designer at Gucci. Even Mr. Baron, a fan, said the issue suffered from too-muchness.

“Too many lights on the Christmas tree, you can’t see the tree anymore,” is how Mr. Baron described the effect of the Tom Ford noel issue. Can her former deputy add more ingredients without spoiling the essential flavor? “That’s the question that remains,” Mr. Baron said, adding that Ms. Alt has had ample time and training to know what kind of magazine she wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
So with Alt as EIC it would mean we're gonna find some Balenciaga between Balmain and Marant now, I guess.

I have to wonder if Emanuelle isn't a transitional editor though while they look for someone else in the meantime. I think she'll last 5, maybe 6 years at the most.

I got this impression too. I feel like since Carine's departure was so sudden and they had very little time to name a new EIC and to experiment, they chose someone who already perfectly knew the magazine and the team, had prestigious contacts, so that in the end it's definitely a saving of time and less risky. So yeah maybe they're searching for someone else meanwhile..unless Alt's VP proves to be very successful.

The decision was a no brainer really....I am happy for Emmanuelle.
Yes we maybe big community but we don't shift magazine sales unfortunately! This is not Apple!

Well good luck Emmanuelle. It's going to be interesting and I can't say I'm surprised she got it. I just hope the rumours aren't true and that she and Carine have had a falling out.

I personally would love if Julia Von Boehm came back to do Emmanuelle's old job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->